Seed Avatar Step-by-Step

LoFiLoFi Posts: 6 Developer
edited November 2014 in Art
I was asked to repost this to the new forum, so here it is! Whether or not it's helpful, at least it might give you a little bit of a laugh. :P

Anyways, this is just a basic jist of how I did everyone's (well, most everyone's) seed-ified portraits. If you have any specific questions too, I'll be happy to answer~
@coronandco
lofrequency.tumblr.com
[email protected]

Comments

• PamcakesPamcakes Posts: 738 Seed
    Awesome! Big help :D
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • FreemanFreeman Posts: 141
    So by giving us this magnificent example, you have defeated the purpose of even creating any other pieces of art. Pack it up everyone, we're done here.
  • LeifLeif Posts: 361 Seed
    Thanks LoFi. I need all the help I can get!
    otViQlH.png
  • ValidifyedValidifyed Posts: 612 Seed
    Pretty cool :D
  • VisigothVisigoth Posts: 268
    edited September 2013
    that's really cool, I missed that the first time round :( man the new forums rock...

psh... lol, look at LoFi breaking the Forums (we seriously need an auto scale for attachments)
    2mrSQTP.png
    tqJH8d0.png L8gIJPq.png HS9Ak7Z.png bJiq4Rv.png
  • Oh wow! This is soooo cool thank you so much! This'll be perfect start to create my own :D
    18.jpg
    2.jpg
  • I saw this and couldn't help but try it myself, I'm not the best artist by any means and this sure was hard to do in MS paint but here it is:

B5wQH3p.png

Although I didn't do it from a photo so much as an old drawing I did of this same character, he's more or less a hired assassin but doesn't take just any contract he likes to be involved in taking down bad people and only when evidence is provided, a sort of adjudicator for coin :P

Also any criticism would be welcome, I haven't draw or done pixel art for years, its been too long. Oh and thanks LoFi for putting it up :)
  • JoeJoe Posts: 264 Seed
    Axtrivium wrote:
    I saw this and couldn't help but try it myself, I'm not the best artist by any means and this sure was hard to do in MS paint but here it is:

B5wQH3p.png

Although I didn't do it from a photo so much as an old drawing I did of this same character, he's more or less a hired assassin but doesn't take just any contract he likes to be involved in taking down bad people and only when evidence is provided, a sort of adjudicator for coin :P

Also any criticism would be welcome, I haven't draw or done pixel art for years, its been too long. Oh and thanks LoFi for putting it up :)
    I actually really like it! Perhaps slightly more pixelated than the example above, but I still like it. :mrgreen:
  • Joe wrote:
    I actually really like it! Perhaps slightly more pixelated than the example above, but I still like it. :mrgreen:
    Thanks Joe! I don't have photoshop or anything like that at my disposal so I had to make do with the pixelation but not anymore!

The lovely Pamcakes tried her hand at it and I loved it so its now my avatar, here's a side by side comparison of the two;

axtriviumsmaller_zps9a8fe7c2.png || glao3V9.png

As you can see my depth perception isn't the best when drawing haha and she managed to capture perfectly the vision of my character so I'm ecstatic to say the least :mrgreen:
    I'd love to show the bigger version but it takes up the whole screen almost!
  • Very cool, Congrats.
    2mrSQTP.png
  • PamcakesPamcakes Posts: 738 Seed
    tumblr_inline_mgr5x2azBW1qcqwuv.gif
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • Axtrivium wrote:
    I saw this and couldn't help but try it myself, I'm not the best artist by any means and this sure was hard to do in MS paint but here it is:

B5wQH3p.png

You think yours was bad :P this is the one I'm trying to draw currently.

