TUG runes

Comments

• mkjnsmkjns REGISTERED Posts: 29
    spacedot wrote:
    before we get into translating words lets get a consensus on what each rune is. Some of these look backwards and the squared lines make these a bit harder to see.

Ya sorry I'm getting ahead of myself hahaha got excited
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    OH it's not a Madei or a Badei.

it's a Yadei!

I don't know about that B/R. if you judge by shape I'd same it's close ish but it's missing some parts. they merged. R seems a closer match. plus if you judge by frequency of letter it's much more likely it be Rs than Bs.

http://www.sttmedia.com/characterfrequency-latin
    Sigil wrote:

it's a Yadei!

I don't know about that B/R. if you judge by shape I'd same it's close ish but it's missing some parts. they merged. R seems a closer match. plus if you judge by frequency of letter it's much more likely it be Rs than Bs.

The "Y" there does fit better nice find
    Yadei is also similar to a hindi word meaning memories. Not the best source but it was the first: http://www.hindilyrics.net/translation- ... in-(Female).html
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    Sigil wrote:

it's a Yadei!

i too think the first letter is y but as to a and d i am not 100%. Its a pretty clear backwards a but its backwards when others aren't . d is most likely right but its missing its small line at the top left.

the backwards runes are weird the 4th word has one m forwards at the end but starts with a m backwards
    ino wrote:
    Dog, is it a Dog? How about a Dog? A Dog? Could be a Dog? Dog? ok... Dog...

just before i get caught up i cant help but think of family guy clip when peter cant understand Brian.
    quote:
    Brian: Hey, do you hear that?
    Peter: What?
    Brian: Sounds like someone's screaming.
    Peter: What? What is it boy? What are you trying to say?
    Brian: It sounds like Loretta is screaming.
    Peter: Trouble at the old mill?
    Brian: What are you insane?
    Peter: Somebody fall through the ice?
    Brian: It's summer.
    Peter: Bobcat?
    Brian: RURURURURURU!!!
    Peter: Loretta's in trouble?! Come on boy!

Don't know why must be a dog thing.
    Which backwards runes? I'm pretty sure that has to be an N. it takes a little bit to imagine but if they merged and bent straight it could be. that or an S. they both have to bend a lot though...

Either way let's not get into backwards characters. we'll go mad.

BTW. does anyone else think the main runes we're using (not this stone) look like constellations?
    Sigil wrote:
    Which backwards runes? I'm pretty sure that has to be an N. it takes a little bit to imagine but if they merged and bent straight it could be. that or an S. they both have to bend a lot though...

Either way let's not get into backwards characters. we'll go mad.

4th word starts with a s and i dont think they are backwards now just a bit harder to see since everything is square
    I'm still really unsure about S E ? R I A M

Could this be a lost letter? maybe U?
    Sigil wrote:
    I'm still really unsure about S E ? R I A M

Could this be a lost letter? maybe U?

when i saw it i thought the same thing. u w or j, u seems most likely to fit.
    spacedot wrote:

You're certain that it isn't a T then?
    Sigil wrote:
    spacedot wrote:

You're certain that it isn't a T then?

Not after reading your comment. Geveo did say he got some of these from side angles.
    that would make the word setriam?

so all together it would be

lerahei hafad
    dar setriam
    xes dar yadei

that is just a guess but looks like more of the same from last time and even tho i hate wild speculation and discourage it with you mentioning given and this being a picture of a seed with a glow on its hand, maybe this is how we were given our hand gems?
    spacedot wrote:
    Geveo did say he got some of these from side angles.
    Did he? Uh oh.
    spacedot wrote:
    that is just a guess but looks like more of the same from last time and even tho i hate wild speculation and discourage it with you mentioning given and this being a picture of a seed with a glow on its hand, maybe this is how we were given our hand gems?

Interesting guess. If you'll notice there's a faint blue on the gem there. lets see what the words mean.
    lerahei hafad
    dar setriam
    xes dar yadei

have
    given

given

All I can puzzle out so far. I had a few blips with the translator but nothing solid.

I thought Xes might be Plural X meaning mark (marks) but it's reaching.

Anyways g'night. Maybe someone will make a breakthrough tomorrow.
    Sigil wrote:
    lerahei hafad
    dar setriam
    xes dar yadei

have
    given

given

All I can puzzle out so far. I had a few blips with the translator but nothing solid.

Anyways g'night. Maybe someone will make a breakthrough tomorrow.

xes came out as look see ect but now google translate doesn't show me the same things.
    i noticed the link to my last post seems to be broken so I found another: http://translate.google.com/#hi/en/%E0% ... 7%E0%A4%82
    The hindi symbol shown is spelled with english characters as Yaadein similar to the last word of the text and translates to memories
    mkjns wrote:
    i noticed the link to my last post seems to be broken so I found another: http://translate.google.com/#hi/en/%E0% ... 7%E0%A4%82
    The hindi symbol shown is spelled with english characters as Yaadein similar to the last word of the text and translates to memories

that would make it end in given memories. i shall finish up a decoded picture for first op tonight for the us people to work on tomorrow.
  • ArkneosArkneos REGISTERED Posts: 71
    Ahg - sorry I was gone for today, guys, I'm adding the new stuff to the master post!
    updated first post with new decoded image with letters on it.
    Some potentially helpful translations

"Lera" in this first word "lerahei" means "clay ; loam ; mud ; dredgings ; slush ; silt ; mud flat" in swedish http://www.interglot.com/dictionary/sv/ ... slate/lera. and "hei" from the ending of the word means

hei:
    heathland ; moor ; heather ; heath
    heien:
    drive piles ; ram ; drive
    http://www.interglot.com/dictionary/nl/en/translate/hei

"Hafad" is similar to "hafod" in welsh meaning "farm(in the noun and verbal sense" http://glosbe.com/cy/en/hafod
  • GeveoGeveo REGISTERED Posts: 37
    I'm a long way from reaching any conclusions about the new text, but I do have some thoughts to throw into the mix.

I started by working from the raw image without the translations. I think with some of the runes the jury is still out on exactly which letter they represent, and I didn't want to be prejudiced by other people's first readings. Here's what I came up with:

Now, these are obviously speculative. The L and Z in the Alpha Font are very similar, and look a lot like the presumed A from the Card Font. The first letter here may very well be an L, but I think it's every bit as likely to be a Z. "Zerah" is Hebrew for "Sunrise", which could be an interesting starting point.
    For the fourth word, the first letter may be N... it's not far from the Alpha Font N, and really about halfway between that rune and the Card Font N. The puzzling "8" rune may be a T, with the right side closed rather than open. It seems pretty similar to me.

Also potentially important is that we have more context for this image than the Golden Text.

First, obviously, it's carved stone. Is it a tombstone?
    Then there is the Seed. The blue gem has been noted, but there's also the matter of the outfit... the Seed looks as if he is wearing a mask that he's raised off his face, or that may be some sort of hat or helmet. He also seems to be wearing a loincloth, and maybe chainmail or some sort of armor on his legs.

The shoulder harness looks similar to what we see in this image:

Other observations:
    Two words have the now-familiar "ei" ending.
    "Dar" may simply be "The", especially considering it appears twice. That may not be the case, but would give us a start on sentence structure.
    The seed looks fairly young... very thin neck. Not very muscular.
    Sigil wrote:
    lerahei hafad
    dar setriam
    xes dar yadei

have
    given

given

As with the golden text, we have some interesting possibilities, but nothing to feel confident about in the translations. If we go with Zerah meaning Dawn, it might refer to an awakening or (re)birth, which fits well with Memory, for the last word, and the possibility that this passage refers to handgems.

Here's one possible translation... admittedly fanciful:

Awakening (Zerah)
    Have (Hafad)
    Given (Dar)
    Handgem? (Netriam)
    That/which? (Xen)
    Gives (Dar)
    Memory (Yadei)

Or, roughly
    "Awakened Seedlings have been given a handgem which grants them knowledge."
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    Geveo wrote:
    Or, roughly
    "Awakened Seedlings have been given a handgem which grants them knowledge."

