HOWTO: Custom Survival Maps

ArchVArchV REGISTERED Posts: 46 Developer
edited August 2014 in User Created Maps
Hey guys, just wanted to make a quick post to let you know how to do custom maps for survival mode; with a few tips and tricks thrown in :)

In short, a custom survival mode map is created using creative mode.

1) Start map in Creative Mode

2) Hunt around until you find a good starting spot to be the "center"

3) Place down the "World Center" object

4) Go back to the menu and reload the map
Note: This step due to a bug the world center isn't set correctly until the map is reloaded. We will fix this.

5) Now that the world center is set; do your building and creation as you wish

6) Set at least one Spawn Point object. Spawning will cycle between points so first person to join will appear at one point, and the next person to join will appear at the next point and so on; there is no specific order, however.

Tip: As you build and move around the F2 display will show "Survival Out of Range" if you move out of range of your world center. Remember Survival mode maps are limited in size, but creative mode is not! You can use F2 to make sure you're not building something out of range that will just get throw out in survival.

7) Once you are done with the map; you will have to run a dedicated server to player survival on it.
Note: This is also a bug, we will support hosting of this kind of map without a dedicated server in a future patch.

8) Edit the dedicated_server.txt file in your Config folder and just set the "serverSave" variable to the name of your map in quotes. Ex: serverSave = "My Awesome Map"

9) Make sure gameMode = 1 is also set in the config file.

10) Run the dedicated server!

Tip: If you want to run the dedicated server and play on it with the same computer, you can do Multiplayer and connect to yourself by connecting to "localhost" or "127.0.0.1"

Enoy!

Eric "ArchV" Fowler
Eric "ArchV" Fowler

Comments

• PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    *claps* very cool :D
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • whitenoizewhitenoize REGISTERED Posts: 27
    I'll set one up tonight or tomorrow depending on when I get a chance!
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    And as soon as the server shows up, SURVIVAL GAMES
    5.jpg
  • enderender REGISTERED Posts: 6
    This helped a lot, thanks.
    Welcome to the forums, ender
    5.jpg
  • PsiQssPsiQss REGISTERED Posts: 181
    Welcome ender!

Don't try to turn him to the Dark Side, Re Evo! I know what you're plotting. It always starts with innocent "welcome" and then all of sudden, you're controlling their minds!

By the way, awesome avatar, ender :)
    “You might want to think twice before you try to use a man's conscience against him. It may turn out he doesn't have one.”
    Welcome to the forums, ender

Thank you!
    PsiQss wrote:
    Welcome ender!

Don't try to turn him to the Dark Side, Re Evo! I know what you're plotting. It always starts with innocent "welcome" and then all of sudden, you're controlling their minds!

By the way, awesome avatar, ender :)

I don't like getting mind controlled D:
    And thank you, Pamcakes did it for me!
    PsiQss wrote:
    The people under me haven't been mind controlled, Psi. Bribed, coerced, and threatened, yes, but no mind control.
    5.jpg
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    ArchV, thanks so much for this! I've been looking for ways to make my gathering/crafting testing easier. It's great being able to pre-place resources in creative mode, then use them to explore gathering/crafting.
    ArchV wrote:
    9) Make sure gameMode = 1 is also set in the config file.
    For version 0.6.3, use "gameMode = 3" instead.
  • ArchVArchV REGISTERED Posts: 46 Developer
    This doesn't appear to work anymore. I'm not surprised actually... we now save off the game mode the world was created with in the save file. When it reloads, it sets the game mode to what's in the save. We'll be investigating whether we can still switch game modes on a specific maps with all the new changes going in. There are a bunch of factors that are making this more complicated... for example, you probably don't want saplings to grow into trees in Creative mode. You just want them to stay saplings, but right now they WOULD grow in Creative mode. Creative mode is, of course, intended to be placing items and they stay there :)

We are in the process of separating all the mode-specific logic that prevents easy mode switching on a world.
    Eric "ArchV" Fowler
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    ArchV wrote:
    This doesn't appear to work anymore.

I see what you mean -- any oddities or strange behavior I find this way shouldn't be posted as a bug. (And I certainly shouldn't spend time looking for them.)

On the other hand, the way it works now is still useful to me. It's a temporary solution for something I've been wanting to do:
    1) create a world prepopulated with a lot of resources in a small area
    2) test out tools, craft, combine things
    3) start over to try different things without having to rebuild my tools from scratch, and without having to run all over the world looking for that elusive cactus to harvest and use in a test

If anybody can think of another way to accomplish this that I've missed, I'll be all over it! Otherwise, I'll wait.
  • ProBeingNoobProBeingNoob REGISTERED Posts: 189 Seed
    That is useful.
    Thank you!
    2.jpg
    BMOhn.gif9gF3P.gif
    Mind clicking those eggs?