2134234.jpg

The above is the character, Hane Darskap, masked (still under construction) the below is Hane Darskap unmasked. The mask I'm trying to make look like a Hyena's face mixed with a Tiki mask. Can only do so much with paint, getting ready to download a different art program as soon as possible and draw something better XP destroy this abomination of the TUG World! XD
    18.jpg
    2.jpg
  • I actually think it's a really cool start, very "Neanderthal" and I love the idea of a HyenaTiki mask
    very cool indeed (Primitive Culture is awesome)

I've been hearing good things about GIMP, and the videos I've seen look pretty good.
    2mrSQTP.png
  • JoeJoe Posts: 264 Seed
    GIMP is definitely the way to go! I've been trying to recommend it to everyone (like you Visigoth :P).
    Nice interpretation of Axtrivium's image Pamcakes. :mrgreen:
  • SkittlesSkittles Posts: 44 Developer
    I've used Photoshop for the longest time, but was wondering if anyone has dabbled in http://firealpaca.com/? Looks like a rather nice freeware painting program, I have only gotten a chance to put in a few minutes of playing around with it though.
  • Skittles wrote:
    I've used Photoshop for the longest time, but was wondering if anyone has dabbled in http://firealpaca.com/? Looks like a rather nice freeware painting program, I have only gotten a chance to put in a few minutes of playing around with it though.

Well that looks nearly identical to photoshop - then again I haven't used it for ages - but I'll definetly download it and give it a whizz

Oh and I do like the combination of tiki and hyena it looks very TUG and there was something not quite right about and i couldnt put my finger on it until recently, I think it may be the 'flaps' of the ears, a hyena has pointed ears like a dog :P
  • Skittles wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone has dabbled in Firealpaca? Looks like a rather nice freeware painting program
    wow, that dose look like a pretty good program (it looks like it functions a lot like PS, very cool) it looks well suited for "Digital Drawing/Painting'

thanks, great info.
    2mrSQTP.png
  • Axtrivium wrote:

Well that looks nearly identical to photoshop - then again I haven't used it for ages - but I'll definetly download it and give it a whizz

Oh and I do like the combination of tiki and hyena it looks very TUG and there was something not quite right about and i couldnt put my finger on it until recently, I think it may be the 'flaps' of the ears, a hyena has pointed ears like a dog :P

Yup gonna try that out soon. Gotta revise things soon.
    18.jpg
    2.jpg
  • PacManPacMan Posts: 16 Seed
    My artistry skills are pretty bad. I mean, I could fabricate my avatar out of steel and paint, but.. there is my attempt. I was attempting to make a sort of 'Looking at the stars' angle, and with a tattoo-like imprint of Pac Man eating the eye. Looks a bit like Beavis or Butthead.
    15.jpg
    So I did some more reading, and downloaded that program and gave my own mug a go at it. Here's what I ended up with:
    PacManTUGAvatar.png

Now, that's not what I envision of my Seed, but it was good practice. Look, I did art!
    15.jpg
  • Nice! :D

I'm having a go now... it's not my first attempt, but it's going well so far, so fingers crossed xD

The main problem I'm having is my palsy, so I have to use stroke paths (yay photoshop!) instead of actually drawing it, so it's taking longer than I hoped :/
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
  • screightcascreightca Posts: 11 Seed
    Awesome. Wish I could draw...
  • So photoshop decided it didn't like my seed, and crashed -.-

So I moved to paper (which I am much better with anyway xD ) and came up with this so far:

I will probably end up working on this some more in photoshop (despite it being annoying) and add colour etc.

Edit: the pic was waaay to big xD
  • O.k so here we go :)

It's not exactly in keeping with the Art style, but it's close enough :3

ps. sorry for so many posts xD
    screightca wrote:
    Awesome. Wish I could draw...

I cannot draw either, but I managed it. You have to try!
    15.jpg
  • VisigothVisigoth Posts: 268
    good job guys,
    2mrSQTP.png
  • This guide is pretty neat . and thank you Skittles for linking to firealpaca it's a ton better than Microsoft paint.
    tada!
  • <
    I tried... :)
    11201889043_1910fba628.jpg
  • ShadeeShadee Posts: 399 Site Admin
    Lookin' good guys! :D
    -Dee.
  • SinnonSinnon Posts: 383 Seed
    Amazing, I had several problems with my character too, and took me some hours to complete... and as you can see, I couldn't erase the pencil marks...
    Sintiacutetulo-1-1.png
    Enlist your faction in Seekers Order, sub-groups or alliances are not problem with the enlisting, since we are a not a clan, just a UN sistem of organization.