Need some tips

Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
edited January 2014 in Art
For Christmas I got a wacom graphics tablet but I haven't really gotten fully used to using it. I have a few questions that some of the artists on here might be able to answer :D

1. How do I get nice smooth edges when using brushes, at the moment I always end up with the circles being visible on the outlines.

2. How do I keep my lines neat, normally when I draw I have no trouble being able to go over the same line, but when using the tablet I seem to go of course a bit.

3. (Last one) What are the best methods and techniques for painting? I am kind of stuck on where to begin.

Thanks in advance for any help :D
Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!

Comments

• SkittlesSkittles REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 44 Developer
    Hey Youngy, congrats on getting a Wacom, I am looking forward to more arts being posted in this section.

on 1. what program are you using? for a more generic answer, I suggest looking at the brush's "spacing" (might just spend some time in the brush settings and familiarize yourself with all the options in there... just don't get overwhelmed X D)

2. nice clean lines take practice, as well as using your arm to make the line, and not your wrist (this is an aspect I still have trouble with). Or if you are looking for perfect lines with no thick or thins, check out vector lines, they'll probably server you well.

3. Painting preferences really are dependent on what an artist is comfortable in, I happen to be one that works by painting in light, others work by painting in shadows, and others just move their hands and create awesome ; ). On this one though, I will link you one of my favorite Artists that helped me progress in painting (especially since he seemed to paint very similar to how I already had learned to paint): Bobby Chiu http://youtu.be/6dib6oA3in0

you can search out sites like CG society and Conceptart.org to see what other peoples believe are useful artists to know and such.

Goodluck with your art, it will probably take a bit to get familiar with the Wacom, but hang in there, like most things, it just takes practicing and time.
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    Yeah, the thing I am having most trouble with is learning how to move from drawing with my wrist to having to move my arm with the tablet. On paper you don't have to hover to move your brush :D
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    I just found this out the other day and it's saving my life with nice smooth lines, STABILIZER. Painttool SAI (also free) has a great one, and I'm not sure if cs6 does or not. I hear you have to download something for it in order to get one? Not sure. But yeah, just google whatever program you use and see if it has a stabilizer or not.
    SAI's goes from 0 - 15 normal lines, and S1-S7 for slower movement. I typically have shakey hands when concentrated so I keep it on a 10 for sketching, s1-s3 while normally drawing and s6-s7 for longer lines like hair or legs, ect.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
    I have Gimp for doing this stuff. Ill look and see if that has a stabiliser :D

Bye!
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED Posts: 738
    Ohhh youngy, I would definitely recommend FireAlpaca or SAI over GIMP (both programs are also free).
    You will thank me. I linked SAI in my previous message.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    My process to get clean lines is generally to make a mess until I like the mess and then clean up. keep in mind you don't have to clean up unless that's what a client is paying for. Keep in mind that there are entire styles which are just a massive controlled mess. example: [url=http://jouey-.deviantart.com/art/slum-154212217?q=favby:Realityendshere/1859907&qo=254]http://jouey-.deviantart.com/art/slum-1 ... 907&qo=254[/url]
    http://poisondlo.deviantart.com/art/081 ... 4515&qo=55

There are methods and rules to painting and they are many. I'd recommend finding some books, videos or online tutorials that will cover basics, however the rest really depends on what you want to do. Your personal style may follow some rules and break others. Be a sponge. Study the artists you like and figure out how they do what they do. Keep and open mind. Explore.
  • CCLCCL REGISTERED Posts: 8
    yeah i would really suggest Paint tool sai, it's really easy to get used to, and works pretty well! And to get better at lines and stuff, you really just need to practice. a lot. drawing on my tablet was so weird first, and i still prefer sketching on paper, but ive had mine for a year now, and you'll just get better at smooth lines in time. :)
    20.jpg
    6.jpg
    Is there a free student version of Photoshop avaliable? With the autodesk stuff you can get a student license for free, I was wondering if Adobe done anything similar.

Bye!
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED Posts: 678 Developer
    from what I'm reading there is a trial https://creative.adobe.com/products/photoshop which you might try,
    and there is a student version which works as a $30 a month subscription.

Not really worth it in my opinion.
  • timidFantasisttimidFantasist REGISTERED Posts: 3
    I feel like I should add to this...SAI is actually not free if you're downloading the official version, which is here- http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/ and offers a free trial. After that you have to either pay for it or download it somewhere else.
    so uhh, yeah, just in case the op was uncomfortable with not paying for it, I felt like I should mention. Sorry about intruding on the thread. (I have SAI myself, and I /love/ it, except it hates transparent backgrounds, but other than that it is a really awesome program.)
    Photoshop is so expensive, I don't get why. I would have thought it would make more sense to do a free student version if you do it like the Autodesk stuff (need to verify you actually are in school), then the students would get used to the software and would be more likely to buy it later when they need it.

Bye!
    Ive been working on practicing drawing the human body, starting from stick figures to get the proportions and then filling it out. I realised I was doing it completely wrong by trying to draw the body straight away without any plan.
    On Monday I will get some pictures up (I left my drawings in my folder at school) and hopefully show my progress once I practice some more :D Then once I am good enough at drawing people I will try and work on my TUG character.

Bye!