List your Suggestions to make the Forums better!

VisigothVisigoth REGISTERED Posts: 268
edited September 2014 in Suggestions & Feedback
I just thought (Like others suggested) That a list of suggestions for changes/tweaks to the Forums was a good idea.

eBP1edA.png

[Wingidon] made a good suggestion:
When you post something, you are sent to a page that tells you the post has been posted. I Suggest Skipping this process, and instead just returning to the thread.

[Visigoth] One thing I've been having a little trouble with are the 'sub forums' something about the layout just makes it hard to tell which is the 'main' and which is the 'sub'
(Of course this is something you can get used to, but for newcomers it might take time...which in the mean time will clutter the wrong sections.)

[strike]I also hope the "Log-in" is updated, to keep us logged-in. I use multiple windows and jump to other sites and so on, So I'm Constantly Having To Log Back In (and I bet I'm not alone)[/strike] <3 awesome!

It would also be nice if active links were a default color that stood out a little better.

[Pamcakes] Being able to comment on your friends profiles?

[Validifyed] [strike]Can we have the option to quick reply again? Type the replies in a quick reply box under the forum page like before, and simply have the option to enter the full post editor.[/strike] Awesome!
Joe wrote:
Another issue I came across was the fact that users can upload images of very wide proportions. My two suggestions would be to either force users to only upload images of a certain size, or to resize them server-side (obviously keeping the ratio correct).
Joe wrote:
A "quote multiple" button, so you can, obviously, quote multiple people at the same time. Often I'll be reading a thread and want to quote multiple people, but can't be stuffed opening up multiple instances of the thread so I can quote more than one person accurately.

eBP1edA.png
[Pamcakes, Visigoth...and others]
BBCode commands like:
value

(list]value[/list)
(list]
[*]list item 1
[*]list item 2[/list)
^ Bulleted Lists kind of work, but not 100%, they're missing the Bullet.

[highlight]value[/highlight]
[noparse]value[/noparse]
[mention]value[/mention]
value[/rule]

that's all I could think of 'for now' ;]
2mrSQTP.png
tqJH8d0.png L8gIJPq.png HS9Ak7Z.png bJiq4Rv.png

Comments

• Auti0Auti0 REGISTERED Posts: 277
    If there are any PHPBB3 BBCode features that you have seen used in different forums and want to see them here, feel free to let me know in this thread. I will add them to a list of features to add.
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    How about some of these? Just for text stuffs.

{TEXT}

{TEXT}

{TEXT}
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • VisigothVisigoth REGISTERED Posts: 268
    Auti0 wrote:

That's awesome Auti0!

I noticed 'a lot' of BBCode commands don't work. things like [left, right, center, indent...etc]
    The BBCode List I use for Reference.

But I've also noticed the updates "So, Awesome! please keep up the good work!"
    2mrSQTP.png
  • LeifLeif REGISTERED Posts: 361 Seed
    Thanks for putting the thread together Visigoth.

I posted this elsewhere already, but we are missing a table function. In BBcode parlance that would be i guess. I would love a HTML editor to boot, but that's obviously a bigger demand.

Can the thread creator change the thread title currently? Can't seem to figure out how, so that would be another.

Also, being able to post images directly into the post like we could on the other forum would be great. Right now we either need to use the attachment method, which places the image in a white box, or link to an externally hosted image. I suppose I could get used to using an image host each time, but I'm lazy :P
    otViQlH.png
    Np, happy to :]
    Leif wrote:
    Can the thread creator change the thread title currently? Can't seem to figure out how?
    You can, just change the "Post Subject"
    Leif wrote:
    I suppose I could get used to using an image host each time, but I'm lazy :P
    I like Imgur
    2mrSQTP.png
    Visigoth wrote:
    You can, just change the "Post Subject"

So you can. Thanks! I thought that only changed the subject line of the post, not the thread.
    otViQlH.png
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    One thing we need is to simplyfy the forums, they blast me with an insane amount of text, too much for my brain :c
    Being able to comment on your friends profiles?
  • AzzyAzzy REGISTERED Posts: 182
    i think the colour scheme of the new forums is rather urmmm.... gross.

the old one was much easier to read with lighter colours behind the text panes
    Azzy wrote:
    i think the colour scheme of the new forums is rather urmmm.... gross.

the old one was much easier to read with lighter colours behind the text panes

They are coming with a skin thing for the forums, so you can have that problem fix'd! c:
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    How about a splash of the 'Tug Font' around the new forums, make it feel more like home :D
    Also, I kinda preferred the light blue scheme of colours, might just be me though :D

And now for a more sensible suggestion:
    Can we have the option to quick reply again? Type the replies in a quick reply box under the forum page like before, and simply have the option to enter this full post editor.
    Validifyed wrote:
    Also, I kinda preferred the light blue scheme of colours, might just be me though :D

