TUG runes

spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
edited March 2015 in Lore & Theories
TUG RUNES

This is the TUG rune thread continuing on from the very first thread on the first forums.The initial thread was made by Geveo who is currently no longer active.I copied the information from the first thread to save it when the forums were changing over and have now taken over updating.The major contributors currently are Sigil and Leif. Sigil has made all of the single rune images below .If you would like to post theory's or just speculation please post.
Tutorial Video(currently not made)
Blog post by Merylisk

Dev Blog #2: TUGGLES, or The Untitled Game Group Linguistics Exploration System
I’m Meryl, aka merylisk, the lore writer/narrative designer for TUG, and this is the second of our dev blog series! We’re going to start trying to do these every week now, to keep you guys in the loop with what we’ve been working on, as well as exciting things we have planned!

Today, I’m going to talk a bit about my process in creating the original language for TUG. I call it “TUGGLES” as a sort of inside joke with myself, but it’s actually an acronym that stands for “The Untitled Game Group Linguistics Exploration System.” It’s goofy, but it does accurately describe our goals in creating the language system.
I call it a “Group Linguistics Exploration System” not only because translating and decoding the language will hopefully be a collaborative effort amongst our players, but also because I eventually hope that players will add to and expand upon the language as the game grows. Similar to our philosophy in approaching the rest of the game’s lore, we want to create a framework for open-ended storytelling rather than a rigid linear narrative.

We’ve always envisioned TUG as a game where players will have tons of freedom to create and define their own reality within the game. Initially, we didn’t want to use a naming system at all… we wanted players to be able to name things in the game as they saw fit, including lore elements and deity figures. However, once we started creating documentation for a lot of these elements, not having names for anything obviously got very confusing very quickly.

We realized these two things didn’t necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. Game elements could be given “official” names, but players would in no way be obligated to stick to those names, especially if we framed our names for things as archaic remains from an ancient civilization. Some players will keep the old names, we reasoned, while others will create new ones, similar to how the ancient Romans renamed all the Greek deities, for example.

Prior to this, we had been using Latin as our internal naming system for things. However, we hit a point where we had to decide, for the sake of consistency, if we wanted to use grammatically correct Latin, or go for a more stylized, Latin-based “fake” Latin, if you will. That was when I suggested the idea of scrapping Latin entirely, and creating a completely original language for TUG. Thus, TUGGLES was born.

The grammar and syntax for TUGGLES are entirely original. I suppose they’re loosely inspired in some ways by Turkish and Czech, because I have modest backgrounds in both languages, but I tried very hard to keep the syntax as simple as possible, and the sentence structure relatively close to English. For a lot of stylistic decisions, I went with my gut or followed my creative instincts.

Overall, I wanted to create the impression that the language is a pidgin of real-world ancient languages. So the vast majority of the vocabulary is drawn from (or at least inspired by) existing languages, and then modified to fit TUGGLES’ grammar and verb forms. Over the past few months, I’ve been slowly cobbling together a relatively short (but constantly expanding) dictionary, which draws from Latin, ancient Greek, Arabic, Coptic, Sanskrit, Hebrew, Japanese, Old Nahuatl, Old Norse, Tlingit, Tamil, Navajo, Tibetan, and Proto-Indo-European, among others. It’s been quite an undertaking, to say the least, but also one of the most fun projects I’ve ever worked on!

On top of that, the language has its own runic alphabet, which was created by Lo, one of our concept artists, with some help from John, our lead designer.

I’ve been releasing passages written in the runed language over the last few months to get a feel for what the learning curve will be like. The runes I’ve been sharing are designed to slowly help players to parse out the grammar and syntax, and begin piecing together the vocabulary. Some of the speculation and translation attempts have been spot-on so far! Others have been completely off the mark. Eventually, the community will have access to a large enough sample size for attentive translators to begin to determine which is which. I’m very curious to see how long it will be before the community can reliably and accurately translate the runes!

Of course, players will at no point be obligated to learn or decode the language themselves to fully explore or appreciate the world of TUG. Once the core language has been translated, I don’t doubt it will all get put on a wiki somewhere for everyone else to reference (in fact, it’s already starting to), and that’s totally fine! And certainly, many of the lore secrets they hold will become common knowledge among players, eventually.

