Saints Row

ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 402 Site Admin
edited August 2014 in Other Games
Any of them really. Do you play?
I haven't had much time to play games lately so I don't have the new one yet but I do love the series. Great comic relief and silliness. Just getting up to random mischief when you're not on missions is great stress relief too, I find. :)

What's the most awesome and/or weirdest thing that's ever happened to you in SR?
For me it was probably in SR2, when I accidentally shot a gas pump from my car and I did it from a place where the explosion didn't kill me but actually somehow launched me and my car all the way over an office building.

It was magical. :shock:
-Dee.

Comments

• FreemanFreeman REGISTERED Posts: 141
    I've played the series since the first one, though I haven't played the fourth one yet. I'd call myself a Saints Row fan. And to be honest I'm a little hesitant to get the next one.

I loved the second one. Immensely enjoyable game and I think it struck a nice balance between silly and serious. The first one was alright; it had some stuff that I really liked about it, one of the biggest things being the clothing customization range. Not even part 2 had some of the stuff part 1 had in it. Part 2 had just more clothes in general though, heh. I also liked the Boss' little spurts of dialogue in each chapter of part 1. A funny little touch.

The Third, on the other hand I really did not like. I feel like it was a huge step down from Saints Row 2 apart from the graphics of course. I didn't mind that part 3 embraced the silly and ran with it, but it felt artificial and forced. I was following part 3 since it was first announced and it was missing promised content and it was carting around half-baked content. There were less clothing choices, less outfit customization due to the way they did clothing in general, less piercing choices, less tattoo choices, less stores, less missions, a significantly smaller map, a weaker soundtrack, less character customization, and less things to buy. Seriously in part 2 you could customize everything from your walk to your fighting style. I had like 4 outfits set for each gang and changed up my fighting style depending on the gang I was fighting.

There's also a few other things that just personally bugged me. The pedestrians seemed less active, just kinda there, whereas in part 2 there were things like people sitting around on their laptops and streakers you could beat up, heh. I found the story less interesting, even though it had a strong start. Mission variety was weak. Aside from a couple standout moments like the Tron boss fight it was just basic gun down everyone in the vicinity missions even though I think they said that wasn't gonna be the case when first talking about the game. Pretty much the moment you took out the head of the first gang the game became very by the numbers in mission structure. You weren't even allowed to replay missions which was aggravating because I didn't exactly feel like doing all the boring missions over again. The new supporting cast was also very weak or just uninteresting aside from Kinzie. They didn't even do much and Angel was especially useless. He was a friggin' luchador, he had the potential to be the most awesome thing ever. The villains were similarly weak sauce and they all went down without much of a fight, especially Killbane, ugh. Let's not even get into them writing off Johnny Gat. I did love the return of unappreciated Pierce though. There's probably some other stuff about part 3 that bugs me but I'll leave it at that.

If anyone could sell me on getting Saints Row 4 I'd appreciate it mightily.

Anyways I've had a couple awesome moments in all the games, yes even the third one heh.
    - Though this counts as hilarious, in Saints Row: The Third my friend and I were playing coop and stopped at the clothing store. We both opened up the store menu and were like "Wait till you see my outfit." When we looked at each other's outfits we had both bought the giant bunny heads and wore just that and nothing else. We both started laughing as we attacked each other with "baseball bats".
    - In Saints Row 2 Veteran Child had kidnapped Shaundi and was driving away in a limo. Normally while I drove I would switch to either rap or classical music cuz that's how I rolled.=, but in this instance i just didn't have time to switch the radio station so it was stuck on the rock station. I was upset cuz I wasn't into rock but just rolled with it. It was raining in the game, my characters shirt was off because I was showing off his new back tattoo, I was riding on my custom paint job motorcycle with a katana in my side (because you could do that in part 2) and Paramore's Misery Business was playing on the radio. And I'll be derned if it wasn't the most dramatic videogame car chase sequence I've ever engaged in. From that moment on I decided to get into rock music, especially Paramore haha!
    - Another time in Saints Row 2 I decided to take on The Ronin gang on a burning boat using just a katana, which made me feel straight thug.
    - I also encountered the the greatest glitch in Saints Row 2. I walked off the curb on a sidewalk and fell to the ground, courtesy of Havok I suppose.
  • JoeJoe REGISTERED Posts: 264 Seed
    Nice essay there Freeman. :P