Definitely not just you. I'd also prefer a lighter / more neutral color scheme.
    otViQlH.png
  • ValidifyedValidifyed REGISTERED Posts: 612 Seed
    Well, if Wingidon is right, we won't have to wait too long for the old colour scheme to be back :D
    Yeah, they said that they would eventually offer alternative board styles for users to choose between.
    otViQlH.png
    Validifyed wrote:
    Well, if Wingidon is right, we won't have to wait too long for the old colour scheme to be back :D
    that makes my eyes bleed...lol

Options are always good. I actually love most of the colours, I just wish the side borders were TUG art or something

:Edited main post with updates,
    2mrSQTP.png
    Maybe some way to get rid of those bots? <_<
    Pamcakes wrote:
    That thing to test if user is a human when he is registering? Maybe it already is here, but just needs to be fix'd
  • TyrxTyrx REGISTERED Posts: 9 Podling
    I'm thinking that we're going to need some sort of ruleset regarding acceptable practices for signatures, as I'm already noticing some rather obnoxious ones at the moment in terms of height. It isn't much of an issue now, but it will be in the future when the total text/image markup of the page consists mostly of signatures rather than information relating to the actual topic. Signature rules tend to vary from community to community, but here's an example of one that I think should be adopted on these forums.
      Your signature should be composed of the default font size or smaller and should be 10 lines maximum (including lines of spaces, which you use to judge what an acceptable length for combined images is) when viewed at 1200 x 1080, and with the "User post bit set left". That means the option to display information on the left of the signature. We strongly encourage much shorter signatures. Your signature should conform to the normal Forum Rules regarding content. Your signature should not include ASCII made images. Your signature should not include vBB code quotes. Colours, links (in accordance with Forum Rules) and other vBB codes may be used. Note, however that bad nesting of vBB tags may cause problems and these signatures may be removed without notice. Any signature seen as being overly long or of an offensive nature etc is liable to be removed without notice. Inflammatory Political Statements or Quotes (as Perceived by the Staff) are not permitted in signatures and will be removed. Forum staff have the final say over what is deemed appropriate.
    Interested in sharing your knowledge of TUG? Share your wisdom and help young seedlings understand the world of TUG by contributing to the TUG Wiki!

We are going to be rolling out a solution for this soon.
    Tyrx wrote:
    Rules can be helpful, of course I'm a very visual person... it seems to a greater degree then your opinion would have me/us be "I'm pretty sure I would have a heck of a time conforming to those rules" :[
    2mrSQTP.png
  • JoeJoe REGISTERED Posts: 264 Seed
    The ability (though it may just be myself), to stay logged in to the forums for a longer period, like a day or more. I find it slightly irritating to have to log in multiple times a day after a while of inactivity.
    The forums are much nicer though, and I'll be sticking to the colour scheme, as it is similar to the colours of the IDE I use. I definitely prefer darker backgrounds.
    Ohh ohh oh, how about more friend-related stuff? Confirm friend requests on both ends, comment on each other's profile?
    Joe wrote:
    I definitely prefer darker backgrounds.
    Agreed, I find it easier on my eyes...
    Pamcakes wrote:
    comment on each other's profile?
    lol, that's already listed ;p
    2mrSQTP.png
    Joe wrote:
    The ability (though it may just be myself), to stay logged in to the forums for a longer period, like a day or more. I find it slightly irritating to have to log in multiple times a day after a while of inactivity.
    The forums are much nicer though, and I'll be sticking to the colour scheme, as it is similar to the colours of the IDE I use. I definitely prefer darker backgrounds.

We are definitely working on this issue right now. It is not working as intended...
    Auti0 wrote:
    Joe wrote:

We are definitely working on this issue right now. It is not working as intended...
    Thanks for the awesomeness! You guys are doing an amazing job with everything. :D
    Yeah, it's cool. and I'm a little surprised with the speed of updates your putting out Auti0, that's awesome THANKS!
    2mrSQTP.png
    Another issue I came across was the fact that users can upload images of very wide proportions. My two suggestions would be to either force users to only upload images of a certain size, or to resize them server-side (obviously keeping the ratio correct).
  • morduunmorduun REGISTERED Posts: 38 Developer
    Auti0 wrote:
    Joe wrote:

Have worked on it. As in, should be working now. Pretty sure. I'm crossing my fingers, but I feel pretty confident. Like, 96% confidence, or so. Definitely around 95%. Maybe 90%, I guess. But no less than 80%. Or so. Ish-ish. But yeah. Pretty sure it's fixed. Basically.
    so cool, it seems to be working as intended :D
    2mrSQTP.png
    Yep, working for me as well. :)