However, those dedicated, curious linguists among you who become fully versed in the ancient tongue (especially those who got there first!) will surely be valued and sought after within the TUG community for their translation abilities, as new runed artifacts and ruins continue to be discovered within the game! So, if this sort of thing is your passion… now’s your chance to place those skills at premium!

Good luck, Seedlings… or as the ancient Zerahei would say, “Hafator mazz’ael!”

That’s a freebie for you guys. ;)

-merylisk

p.s. The language does have an actual lore-based name besides TUGGLES. And here’s another hint: this name has already been revealed in one of the runes! WHOA WHAT I KNOW RIGHT

Decoded Runes
The most recent rune is below. If you click on it you will be taken to the album of all runes.
R8X8jH0l.png

Runes as individual images

Runic Font

u1gJsKn.png kyH2CMz.png OFn38bX.png sUQSOBF.png kZrocu4.png vvH44DV.png n1Zfxg4.png ZKbkOhX.png WnfPdul.png Hh4FI4R.png cnYy3PZ.png MQmK5jF.png u2oG914.png 0cOjMgE.png AOjyVta.png g9IHoAl.png UMoEKta.png hQivi2j.png 4L6nGDL.png kw8gpja.png Hh4FI4R.pngM8PtCeT.png Hh4FI4R.png Hh4FI4R.png aTh4tVl.png EjAUvzz.png e6ZHj16.png
A BC D E F G H I J K L M N OPQ R S TU VW X Y Z

Cubic Font

6J5gb7X.png xvlVR0L.png Hh4FI4R.png wCU8FA0.png ia1ei9r.png MGCF4k2.png MfMsxSB.png axe3gt8.png PnULsCJ.png Hh4FI4R.png RCZ0MMW.png llDeYn9.png UG6IYxB.png LL0McyN.png rtk4LY6.png Hh4FI4R.png Hh4FI4R.png 8Qvsp4n.png XtCCO20.png OGOKwLJ.png Hh4FI4R.png xFLJAER.png Hh4FI4R.png nzv0xmg.pngDHV97sQ.png rZlHGyy.png icDAlMS.png xYY049s.png
A BC D E F G H I JK L M N O PQR S TU VWX Y Z ? ?

Origin Font

CnKr9Cw.png honscwT.png S0iGQYa.png MF0AJH5.png UeaTOg3.png Hh4FI4R.png Dc1Bkuy.png X7a2NH7.png EsJgtSV.png Hh4FI4R.png K9zxBR8.png bydUZXW.png EPiZehO.png zEsw1uo.png jbyi6Tz.png 4sjvaw0.png Hh4FI4R.png ieUssUO.png fsapsMI.png KILdJye.png nnd5lJP.png pOB6xq6.png Hh4FI4R.pngHh4FI4R.pngHh4FI4R.png Fdbt2Kd.png Ol5Ryoy.png pg0j9ci.png
ABC DE FGHI J KLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ ?
Fonts and a explanation

Runic Font
(1)
Runic was the font used in the very first "Rune", but no other one. Some of the letters were data mined from the game itself which is why you wont see runes with some letters in it. Only with one rune to go off and not much of it understood very little is know about this font.
u1gJsKn.png kyH2CMz.png OFn38bX.png sUQSOBF.png kZrocu4.png vvH44DV.png n1Zfxg4.png ZKbkOhX.png WnfPdul.png Hh4FI4R.png cnYy3PZ.png MQmK5jF.png u2oG914.png 0cOjMgE.png AOjyVta.png g9IHoAl.png UMoEKta.png hQivi2j.png 4L6nGDL.png kw8gpja.png Hh4FI4R.pngM8PtCeT.png Hh4FI4R.png Hh4FI4R.png aTh4tVl.png EjAUvzz.png e6ZHj16.png
A BC D E F G H I J K L M N OPQ R S TU VW X Y Z

Cubic Font
(2-7)
Cubic font was the second font used in runes.They picture five beings with text below, The last rune has a crack all the way through. The first two have mentions of things we know ( Zerahei,Oblivisei ). The last three have beings we are yet to learn about ( Devotei,Eternei,Tenebrei ). The last rune has no being on it, but it was confirmed that it said survival games. It was released before multiplayer was implemented.
6J5gb7X.png xvlVR0L.png Hh4FI4R.png wCU8FA0.png ia1ei9r.png MGCF4k2.png MfMsxSB.png axe3gt8.png PnULsCJ.png Hh4FI4R.png RCZ0MMW.png llDeYn9.png UG6IYxB.png LL0McyN.png rtk4LY6.png Hh4FI4R.png Hh4FI4R.png 8Qvsp4n.png XtCCO20.png OGOKwLJ.png Hh4FI4R.png xFLJAER.png Hh4FI4R.png nzv0xmg.pngDHV97sQ.png rZlHGyy.png icDAlMS.png xYY049s.png
A BC D E F G H I JK L M N O PQR S TU VWX Y Z ? ?

