Capybison Mount

2»

Comments

• SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
    I'm not sure what blender calls them. It might be Armature. in maya and I think max it's called Rigging.

With any model in games you want to make it as low res as possible to conserve polygons while still on close inspection not give away that made of flat faces. That means small objects tend to need less while large ones tend to need more. Any details you can create with textures or normal maps should be.

Mine is 4186 tris (poly count will always measure your mesh by number of triangles regardless of if you've drawn a line between them or not.) and that's a bit much for a model in my opinion, but it is a model that needs to animate and it's got a lot of complex details so it's important that it's given more.

If there is some way to decrease your poly count with a button, Don't use it. There is no way it will do a good job. It's much better you start with a square and extrude and and add lines until it's just right.

HgHXtZ8.png
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 509 Seed
    For reference this is what I was meaning about extrapolation - skip ahead to about 14mins. Admittedly he's going for realism as oppose to a fun cartoon style =P
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/lessons/part-01-sculpting/
    I was interested by computerphile's(youtubechannel) video on triangles. Has NK talked about what they think is the ball park figures or is that something thats just left to peoples discretion? It'd weight quite heavily into a procedural world... i would have thought.
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • SkittlesSkittles REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 44 Developer
    Nice videos Rawr, and good job so far on the bird : D.

The thing when thinking about tri's is:

(A) how many of this creature/item is going to be in close proximity/viewing distance? the more it is going to show up (look at tugs trees, or grass blades, or what have you.) the less tris you want it to have. I suggest importing the seedling model and seeing how many tris he has, he is probably the most important creature/item in view, so he will get the most tris, a mount or other mobs, unless really important, will most likely have less than the seedling.

(B) can you get away with less geometry than you have. Sure, having a lot of geometry to define your sculpt more is great and all, but if it is something that a normal map can define almost as good, I suggest using a normal map instead of wasting that computing on un-needed tris.

I DID find it funny that the sculpting video you linked Rawr, talked about http://www.hippydrome.com/... because when I first saw yall talking about this earlier, I was planning to post that link, but due to the nature of distractions and things, didn't get a chance to link it until now. Definitely check out Hippydrome's different body articulation stuff, some good information about edge flow and why/what it is needed for.
    That's very interesting. I'd forgotten about that method. I don't think maya has it. By all means give it a go. It's going to be a fair amount of work either way, but if I'm right the method shown in this video might help you get some better high poly models to pull a normal map from. forewarning. Normal mapping is a painful process. do your research.

Side note: That's easily twice or more tris than needed for what we're doing. Maybe in a really robust engine with prebuilt maps and strict limitations of how many objects and actors will be in one place. However an open world sandbox or mmo tend to go lower to account for overpopulated areas.
    OK, so. here's what I've come up with. It's a very basic mesh but it's very easy for me to ramp up the normals if desired/needed. Now I suppose its a matter of searching around the the tutorials for how to texture/create UV maps... or whatever there called.
    You're headed in the right direction. Keep going :)
    HA! well not the worst start ever.
    From here there's PLENTY of refinement, rigging and more do be done. If it gets to a more presentable stage I'll post it up later in the week. Otherwise ya'll might not hear to much from me in the next wee while - heading off to uni =P
    Thank you very much for the pointers along the way Sigil and Skittles =)
  • TeknonickTeknonick REGISTERED Posts: 166 Seed
    WOW. Pretty cool! Only a little while longer until P2, right? Then you can get that thing moving! WOOT WOOOT!

And think about them stealing him and adding YOUR WORK to the game... amazing!
    The mix between the Adventurer and the Trapper yields the Tracker. Living in humble homes to help those in need. Always looking for the right coin, yet never theft is in their eyes.
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
    Teknonick wrote:
    WOW. Pretty cool! Only a little while longer until P2, right? Then you can get that thing moving! WOOT WOOOT!

"stealing" is such as harsh word. "borrow for extended period of time" ;)

No, no. I have a lack of time to develop this as at present my focus is on uni study. When I return to it, I'll be needing to figure out my way round UV mapping (making it look better) before heading onto rigging (the beginnings of making it move). If you wanted to play around with the model, I'd be happy to post that up. Send me a pm or something?
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    Teknonick wrote:

Do note the picture it was based off of is something that will be added to the game, since it belongs to the developers. I think it was from the kick-starter.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • TeknonickTeknonick REGISTERED Posts: 166 Seed
    Right, right.... But still, you got to it first and pretty much just saved them a TON of work making that model and everything. They most likely are going to see this and say "Wait... we were just about to start making this, but someone already made it." then come over and take it from your cold dead haands. lol
    The mix between the Adventurer and the Trapper yields the Tracker. Living in humble homes to help those in need. Always looking for the right coin, yet never theft is in their eyes.
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    Teknonick wrote:
    Right, right.... But still, you got to it first and pretty much just saved them a TON of work making that model and everything. They most likely are going to see this and say "Wait... we were just about to start making this, but someone already made it." then come over and take it from your cold dead haands. lol

I'm sure they're using a completely different program to make their models/rigs(clarification on this?). Though I am sure the art/look shouldn't be too far off as Sigil did an AMAZING job making it look just like the concept art. :o
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    Pamcakes wrote:
    I'm sure they're using a completely different program to make their models/rigs(clarification on this?). Though I am sure the art/look shouldn't be too far off as Sigil did an AMAZING job making it look just like the concept art. :o

They're using pretty standard files all around. Maya and 3ds Max are both owned by Autodesk and the only other program worth mentioning is Blender, a free 3rd party which essentially imitates the first 2.
  • qwertieqwertie REGISTERED Posts: 10 Seed
    That is pretty cool, I would love to see that beast in my world.
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Any more progress on this one, Sigil? Somebody over on the Steam forum was asking about this creature, when they saw the picture on the wiki site and I mentioned your work here.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    It's unlikely I'll be going back to this unfortunately. Since I got hired I've been working predominantly on environment art and it keeps me very busy.
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    That's unfortunate! But completely understandable.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • CobellCobell REGISTERED, GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 84 Developer
    Sigil said:

It's unlikely I'll be going back to this unfortunately. Since I got hired I've been working predominantly on environment art and it keeps me very busy.

Back to work, Sigil! *cracks whip*
    Cobell said:

:lol: HAHAHAHA
    Cobell said:

I'm sorry sir! please don't hit me again!

• arshan272arshan272 REGISTERED Posts: 92 Seed
    I would just like to mention that the Capybison looks like a Toxodon.
    Apparently, my opposite class is the Alcoholic.
2»