I can say that I really enjoyed Saints Row II, but The Third not so much. I appreciate that they went with the whole crazy 'hold-down-shift-and-do-crazy-stuff' technique, but the fact that you swing around and jump into the seats of cars/trucks/etc kind of bugged me because of how unrealistic it looked.

That said, I didn't like the look of SR4 since the ads first came out; perhaps I am just into realism more than anything.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I thoroughly enjoyed SR2, it was tons of fun

SR3 was not as much fun but I saw it through because I wanted to

I highly doubt I am going to touch SR4, and if I do I'd only ever do it because I got it super cheap
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    Wow, talk about TL;DR :P
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    Never played any Saints Row games, dont think its really my style. Never liked GTA either and it looks like a wacky version of that tbh.
    Heh, it's hard to talk about 3 radically different games in a few sentences. Be glad I haven't played the fourth one.
  • VisigothVisigoth REGISTERED Posts: 268 Seed
    Fun series, "Great humor" the farther they get away from the 'THUG' stuff the more I enjoy it :D
    SR4 is fun, the whole "Matrix" thing is funny/Fun!
    2mrSQTP.png
    tqJH8d0.png L8gIJPq.png HS9Ak7Z.png bJiq4Rv.png
    Visigoth wrote:
    Fun series, "Great humor" the farther they get away from the 'THUG' stuff the more I enjoy it :D
    SR4 is fun, the whole "Matrix" thing is funny/Fun!
    Takes all types hey. :)
    maybe I should have chosen my words differently. I meant the more non "Thug/ Rap/ w/e you call that style/ subculture" Options that they add the more I enjoy it
    YqGhV0A.jpg
    lol, they need more/better piercing and tattoo options! and why isn't Punk, Goth, SteamPunk or metalhead a gang customization option >.<
    Give me my Avatar!:
    M5FcVAr.png
    2mrSQTP.png
    I tried Visigoth. Gol'dernit I tried! But like I stated in that wall of text. The character creator is oddly limited.

7e24aafa-58dc-4925-89db-5c066d6ff7e3_zps4a390339.jpg~original
  • ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 402 Site Admin
    Come ooon, you know you want to try the 4th one as well Freeman! ;)

You're right though, the series has gone through quite a few wild changes. There were definitely some down sides to The Third but to be perfectly honest, I've never finished the entire story line in any of them yet. :oops: I want to, but I just keep getting distracted by random mischief and don't get much of the actual mission game play done. That makes it hard for me to comment on that part of the game but I certainly do still feel like I've been getting my money's worth if I can spend hours in there getting up to no good and laughing until I cry. :D
    -Dee.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I do enjoy the way missions are done differently in The Third, I get levels instead of having to increase a gauge, which always seriously annoyed me. That and being able to just jump straight into a car!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    not bad Freeman,
    Shadee wrote:
    I've never finished the entire story line in any of them yet. :oops: I want to, but I just keep getting distracted by random mischief
    D: you're missing out "Gangstas in SPACE!" lol some funny sh*t
    2mrSQTP.png
    I just started the SR3 campaign again. Fun stuffs :mrgreen:
  • ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 402 Site Admin
    Visigoth wrote:
    D: you're missing out "Gangstas in SPACE!" lol some funny sh*t

That is one of the lines I did follow hahah, I agree, that one's awesome! :D
    -Dee.
    Shadee wrote:
    Come ooon, you know you want to try the 4th one as well Freeman! ;)
    I definitely want to at least close out the story on the series, as nutso as it is, heh. If anything I could treat it as a more outlandish sequel to Crackdown since Crackdown 2 was such a letdown. But I can't see myself paying full price for it.