Origin Font
( 8-21 )
Origin font is the most used out of all fonts. With two different rune sets it has fourteen individual runes. Two of runes were released with the note that they said said the same thing. The other twelve had pictures of the previously seen deities. It is believed that the names of all twelve were included in their rune.

CnKr9Cw.png honscwT.png S0iGQYa.png MF0AJH5.png UeaTOg3.png Hh4FI4R.png Dc1Bkuy.png X7a2NH7.png EsJgtSV.png Hh4FI4R.png K9zxBR8.png bydUZXW.png EPiZehO.png zEsw1uo.png jbyi6Tz.png 4sjvaw0.png Hh4FI4R.png ieUssUO.png fsapsMI.png KILdJye.png nnd5lJP.png pOB6xq6.png Hh4FI4R.pngHh4FI4R.pngHh4FI4R.png Fdbt2Kd.png Ol5Ryoy.png pg0j9ci.png
ABC DE FGHI J KLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ ?

Possible Punctuation
-a/o
may be a gender note (in Stela/Thera/Caela/Xaro)

'as
as (Latin): penny/ copper coin; a pound; one/ whole/ unit; round slice

'athei
athe- (Latin): atheist

-d
may be mark of a verb

-ei
may be mark as a plural
may be mark as a plural noun

'etan
etana (Sanskrit): expiration, breathing out, discharge of air from the lungs
etani (Sanskrit): these

'iya
iyam (Sanskrit): this

-l
may be mark of a preposition

-m'iya may be a mark of the Gods

-m
may be mark as a singular noun

Suspected Definitions
agrav'agon
aggravatus (Latin): Aggravate, Burden
agravaron (Spanish): to make worse

agrav
Agrar (Swedish): related to Agricultural or rural

agon
agon (Latin): A struggle or contest; conflict; especially between the protagonist and antagonist in a literary work.

ahtator
astator (Latin) second-person singular future passive imperative of astō: I stand at, on, by.

ameir
amir (Arabic): Commander, Prince
am- (Latin): love/like; fall in love with; be fond of; have a tendency to

bellum
bellum (Latin): War
bellum (Latin): war/ warfare; battle/ combat/ fight; at or in war; military force/ arms [a war/a battle/a fight]

caelam'iya
caila (Sanskrit): piece of cloth
caelo (Latin): carve, engrave
caela- (Latin): carve, make raised work/relief; engrave, emboss [this engraving/ this relief]

creod
credo (latin): I Believe, doctrine, tenet, philosophy
creo (latin): create, to make grow
creo- (Latin): to create, make [create/creates/created]

da

dar
dar (latin): given
dar (Azerbaijani): narrow

darashad

devotei
devotus (Latin): vowed, promised, dedicated, having been vowed, appointed, destined, having been appointed
devotee (English)
devoted (English)
devot- (Latin): devote, devout, devoutly, devoted [the devout/Devout]

er

eternei
eternity (english): infinite, unending time
aeternus (Latin): permanent, lasting, perpetual, eternal, endless, immortal
etern- (Latin): eternal, eternally, everlasting, unending [the Eternals]

hafad
hafað (old norse): have, keep, hold, accept

halohei
Halohei(name): ruler of the repaired.
halo- (Latin): halo; emit (vapor); be fragrant [the halos/ their halos]

ka'as
kājas (Latvian) Legs or Feet
ka (ancient Egyptian): spirit or soul of dead person

kamenei
kámen (Czech): stone substance, small piece, board game piece
kamen (Low German): to come
kamen (japanese): mask, disguise, interior surface
kamen (Sanskrit): out of love or affection for; according to desire; according to the wishes of

kavos

katos (Finnish): Shelter, Cover, Canopy, Shed
kavas (Sanskrit): emitting sound, creaking, open, yawning
kava (Sanskrit): miserly, selfish; sound; express depreciation of deficiency
kavi (Sanskrit): enlightened, prudent, intelligent, skillful, knowing, cunning, wise

