Got beta key; want advice

ElfElf REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
edited November 2014 in Alpha Forum
I was around during the kickstarter; bought beta access; dropped out of the forums for a long while. I just got my beta key, and I'd like to know if anyone has advice before I install and get started. Are there decision to make when first getting set up that will help or hinder me later? Rules about names? What can change later, and what's permanent after the start?

Comments

• PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    ELF!!! YOU'RE BACK! PLease don't ever leave us again, I missed you. Q_Q
    Everything is very simple and easy when you install it. Choose a login name you would like to use forever. You can't see names or anything in game, except when you talk in the chat but you can choose any name to be used in there (for now I assume they will tweak that later).
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • LeifLeif REGISTERED Posts: 361 Seed
    Elf wrote:
    I just got my beta key, and I'd like to know if anyone has advice before I install and get started. Are there decision to make when first getting set up that will help or hinder me later? Rules about names? What can change later, and what's permanent after the start?

Nothing is permanent apart from your account name as Pam says, so go ahead and get stuck in!

And welcome back :)
    otViQlH.png
  • ChohsanChohsan REGISTERED Posts: 220
    Hey, Elf! Welcome back you little genius, you.

Thanks, Pam, that's good to know. If/when I get a computer that I think can run the Alpha I'll have to get in and reserve a name I can be content with.
    zeN5DFg.png
  • ElfElf REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    I decided to do useful things while I was waiting; I spent last year getting a paralegal degree.

Good to know all I have to decide in advance is a name. How long can they be? Do they allow spaces or special characters?
  • AzzyAzzy REGISTERED Posts: 182
    welcome back Elf :)
    Back again. Now have computer that can run TUG. Ready to install things. Um, help?

Should I install on Steam or not? Does it matter? (Can I install the steam game without paying for it separately?)
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    I got the key through Kickstarter and you would have received an email titled: "Your TUG Early Access Steam Key is Here!" - I got mine on Wed, Apr 2, 2014 if that helps you search through your emails for it.

In Steam's menu go to [Games] > [Activate a Product on Steam] and follow the prompts using the key you got in the email.

I'd say go with the Steam copy. I have a local install of TUG and a Steam version of TUG. I play InDev (more recent updates, new terrain etc.) via the Steam version, but you can turn this off and on as needed.
    I got that one too; I'll use it.

I tried installing the one I got in January--it installed, gives a login prompt but no "create account" option; no idea how to make it work.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I also recommend the Steam version, for the same reason as Reedoo, being able to switch between the public version and the version the Dev's play with.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    Downloading steam version; 4gb. It'll take a while.
    I'm not sure how interested I am in the dev version, but it'll be nice to have the option.
    Got set up. It'll be a while before I can do anything coherent; I've never played anything like this. Had to use ctrl-alt-delete to figure out how to switch to a different window while it was playing.

I don't suppose there's a tutorial for people who've never played Minecraft or any MMORPG like WoW? I've got the list of keyboard commands but it's a lot to absorb.
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    I used the Wiki to help me navigate:
    https://tugwiki.com/wiki/Controls

I still can't actually get the controls in Creative mode working. I just rage quit after a few minutes. But I'm enjoying Survival.

There are also some threads on the boards about starting out and crafting:
    viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1128
    viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1674 <- Links to YouTube videos.

As well as a Steam article:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =245316996
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    the game is mostly Minecraft at the moment, there's no MMO mechanics yet.

Indev has the new terrain generation and placing schemes as well as a few improvement tweaks.

Crafting is intuitive in that you have to think along the lines of real life: "what would I need to tie this rock to this stick" the answer is vines.

pile a vine on the ground with a stick and most kinds of holdable rocks and you'll get a tool.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png