Capybison Mount

SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
edited March 2014 in Mods
So I haven't actually gotten this rigged on any of that but I wanted to throw it into the
engine as an object and see how it looked. I'll probably take a break from it until mobs
are in. Once that happens it shouldn't be hard to reverse engineer something.

lUGd61v.png?1

NfJ4gdv.png?1

efahwZj.png?1

g2aB4vB.png?1

This is based off some of the early concept art

Tug-animal10-resized-250.png

Size test. I'm not sure how big the full grown seed will be but I might have to make changes later.
fM89m8d.png?1

I'm putting the files up here: https://rapidshare.com/share/C7A69BE709 ... 1C9F302535

Btw does anyone know what causes this?

It's something to do with the fact that the normals are mirrored down the centerline. I hear this might be a maya thing but I've been unable to find any fix for it. Help.

muJSyV5.png?1

Comments

• SkittlesSkittles REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 44 Developer
    Quick comment on "mirrored Normals" Problem: Engines have to support mirrored Normals, and I believe we talked about it at one point, and even persued implementing it. I am not sure it was at the moment, but if it was, I believe the last I heard was that if you want it to mirror and have the normals act correctly, you have to offset it by 1 UV map distance on the horizontal line. ***edit***This sentence is wrong --->i]but that also means if that part is on the furthest right part of the map, then when you offset it, it will be on the furthest left of the offset map[/i... if that makes ANY sense lol (I will check back on this tomorrow when I have slept and am hopefully better at constructing useful instructions : P ).

** The next day**

Alrighty Sigil, so talked to Grim and Rik (I see Rik has posted an explanation as well), here is an image to show how it works.

Basically, any UV you mirror, just has to be offset by 1 on either side of the UV map (example: with the Gourd UV, I took the top left pentagon shape, and offset the mirrored pentagon by 1 UV map to the right... notice how it is in the top left of the UV square to the right of the UV map?)

MirroredUVs_zps71196ced.jpg
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
    That sounds complicated and a bit over my head. It's worth knowing that mirroring meshes is probably a bad idea, even if it does put a damper on my project. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy at least.
  • ChohsanChohsan REGISTERED Posts: 220
    This looks great, Sigil. Did you make the model/texture from Scratch?
    zeN5DFg.png
    Sigil: Lemme chat with Rik tomorrow and solidify my information on it, and either he or I will pop back in with info and possibly some quick images to aid the explanation on how to do it... if it can be done yet X D . But great job so far mate, this is really really awesome! It'll be equally as awesome to see this thing movin' about once we get creatures and critters in the game!
    Chohsen: Yes sir :)

Skittles: Thanks man, you're being a big help! :)
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 503 Seed
    Sigil this is awesome. Hopefully I'll be gaining the necessary skills to help out in projects like this down the line. Need to learn to walk before I can run though - old saying.
    Programmer, designer, artist.
    Good luck Rawr. There's a lot to learn but it's extremely fun and a skill worth having.
  • LeifLeif REGISTERED Posts: 361 Seed
    Looks amazing Sigil. Great job.
    otViQlH.png
  • ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 399 Site Admin
    Amazing job on this! (I want one!) :)
    -Dee.
  • ConceptGuyConceptGuy REGISTERED Posts: 6 Developer
    Hey Sigil,

Wow man.. I'm flattered that you'd want to model a concept of mine! This Guy was a concept mount I created for the kickstarter very early on...your mount looks great, you really captured the overall shape and form of the creature, and you have some sweet details in there.. I love the saddle and saddle packs, very nicely done.
    One small bit of advice is that I would spend a few more polys on the long fur edge strands and actually make those have some 3d form and shape rather than what you have now which looks a bit cutout, and give him a little bit of gradient in the fur texture from top to bottom to add some richness and character.... Other than that ... well done! Im excited to see this:) thank you for posting.
    Art Director
    Nerd Kingdom
  • RinRin REGISTERED Posts: 668 Seed
    absolutely brilliant sigil.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
    Shadee: Hopefully you can have one. I did include the mod files in online storage though :)

ConceptGuy: Hey, I wasn't sure it was you that made the concept. I loved this one. Super impressed by it man. I had to model it for myself. Something about it made me think that it'd never end up in the game quite like the original art. It was that early art that really won me over the the ideas here.