komasen

kozaiku

laevoda
laevo (latin): left side, awkward, foolish, unlucky
laevo- (Latin): left, on of from the left; unpropitious, unfavorable, harmful [harms/ disfavors]

mazzal
mazza- (Latin): mace, club

ne?riam
neniam (Esperanto): never

oblivioh

oblivisei'ya

oblivisei

oblivion (English): forgotten, unconscious, unaware, being destroyed
oblivisci (Latin): forget/to forget
oblivi- (Latin): forgetfulness, oblivion [the forgotten/Forgotten]

oblivith

oullem

prael

prae (latin): before (also english: pre-)
prae (Latin): before/ in front; in view of/ because of [before/ in front of]

rashad'athei

rashad

rathad (Gaelic): way (out of the way, on the way)

rupam
rupam (Latvian): caterpillar
rupam (Sanskrit): beauty
rupa- (Sanskrit): appearance, figure, form, nature, kind, splendor, character

san
San (Spanish): Saint

stelam'iya
stela (Latin): inscribed stone or wooden slab
stela (Old Norse): steal, rob
stelam (Latin) : column, pillar
stela- (Latin): pillar, column [this pillar]

tamod
tama- (Sanskrit): night; darkness; longing, yearning, anxiety, distress [darkens/ longs for]
tami- (Sanskrit): night; restraining the breath until exhaustion
tamu- (Sanskrit): praiser [praises]

teacid

teachd (Scottish Gaelic): coming, arriving
tacit (english): implied

tenebrei

tenebrae (latin): shadows, darkness
tenebros (Romanian): Dark, Gloomly, Obscure
tenebr- (Latin): darkness [the darknesses/ the Dark Ones]

theram'iya

torei

vaenya

vakad

vaka (Turkish): event
vaka (Old Norse): awake, be awake, stay awake, watch, vigil
vaka (Sanskrit): sounding, speaking; chattering, murmuring, humming, text, recitation or formula, rite

Vakath

ve
ve (Czech): in
ve (Galician): third-person singular present indicative of ver: to see
ve (turkish): and
ve (Serbo-Croatian): Now
ve (Italian): (to) you
ve (Swedish): Misery, woe

xarom'iya
хромая (Russian): limping, Lamely
хоромы (Russian): rich home, Mansion

xen

yadei

yad- (Hebrew): hand [the hands]

xa?enei

Zerahei

zerah- (Hebrew): sunrise; Zerah (proper name) [the sunrises/ Zerah]

?ast

Comments

• ArkneosArkneos REGISTERED Posts: 71
    New runes came out today! I'm decoding them into English letters as we speak - I'll get the post-translation up as soon as I can for the language nuts ;)
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    edited April 2014
    [This post is no longer relevant <3]
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    @Pamcakes

Yes!
    @Pamcakes

Yes!
    edited November 2013
    All right so I decoded the new TUG runes into the English alphabet;

Stelam'iya eternei creod

Caelam'iya, devotei vakad

Theram'iya, oblivisei teacid

Xarom'iya, ahtator tenebrei

Facts;
    There were four lines on the 'stone'
    Each line had three words on them
    'Iya' is at the end of each word that starts a line
    Commas ',' are only seen after the first line and continue on until the lines end
    None of the words are the same

Translation
    (IN PROGRESS - We still don't know if this is all right or not! Please give your suggestions as to what you think it might be/mean):

''Four out of The Twelve'';

stelam'iya eternei creod
    The god [Stela] created the Eternals:

caelam'iya, devotei vakad
    The god [Caela], who woke the Destined (Of the destined?)

theram'iya, oblivisei teacid
    The god [Thera], of the Forgotten spoke/taught
    The god [Thera], who taught the Forgotten

xarom'iya, ahtator tenebrei
    The god [Xaro], (ruler?) to/of the Dark ones

Second stone;

lerahei hafad

dar setriam

xes dar yadei

Translation;
    (IN PROGRESS - We still don't know if this is all right or not! Please give your suggestions as to what you think it might be/mean):

(The) Awakening have

(Been) given (a) handgem

That (which) gives (them) memories

Third Stone:

Zerahei hafad dar netriam xen dar yadei

Oblivisei hafad dar netriam xen dar kamenei

Translation;

The Seed(ling)s had their [netriam] in their gems

The Forgotten had their [netriam] in their masks

Fourth Stone:

devotei hafad

dar ne?riam san

halohei

Translation;

