Blacksmithing?

slamma009slamma009 REGISTERED Posts: 14
edited January 2014 in Design
I'm assuming there is plans to implement swords of some kind, and knowing what I know about Nerd Kingdom I assume this will include an anvil and a forge. I also assume that the more you work with swords, the better they will be. However, how will you go about the creation process of swords (or any other blacksmithing item) and how do you plan on showing the difference between good and bad swords.

Comments

• Nuclear RussianNuclear Russian REGISTERED Posts: 424 Seed
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=178&p=2342&hilit=jacksmith#p2342

This thread goes over some of the things you mention. Also, since TUG isn't a numbers based game, the quality of anything you craft will be given away by visual ques, such as deformities, or cracks in the hilt, etc.
    Knowledge is power, Guard it well - Blood Ravens battle cry

"Re-evolution: Sound like a blast"
    "Me: It will be"
    13.jpg
  • slamma009slamma009 REGISTERED Posts: 14
    http://forum.nerdkingdom.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=178&p=2342&hilit=jacksmith#p2342

This thread goes over some of the things you mention. Also, since TUG isn't a numbers based game, the quality of anything you craft will be given away by visual ques, such as deformities, or cracks in the hilt, etc.

I know it's not a numbers based game, but it was mentioned that if you do something more, you obviously get better at it. I never thought of visual ques like that. Also thanks for the link! I'll check it out now.
    The way a seed crafts things will be dependent on how well the human can execute the functions of crafting. That is, if your seed is fast/strong enough ingame, the skills that are learned are learned by the human, not by the electronic seed.

13.jpg
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    I hope you also have to use moulds aswell. So you make a clay mould for the blade, you melt down some metal in your forge and then you pour it into your mould. You break of the mould and you do some work on your blade (sharpening the edges with a file and other tools). Then you have to work on making the handle, so you use strips of leather. You would have a tanning rack (you would probably also have smoked the leather) and you would cut strips from it. Then that would be used to attach the handle and the blade. You could also end up using some kind of natural paste like charcoal and tree sap.
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    would the mold be pre made because i think it would be cool to design weapons that way.
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    The mold would then be made by the smith themselves, probably by imprinting a stencil of the weapon/tool into the clay, and letting the clay set.

13.jpg
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    They have stated they want the crafting to be done realistically but fun at the same time, but also combining crafting to be functional as well. As in, not take forever. They are still trying to find a nice balance between the two. There's no word yet on how blacksmithing is going to be performed with the anvil, but it will most likely use the same formula as the crafting table for now. Starting a whole new separate crafting code right now might be asking too much.

As far as stats, NK has said we will have none of them(I believe it's said in their fighting update on the KS). Meaning we can't pick up an item and see that it has +5 agility and +1 Dex. Instead, we will have to use it and judge it for ourselves what it could be changing, if anything at all. It may look badass, but could be total poopbutt.
    "Also, since TUG isn't a numbers based game, the quality of anything you craft will be given away by visual ques, such as deformities, or cracks in the hilt, etc." - Nuclear Russian
    **Although some of that is true, I am not sure if there will be any visual give away. NK (to my knowledge) said nothing about that.

Every game depends on how well the player is. The but seed evolves based on what it does the most. If you draw every day, you become a better artist, yeah? Apply that to TUG. The more you run, the faster you get. That will effect your body, possibly making you slimmer. Every little thing effects something else. So if you forge on a daily basis, your seed will get stronger in that craft naturally. So doing something that seemed difficult before, is easier now. Not necessarily because the player is better (but still yes 'cause of practice) but also because the seed grew and better as well.