I reckon I'll wait for a steam sale or somethin'.
  • FunkynFunkyn REGISTERED Posts: 1
    I've been playing Saints Row 4 with a friend, and it has been one of the most fun and hilarious games I've ever played. The superpowers are great :)
    So I finally picked up Saints Row 4 on sale. By golly that game has made me a believer again! Great job Volition.

Everything in the game just feels better than 3. They got rid of the terrible characters from part 3 and punched me in the nostalgia too many times to count. And I don't even like nostalgia haha!

The powers are a blast and it really does feel like a more fluid Crackdown. The guns are fun, like something outta Ratchet and Clank, and the skins you can put on some of the guns are great. The story was way better than part 3 and the Boss/President is so great; especially as Nolan North, hilarious. It's funny he went from being a mute to basically having 7 distinct personalities (more if you count the voices that were cut from the other games). The game had a rather perfect blend of cool and funny.

Probably my biggest gripe with the game is that the out of the simulation interactions with your crew is so bare-bones it almost feels unnecessary. Still opened up some amusing comments from them. Also, the driving seems to have gotten worse but it doesn't really matter when you can hurl yourself across the map at like 200 mph. Minor stuff really.

And they brought back Johnny. What more could I ask for?

Here's a clear shot of the Boss I made for my playthrough.
    Gah, you've got me wanting to get and play it now! Good to hear that it didn't disappoint though.
    And yeah, it just isn't Saints Row without Gat. Glad he's back from being Lost (HURR(ley)) Punception.
    -Dee.
    I would highly recommend it actually. It does reference the past games a lot but it has quite a few exposition moments so you won't be totally lost at least storyline-wise.
  • aussiefirefighteraussiefirefighter REGISTERED Posts: 60
    i have played number 3 and its the best game ever :D
    i have sunk about 66 hours into the game

i was mega tatted and yeah major fun :D
    FireFighter, SES Volunteer, Motorbikes, Gamer :D

18.jpg
    sig.jpg
    I just went back to 2. I decided I want to play through the entire story lines in both that one and 3 before I play 4.
    So no more getting distracted by random carnage!! I hope...
    -Dee.
    Good move Shadee. It's definitely easy to get distracted in part 2 since you gotta manually get everywhere and there's always a chance of seeing a streaker or something.

But I have faith in you! You can make it to the end!
    Finished them all, including IV. And now I'm sad, because they were awesome. :)

Which did you enjoy the most? I think 2 is still my fav. but IV was a close second.
    -Dee.
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    Haven't played 4, 2 I think was better than 3 mainly because it was more serious, but I also enjoyed 3 as well. All in all a good series, and very addictive
    5.jpg
    Yeah I liked the story elements in 2 a lot.

I think there might have been a serious bug in 4 though. Went our for an errand after playing and found this when I got back to my car. Srsly fate?

I have to say... it was tempting. :?
    -Dee.
    Haha nice!

Geez man you blew through those games super fast dude. Good job! I was right to believe in you.

Like I said in that giant wall of text earlier in the thread, Saints Row 2 was my favorite of the series. But part 4 is definitely a close second as well.

Now I gotta try out the two DLC for part 4.
    The Christmas one is fun but definitely short. I enjoyed it though. + ROBO REINDEER VEHICLE, RAWR! :D
    -Dee.
  • SinnonSinnon REGISTERED Posts: 383 Seed
    Yeah, I got SR4 and I could totally recommend it.
    Sintiacutetulo-1-1.png
    Enlist your faction in Seekers Order, sub-groups or alliances are not problem with the enlisting, since we are a not a clan, just a UN sistem of organization.
    Okay, Enter The Dominatrix...there are no words...

And the Christmas one was hilarious. Merry Christmas from The Saints!