Fifth stone:

eternei hafad
    dar negriam xen
    dar xa?enei

Translation;

Sixth stone:

Tenebrei tamod dar negriam xarom'etan

Translation;

Seventh stone:

agrav'agon
    komasen

Translation;
  • mkjnsmkjns REGISTERED Posts: 29
    It might not be much help but the first word of the first line looks alot like the latin word stella meaning "star". Also, the first word in the second line is very close to the latin word Caelum meaning "Sky" or "heavens"
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    I think you hit it with poem. I'm not a language person either, but I can guess at two of those words: eternei and oblivisei being eternal and oblivion.
    5.jpg
    Creation story perhaps?
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    Stelam'iya eternei creod

Caelam'iya, tevotei vakad

Theram'iya, oblivisei teacid

Xarom'iya, aitator tenegrei

Eternei could be Eternity.
    Oblivisei could be Obivion.
    That's what it's reading like so far. Come on guys! Let's really impress the TUG creators! Show them what we can do!

@Sigil
    Good job!
    Creod looks alot like credo from latin as well. Credo means to believe in the spiritual sense. and aitator is similar to agitator which means
    1. One who agitates; one who stirs up or excites others; as, political reformers and agitators.
    2.An implement for shaking or mixing.
    I don't know how much of latin similarities we can trust but they seem close enough to be potential influences for the words.
    We might have the first line down;

Star's eternal belief

Star's eternal faith

The star's eternal belief/faith
    The word order might also not be the same in english as it does here. possibilities for the first line might also be "belief in the eternal stars" or similar combinations
    Agreed - I'll add some more ideas that follow along with different word order.
    And we still havn't figured out "iya" yet which from random speculation is feeling like a possessive pronoun to me maybe like "our" or something. I will return in a few hours I am sorry for leaving at such an exciting time for these translations.
    I'm plugging this into different translators to see if I get lucky.

One of them came up with Oblivi, Oblivium and translated it forgetfulness
    May be nothing

Therma might actually be thermal. Heat.

Also the name of a Greek city.

Caelam is a constellation in the Southern Hemisphere.

So possibly star or constellation

Tenebrae like tenegrei is latin for Shadows or Darkness.
    What about, instead of heat, anger?

3"our anger brings oblivion" ?

4"our ______ agitates the shadows" ?
    edited September 2013
    As I said, I'm not a language person. I'm also not a poetic person. BUT, I think I have a guess as to what this might be saying;

"believe in our stars"

"Our Heavens are eternal (but)"

"Anger brings oblivion (and)"

"our hate agitates the shadows"

It could be a sort of scripture? Like from a Bible? A TUG Bible? Or maybe it's just a warning? Part of a law system that's based in faith?
    Stelam might be Salaam Arabic for Peace
    or Selam meaning Which.
    making this a very different sentence.

Xarom
    might be Carom. 1. A collision followed by a rebound.
    a. A shot in billiards in which the cue ball successively strikes two other balls. Also called billiard.
    b. A similar shot in a related game, such as pool.

basically if 'iya is 'our'

Our "single strike" agitates the shadows.

maybe

I'm uncertain on the current definition of aitator
    Don't forget the syntax of language as well. Just like "por qué" is "For why."
    So for this, it would make sense they would put "our" in that spot. Yeah?
    I wonder if Merylisk can drop any hints ;)
    Oh this new info changes the peom quite a bit.

Hmmmm.

What about 'striking'?

our striking agitates the shadows?

@Pamcakes

We've looked at changing where the 'our' goes.
    Have any different ideas that I haven't written on the master post?
    I have nooo idea. lol. :o
    Ehehehe, why yes, Merylisk.
    *Wink wink*
    *nudge nudge*
    know-what-we-mean know-what-we-mean
    Allllll this cool smart stuff 291.gif
  • meryliskmerylisk REGISTERED Posts: 21 Developer
    You guys might want to double check a couple of your runes...

tumblr_mrooifNO971s62zc4o1_500.gif
    Help usssss D:
    Yeah about the decoding. Could we get a second person to work on that independently? I'm assuming they worked from the runes we decoded initially. Or did they? Are these the same runes or new ones?
  • meryliskmerylisk REGISTERED Posts: 21 Developer
    They're the same, but you should double check a couple of the letters. S'all I'm gonna say.

*slithers back into shadows*
    Can someone put up an alphabet of the stuff already decoded? And we can go off from there o_o