I got a little shy about polygons. just under 4500 tris now. I could probably go up in retrospect. I'll likely be taking a second pass on it soon. Thanks for the advice :)
  • DeWaldoDeWaldo REGISTERED Posts: 113
    This is awesome, well done Sigil I'm very impressed! I'm still struggling through the basics!
    11.jpg
  • RiKRiK REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 11 Developer
    Looking awesome, Sigil!

To followup on Skittles' post:

Symmetrical objects can share UV space, but must be offset 1.0 or -1.0 for normal-map information to act correctly. Offsetting +1.0 or -1.0 on the X will have the Red channel flipped, preserving Normal map functionality.

All the big 3D packages should have this function, even something like Blender. In 3dsmax, this ability is in the bottom left part of the UV Editor screen. Offset one of your shared UV islands and see how it looks in game.
    Thanks RiK. This explains things rather well. Interestingly this didn't solve the problem. I checked my process on a few of the game assets and as it turns out I did something wrong with the normal maps. I've been converting the texture into a bump map and then using the nvidia normal mapping filter. The result looks good, but now I'm thinking it's not meant to be used for 3d objects. I'm gonna look around for an easy way to fix this but I might have to dig into high poly models.
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    Dude. I am speechless.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    Quick question. What did/can you make this in?
    Rawr wrote:
    Quick question. What did/can you make this in?

I'm using Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop. However I have a sinking suspicion that maya is causing me issues because NK uses 3DS Max. If I was starting now I'd probably learn that program instead.
    can you post your normal map up here mate? or other images of what you are trying to fix and running into?
    I'm starting to think I was wrong about the texture as I've gotten mixed results since. The test I did was to remake the crude axe normal map from it's texture map. It failed. I was however able to fix it by switching the Green channel with the Red channel in Photoshop. That didn't work on my model though.

Here's pictures of the saddle parts.

http://i.imgur.com/7YG7JyS.png
    http://i.imgur.com/4Kh6SUo.png

See anything bad?
    Nope man, can't see anything wrong with the texture map.

Have you imported the OBJ of the file you exported back into Maya and taken looked at the UVs on it to see if it kept your mirrored offset?
    No problem there. :/

I dunno man. It's late. I think I'll tackle this again in the morning.
  • AndersEEAndersEE REGISTERED Posts: 54
    Awesome! Looks great :)
  • ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 399 Site Admin
    Looks even more awesome in person. Love it! :)
    -Dee.
  • cambocambo REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 152 Developer
    Looks fantastic! Great job Sigil!
    Hey sigil,
    just would like a little bit of follow up with regards to your process while making the bison. This is where im at after a couple of days with blender. I know you said 3DMax but Im not ready to jump into a 3GB trail version just yet...
    That's a good start Rawr. The next thing you'll want to learn is how to merge shapes at the vertices and decrease your poly count. I'm seeing a lot of redundant faces you won't want in a game engine. Right now it looks smoother to you because you have hard edged faces but if you figure out how to smooth normals it will help you out. These terms might be confusing to you but you should get in the habit of looking them up on google and youtube.
    interesting. I had a go at merging the shapes together before and I could get that you work(maybe somewhat tediously) but I was worried about how the model was going to animate down the road if I didn't have separate parts. What happens instead?
    like with the seeds, there is an internal bone structure (not polygons) that defines the structure and the mesh is bound to it and deformed by it.
    Armatures can do all that? I did see a soft body armature when i connected my moa together. awesome. We'll get to that later on in the process anyway.
    When creating your bison did you go far down the subdivisions/multi-res before creating a topo. Not sure if that is the right way to put it ...did you create a high resolution sculpture and then extrapolate a optimal mesh from that? Or is there another process that you prefer?