Alright /rant <3
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    Pamcakes wrote:
    It may look badass, but could be total poopbutt.
    Hmm, what if the reverse is true, though? We need to find the most 'poopbutt-y' looking weapon in the game and make it totally OP
    5.jpg
    i think i read somewhere i kickstarter it said if you walk up to a crafting table that had a sculpting tool for wood carvings it pops in your hand kinda so i wonder if i went up to a black smith and had a hammer in my hand whether i have to really hit the metal or press a button and it pops up its going to be interesting when the systems for crafting are complete .
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    Pamcakes wrote:
    It may look badass, but could be total poopbutt.
    Hmm, what if the reverse is true, though? We need to find the most 'poopbutt-y' looking weapon in the game and make it totally OP
    YES.
    "What do you mean this sword is made out of poop?"
    "No you don't understand, when you swing it, it throws ice crystals in it's path and turns anyone it hits into snowmen."
    "That...Damn this game. Yes."
  • RinRin REGISTERED Posts: 668 Seed
    "oh look, some pauper traveller. BOY'S, WE GOT OURSELVES AN EASY ONE!"
    *ladadee dee daa... what's up guys?*
    "hand over your stuff or we'll kill you, and then take your stuff, then kill you again when you respawn"
    *huh. that sounds serious. so how do you guys plan to do that?*
    "wha- BY KILLING YOU OF COURSE YOU IMBECILE!"
    *heheh... ok then, bye* *slams walking stick into the ground, causing localized earth spikes to rise from the ground at every nearby living things location*
    *ladadee.......*
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
    LOL! That is why they say to not judge a book by it's cover. ;)
    oh because it will shoot magic spikes at you . :P
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    Pamcakes wrote:
    They have stated they want the crafting to be done realistically but fun at the same time, but also combining crafting to be functional as well. As in, not take forever. They are still trying to find a nice balance between the two. There's no word yet on how blacksmithing is going to be performed with the anvil, but it will most likely use the same formula as the crafting table for now. Starting a whole new separate crafting code right now might be asking too much.

As far as stats, NK has said we will have none of them(I believe it's said in their fighting update on the KS). Meaning we can't pick up an item and see that it has +5 agility and +1 Dex. Instead, we will have to use it and judge it for ourselves what it could be changing, if anything at all. It may look badass, but could be total poopbutt.
    "Also, since TUG isn't a numbers based game, the quality of anything you craft will be given away by visual ques, such as deformities, or cracks in the hilt, etc." - Nuclear Russian
    **Although some of that is true, I am not sure if there will be any visual give away. NK (to my knowledge) said nothing about that.

Every game depends on how well the player is. The but seed evolves based on what it does the most. If you draw every day, you become a better artist, yeah? Apply that to TUG. The more you run, the faster you get. That will effect your body, possibly making you slimmer. Every little thing effects something else. So if you forge on a daily basis, your seed will get stronger in that craft naturally. So doing something that seemed difficult before, is easier now. Not necessarily because the player is better (but still yes 'cause of practice) but also because the seed grew and better as well.

Alright /rant <3

I understand that nothing will be implemented for a while, since as you've stated it will be a major side track. However I really hope that Youngy is right about tanning racks and molds. I would really love to focus on blacksmithing in this game as long as it's not just a side thing to do. I would love to be the go-to guy on the server because I've been blacksmithing since I was a young seed, and no one could make a better blade then me!
    slamma009 wrote:
    I would love to be the go-to guy on the server because I've been blacksmithing since I was a young seed, and no one could make a better blade then me!

I hereby declare you my rival!
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    I hereby declare you my test subjects!
    Pamcakes wrote:
    I hereby declare you my rival!

I welcome the competition!
    Wingidon wrote:
    I hereby declare you my test subjects!

Only if you have the coin for it!
    нет, you will be test subject for free! c:<
    А чё так сразу беcплатные подопытные?

Anyway, Wingidon, are you planning on coercing the better smith to your cause?

13.jpg
    (Google translate, you failed me on that last one)

Maybe... i'm actually just gonna use them as test subjects for that one spell I got to make with my magical buddies of the council, just like if they where somebody else.
    I'm planning on buying tons of basic quality items (not too expensive for me) from smiths to test enchantments on them. Then buy stuff from the best when I got a choice made.
    Hey Slamma if you need a place to ever setup a Forge Xandertopa would be glad to have you. :D
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis