TUG runes

Comments

• SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    I just want to point out this showed up on the forums:

Administrators, Developers, Global moderators, Vakaethei

Vakaethei I believe would be vaka- and -thei which I would guess would mean "Watchers" in this context as vaka can mean watch and the members are NK's scientists. Their purpose is to watch us and analyze data on what we do.
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    I really don't know what it could mean. I am more looking forward to the next rune to see what text it is in.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I asked Shadee about it actually, and she said that their science guys are members of it.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • sylviidaesylviidae REGISTERED Posts: 1
    ok guys, im just going to chime in (hey, might as well make my first post productive) - zerah in concurrent hebrew is actually "seed". as an israeli i can confirm this fully. so zerahei could very well just be a word for "seeds" (going by -ei being plural) or something of the sort. in essence, it might not even be a ~mystical term~ for the ancient race of seeds or something, it may just be "seeds" in their language. sorry if im late or someone already said this, i am somewhat tentative to go through 52 pages of this thread, heheh.
    hope i can start contributing to this thread as linguistics is one of my passions (:
    sylviidae wrote:
    ok guys, im just going to chime in (hey, might as well make my first post productive) - zerah in concurrent hebrew is actually "seed". as an israeli i can confirm this fully. so zerahei could very well just be a word for "seeds" (going by -ei being plural) or something of the sort. in essence, it might not even be a ~mystical term~ for the ancient race of seeds or something, it may just be "seeds" in their language. sorry if im late or someone already said this, i am somewhat tentative to go through 52 pages of this thread, heheh.
    hope i can start contributing to this thread as linguistics is one of my passions (:

Always welcome to have people with knowledge of different languages join in. Can you tell me if any of the following are also translatable or something close: halohei,devotei, eterneti, tenabrei and ferahei. If you see anything which has a translation which makes sense make sure to post it.
  • ZekloZeklo REGISTERED Posts: 344 Seed
    spacedot wrote:
    sylviidae wrote:

Always welcome to have people with knowledge of different languages join in. Can you tell me if any of the following are also translatable or something close: halohei,devotei, eterneti, tenabrei and ferahei. If you see anything which has a translation which makes sense make sure to post it.
    Tenebrae (slightly different from tenabrei) means death/darkness in Latin.
    "All things must come to an end." "I am but one of many." "Why? Why not!"
  • RecktoffinRecktoffin REGISTERED Posts: 12 Seed
    I'm just thinking about how awesome it would be to have a font on my computer in TUGGLES... :shock: :D Unfortunately I know nothing about translating runes so i'm not a big help :P But wow! I am impressed so far with what you people have! Keep up the awesome work! :D
    23.jpg
  • RecktoffinRecktoffin REGISTERED Posts: 12 Seed
    Actually, I might just see whether I can find out what these runes are:

icDAlMS.png
    xYY049s.png
    pg0j9ci.png
    23.jpg
    Recktoffin wrote:
    Actually, I might just see whether I can find out what these runes are:

icDAlMS.png
    xYY049s.png
    pg0j9ci.png

I still think icDAlMS.png and pg0j9ci.png are the same letter. The only letters left where we have nothing confirmed are w and j. Those two are one of those letters. xYY049s.png should be the other one. If we ever get runes with those letters it will complete the alphabet and we can fill in where they have been used.
  • AmonostAmonost REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    NEW RUNIC FONT!!
    6.jpg
    I got:
    Tha'aevi komad
    neuria'ya

I'm not certain though.
  • TeknonickTeknonick REGISTERED Posts: 166 Seed
    Wait, it's a trap!

I think this new rune is a trick to throw us off course. I have no reason to know this, other than a survivalist feeling... that, and it's just soo... I don't know why I've thought this, truthfully.
    The mix between the Adventurer and the Trapper yields the Tracker. Living in humble homes to help those in need. Always looking for the right coin, yet never theft is in their eyes.
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
    So i am a bit late to this but i wont be putting updated pic on front post till i go over and confirm the letters for this new font. Expect one tomorrow. This may not be the last TUGGLES font we get but it will be the last font from "history seeds". Meaning the next one may be the ones our generation of seeds would use. This might sound weird but i saw a new font coming and think we may even have new gods with it. Soon i'll do post with my generational theory for you guys to see and pick apart.
    spacedot wrote:
    So i am a bit late to this but i wont be putting updated pic on front post till i go over and confirm the letters for this new font. Expect one tomorrow. This may not be the last TUGGLES font we get but it will be the last font from "history seeds". Meaning the next one may be the ones our generation of seeds would use. This might sound weird but i saw a new font coming and think we may even have new gods with it. Soon i'll do post with my generational theory for you guys to see and pick apart.

Sounds interesting. I think it deserves it's own thread to discuss.
    I know you are busy with your modding videos but maybe you should make a lore one? Just a kinda catchup to the point we are at now one.
    spacedot wrote:
    I know you are busy with your modding videos but maybe you should make a lore one? Just a kinda catchup to the point we are at now one.

That's not a bad idea actually.
    If you want any help from me just pm. I'll put it on front post so everyone coming here sees it.
    edited May 2014
    Finally got around to writing this up so here is a part my "Generational theory".

After the lore in a min video revealed that zerahei means seed ( as in the player seed ) i decided to go back and try and find any words which were similar. Devotei, eterneti and tenabrei all felt like they were names for generations. They all come from the second set of runes predating the ones of the known twelve. Zerahei is on the first, then a rune with one of the known twelve ( belived to be called preal ) is after it. The next three are in order with carvings of things we do not know. When these came out i think everyone was a bit in the dark and had no real clue of what they were. Because of that we may have overlooked their importance. When i looked back on these and saw the similar words to zerahei and that the first rune was a seed itself with zerahei as the first word, i questioned if the next ones were the same? Is this just a outline of the groups in the lore? Were fonts exclusive not only to the runes but who wrote them? But With then only three fonts i wasn't sure because there are 5 runes. Removing ourselves four. Still not enough. Then we got a fourth and it once again became a possibility to me.

Merylisk when you read this pm me what you think even if you don't really say anything i just want to suggest something but you need to have read this before for it to make sense.
  • Ashen44Ashen44 REGISTERED Posts: 207 Seed
    spacedot wrote:
    Devotei, eterneti and tenabrei all felt like they were names for generations.
    Wait… tenabrei? If you've ever played with the thaumcraft mod for minecraft you'll know that thats the word they use for the "dark" aspect, suggesting that it means something evil/dark because they make their aspects names at least similar to what they really mean. using this supposed knowledge we could say that "tenabrei", if a generation name, could be a more evil generation, or a generation that more kept to the dark, possibly living underground. if not a generation name then it could just mean dark and spooky. I don't know, just throwing my knowledge out there. hey, you should go check out the thaumcraft aspect names and what they mean, and see if they match up with any of the words we have so far. in fact, doing that now.

EDIT: wait, just checked the definition list and noticed that you definitely already have tenabrei as darkness, but it was still my knowledge of mine craft mods that caused me to think of it! so hah!
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
    Ashen44 wrote:
    spacedot wrote:
    Devotei, eterneti and tenabrei all felt like they were names for generations.
    Wait… tenabrei? If you've ever played with the thaumcraft mod for minecraft you'll know that thats the word they use for the "dark" aspect, suggesting that it means something evil/dark because they make their aspects names at least similar to what they really mean. using this supposed knowledge we could say that "tenabrei", if a generation name, could be a more evil generation, or a generation that more kept to the dark, possibly living underground. if not a generation name then it could just mean dark and spooky. I don't know, just throwing my knowledge out there. hey, you should go check out the thaumcraft aspect names and what they mean, and see if they match up with any of the words we have so far. in fact, doing that now.

EDIT: wait, just checked the definition list and noticed that you definitely already have tenabrei as darkness, but it was still my knowledge of mine craft mods that caused me to think of it! so hah!

I did not play minecraft so i have no knowledge of thaumcraft. Right now we have one rune with the word on it and unfortunately it also has the letter we have nothing confirmed for in one of the words. Them living in darkness sounds more plausible than being evil. We don't even know who wrote them so they may have not even called themselves tenaberi. Which leaves me to write up the second half of my generational threoy.
    Do you think you could also post your Generalisation theory to the first post? It's the first thing people are going to see and might make it easier for new members of the forum to get into this thread!
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    Do you think you could also post your Generalisation theory to the first post? It's the first thing people are going to see and might make it easier for new members of the forum to get into this thread!

Its kinda long and you will have needed to have seen all the runes for it to make sense. I could put it into spoiler lists but i haven't even posted the second half on here yet. which i will do tonight just trying to sort out getting my watchdogs key.
    Generational theory part two

Following on from the last post you would notice that i did not say what the last generation was. Ferahei comes from the 15th rune. Its also the closest one to the spelling of zerahei. Unlike the last 4 this one comes with a image of one of the twelve ( so we believe ). When Merylisk did her dev blog she reveled a few things to us, one of those was that she had already given us our TUGGLES name for the current seeds. I believe we are the ferahei. Seeds do not look like any of the other four ( excluding zerahei ) and with the information that the name is there somewhere, its just process of elimination that delivered me to the conclusion. There still are other words which is could be but i believe this is the best fit.

To summarize. I theorize that we the players and current seeds are called ferahei. There are four groups of beings or gods that predate our existence ingame. They had a writing style which changed from group to group or generation to generation. There could possibly be one more writing style which is what players would use.
  • AuraAura REGISTERED Posts: 15 Seed
    I have not read all the pages, so someone may have already suggested this, but...:
    I believe that the first six tablets talk about the entities in the land of TUG.
    The first one introduces four entities on each individual line.
    Then the next tablets provide a form of bio for each entity.
    I think the second one is the seed, then... I don't know, but the fourth one it (I guess) probably something like a priest, one who devotes their time to worship of the next entity "level".
    I think the entity on the fifth tablet is some form of minor god. with the final level being the major gods.
    Another possibility is that they are, respectively, the light and dark gods, though I do not think that fits in with the rest of my theory.
    Possibly the 7th to 9th ones give some back-story, and the 10th to 16th are descriptions of the "eternei" ("minor gods") or "tenebraei" ("major gods").
    Just thoughts, but enough to base lore on.
    I do Minecraft, TUG (of course), Portal (I and II), and occasionally TF2 and HAWKEN.
    I can't even decide on a single username, so I have multiple of 'em.
    YAY! Chocolate!
  • glitch2210glitch2210 REGISTERED Posts: 311
    edited August 2014
    Hey guys! so i just finished the first run of my Custom TUG Rune font.

It still needs a bit of work, but its super easy to make a custom font like this.
    I just love the idea of being able to Write stuff in TUG Runes in my own handwriting on my comp.

what do you guys think of my first attempt?

tumblr_nagb0tpdL61tji1iso1_500.png
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    Neat! I love the idea, especially if it gets packaged for the web so we can use it on websites, wikis, etc.! (I've never done it myself, but apparently there are websites that will package it up for you that way.)

Is there a place to download your font so I can install it and play with it?

Of course, given my personality, I have all sorts of mild quibbles with the exact shapes. If it were mine, I'd probably be doing lots of tweaking for readability and letter distinction. And adding kerning hints. But that's me. Overall, I love it!

Are you planning on doing fonts for the other scripts, too?
    edited August 2014
    I would be glad to send it to anyone who wants to use it.

additionally i will do you one better. its actually super easy to make it using this site i found. im putting together a tutorial so that anyone who wants can make there own.

EDIT:

ok so i have updated the Font i made: i remade it with a different pen style in paint this time to test out that method for the tutorial im making, i actually like this new one a lot better. it has also been expanded to include both uppercase and lowercase key strokes. ( they are the same runes, however by duplicating them you are able to get slight variations between the two which adds to the hand written feel i was going for.)

i am going to try and get a tutorial video up tonight for anyone else who wants to make there own hand written TUG RUNE font. adds a real personal touch id say =D

Ok, as promised i have made a tutorial video on how to make your own custom TUG RUNE font!

I will put the link down at the bottom if anyone is interested.

I really feel like it was better to make a Tutorial rather then just pass out the Font to people. Hand writing is such a rich expression of a person, you really can learn a lot about someone based on the way they wright. I want to see that level of personal expression in the language of TUG! i think it would be amazing if instead of everyone all relying on the same Font, people took the 10 minutes or so it would take to make there own Font in there own handwriting. that level of diversity and self expression is really what brings written language to life and i think it would be wonderful to see that here as well.

Alright, that is enough mushy rambling for now lol

Hope you guys Enjoy, and look forward to seeing if other people use this stuff =D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD33kPZpphU

OK so the font is very nice but i think we are already going to be getting one as seen in the kickstarter rewards. I disagree on everyone making their own version of it to mimic handwriting. I have terrible handwriting and its hard to read, imaging not being able to read other peoples. You can resize images with imgur its very easy and makes the thread a lot easier to read.

Vv986JUl.jpg
    spacedot wrote:
    You can resize images with imgur its very easy and makes the thread a lot easier to read.

or you can use the
    tag.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png