Well that is very convincing right there, holy poop.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    If we find credible evidence that Netriam means Gem, or the like, and I'll buy this. Until then we'll have to keep trying.
    Sigil wrote:
    If we find credible evidence that Netriam means Gem, or the like, and I'll buy this. Until then we'll have to keep trying.
    Oh yeah, totally... Like I said, a fanciful idea, but we don't have solid evidence for even a single word of it. I'm still very much focused on possibilities rather than conclusions, and hoping to tease out some elements of syntax or structure along the way.

I SERIOUSLY doubt we'll be able to come to any firm conclusions until we have much more to work with, and if NK is determined to make the language an ongoing challenge even into and beyond release, we will likely never be able to be fully confident of our translations (though hopefully we'll narrow things down a little better).

We can't even be sure of the runes in this set, as some of them (the very first one, for instance) could plausibly be any of two or three possibilities.

The Alpha Font is just about the only thing we have that we can be reasonably certain of, and perhaps some portions of the Banner Font. Everything else is speculation and guesswork. Some of that guesswork is informed guesswork, but we can't assume that makes it correct.

Even the whole "look for similar words in other languages" approach may be a dead end. NK may very well be constructing "Tug Language" (Merylisk uses #tug language as a #hashtag, so I think that's what we have to call it for now) largely out of whole cloth.

However, that being said, I do think Latin is the most reliable place to look for cognates, particularly since NK uses near-Latin in their motto, and because so many words in the Golden Text seem to derive from Latin... Stelam, Oblivisei, Tenebrei, Eternei, Devotei... all plausibly based on Latin roots.

*Edit*
    I should also add that Latin is the most likely source for Tug Language (or at least Tug Words), because for many centuries Latin has been (or was) the accepted universal language FOR SCIENCE!
    We do seem to be finding a lot of latin and near latin words. my worry is that they've throw in wholey new words that we may not ever understand without learning the context it's used in.
  • SmartyOf95SmartyOf95 REGISTERED Posts: 394
    I don't know whether you guys have already said this, but I remember from a video (sorry couldn't find it), where during an interview, Merylisk said that if people are familiar with Latin and Arabic, then they should find the TUG language easy.
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
    edited September 2013
    SmartyOf95 wrote:
    I don't know whether you guys have already said this, but I remember from a video (sorry couldn't find it), where during an interview, Merylisk said that if people are familiar with Latin and Arabic, then they should find the TUG language easy.

Do you think you can track that down? I'm pretty sure nothing like that has been said in any of the videos I've seen. I don't remember anything being said about the language at all. But I don't doubt that there are podcasts and other such things that I've not run across.

*EDIT*

Found it! Merylisk interview. Very interesting stuff on runes and lore from @Merylisk and @AzzytheAussie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsblPJV--HM
    And Part II of that interview here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGiQbiKMSfU

The whole interview is worth listening to, but the parts where Merylisk talks about the runes and lore come early in the first one, and then right at the end of the second one.

KEY STUFF FROM THIS INTERVIEW:
    Chunks of text/lore will appear in-game in ruins, on murals, etc. (I think we all pretty much expected this)
    Merylisk is indeed using ancient languages as launchpoints. She describes what she is doing as creating a "Pidgin" of several languages. She mentions Latin and Arabic.
    She specifically noted that she's working on developing a syntax/grammar framework that will allow room for players to add to the language. She states that the vocabulary she's actually developing for the game is fairly small.

*MORE EDIT*
    OK... last thing before I go to bed. I don't do the Twitter, but no price is too great... dug through her twitter feed, and came on this @Merylisk quote:
    "inventing fictional verb tenses is simultaneously the most fun and most mentally exhausting thing I've ever done" (Tweet from August 8th)
  • SmartyOf95SmartyOf95 REGISTERED Posts: 394
    Nice job finding it xD I was having trouble looking for it because I've run outta downloads for this month :(
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
    SmartyOf95 wrote:
    Nice job finding it xD I was having trouble looking for it because I've run outta downloads for this month :(

Thanks for letting everyone know it was out there to find! :D

All things TUG were a little disrupted for the last month or so with the switch over to the new forums, and (for me at least) that interview totally fell through the cracks.