God speculation

13»

Comments

• Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    I think it would be better if we had to be noticed by the Oblivisei first. Say you burn down a village with fire magic, and the Oblivisei for Fire and the Oblivisei of Death (if they are even implemented) notice you because of this. And if you wear a mask/something that has ties to an Oblivisei, they notice you faster. Then, when you gain more notice, the Oblivisei can give you missions to further your devotion to them
    5.jpg
  • Nuclear RussianNuclear Russian REGISTERED Posts: 424 Seed
    REVO: +1
    Yes, this is exactly what I mean. You don't just choose for a deity to support you, you have to prove to them that you are worthy of their attention.
    Knowledge is power, Guard it well - Blood Ravens battle cry

"Re-evolution: Sound like a blast"
    "Me: It will be"
    13.jpg
  • LiamLiam REGISTERED Posts: 69
    There should be an actual up/down voting thing for posts...
    6.jpg
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
    Liam wrote:
    There should be an actual up/down voting thing for posts...

And mess up the timeline so no one can understand what's being said? Why? Not because of internet points I hope.

I assume you mean with the addition of comment on individual comments, but what's the point? we're nowhere big enough of a community to need that kind of information breakdown.
  • PsiQssPsiQss REGISTERED Posts: 181
    Sigil wrote:
    And mess up the timeline so no one can understand what's being said? Why? Not because of internet points I hope.

I assume you mean with the addition of comment on individual comments, but what's the point? we're nowhere big enough of a community to need that kind of information breakdown.

I think he meant something like FB's "likes"
    “You might want to think twice before you try to use a man's conscience against him. It may turn out he doesn't have one.”
    PsiQss wrote:
    I think he meant something like FB's "likes"

You mean the way an unliked post won't show up in everyone's news feed? How would that work in this context? My understanding of that was it was just an evil money grab and everyone hates it.
    I was just showing support for Revo's idea...

13.jpg
  • PsiQssPsiQss REGISTERED Posts: 181
    That's actually how I look at "likes" - a way to show support :) Nothing to do with money
    “You might want to think twice before you try to use a man's conscience against him. It may turn out he doesn't have one.”
  • ChohsanChohsan REGISTERED Posts: 220
    edited February 2014
    I liked the old forum's approach. You could rate any post in a thread between 1-5 stars. As far as I was aware it was only aesthetic, but it was a passive, albeit anonymous, way to show whether or not you were for or against what someone wrote.

We're getting pretty off topic again, though...
    zeN5DFg.png
    How much power should deities have?
    What scope of influence should they have, and how powerful the artefacts/boons that they would grant?

13.jpg
    How much power should deities have?
    What scope of influence should they have, and how powerful the artefacts/boons that they would grant?

ok. In my opinion, any benefits from their worship should be nominally good but only a minor boost.

This could be offset by having a negative effect to this boost there by allowing a larger bonus because you have chosen to take on a weakness that could be exploited.

Alternatively The boon could be only temporary, but honestly I'm not a fan of the need to constantly return to a temple to get my power restored.

Another thread discussed how a follower of one of them who stayed in proximity of their temple might be more powerful and I like that idea a lot more. because it encourages them to stay and make the temple their home.

As far as artifacts I'd be interested in seeing a randomized system of minor enchanted tools and armor gifted from each god. little tokens of your faith that would be slightly better than normal and have a unique look to mark you as theirs.

These artifacts might be given through a dynamic quest system or simply for protecting the temple and doing deeds that your god approves of.

I'd like to see the 12 have an active interest in the world. From convincing a seed to do their bidding to punishing them when they disobey. I'd like to see them grant powers and send mortals through magical doorways into other realms.

Even more interesting might be if the 12 came down and waged war with an divine army of their own. I'd like to see the war scorched ground of a god battle.
  • Nova1824Nova1824 REGISTERED Posts: 103
    What if we are being misled by assuming the 12 characters in the pic are the things being worshiped.
    What if you options were instead:
    1. Eternei - The floating people with a dot on their forehead
    2. Devotei - The people with halo's
    3. Oblivisei -The 12 masked ones
    4. Zerahei - The seeds
    5. Tenebrei - the shadows

P.S. I think there is 11 masked figures (Oblivisei) and one Eternei in the picture. The Eternei is floating.

sandbox-mmo-games-tug-banner1-659x163.jpg
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    Like sigil was saying, have boons from them, but also have curses from the other gods/Oblivisei/twelve. Say you worship a single god, and that god grants you boons. But, the other gods are jealous of your total devotion to a single deity, and they curse you because of this. On the other side of the spectrum, if you please all the gods, you won't get cursed, but you also won't have as powerful of boons from them. It would fit nicely into TUG's ideas of power vs versatility
    5.jpg
  • AuraAura REGISTERED Posts: 15 Seed
    Just taking an amazingly wild stab:
    When I look at the picture, I notice two very prominent characters (who are even more prominent in the other gods image (http://archive.tugwiki.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/themefiles/s-7e987e474b714b01ba29b4336720c446-files/media8.jpg) ), are the 2nd one in the bottom row and the third one in the bottom row. Trying to link this to the TUG Runes:
    Arkneos wrote:

Stelam'iya eternei creod

Caelam'iya, devotei vakad

Theram'iya, oblivisei teacid

Xarom'iya, ahtator tenebrei

''Four out of The Twelve'';

stelam'iya eternei creod
    The god [Stela] created the Eternals:

caelam'iya, devotei vakad
    The god [Caela], who woke the Destined (Of the destined?)

theram'iya, oblivisei teacid
    The god [Thera], of the Forgotten spoke/taught
    The god [Thera], who taught the Forgotten

xarom'iya, ahtator tenebrei
    The god [Xaro], (ruler?) to/of the Dark ones

I am just taking a wild stab and connecting the two prominent characters with the gods in the runes...
    I think that the second one is Xaro, and the third is Caela/Stela.

However, the other two named gods (Caela/Stela and Thera) are a bit harder. Looking at the positioning of the gods in the image, the Caela/Stela god stands out the most, in front of the elephant goddess, Xaro, and the rabbit god(dess?). Due to the fact that the elephant goddess (if, indeed, they are gods / goddesses) was the first to be shown, I'm tempted to label her as Stela, but I think it is more likely she is Caela. As for the rabbit god(dess?), I think he/she is Thera.
    But that leaves the farthest god, also in the row, who isn't in the Rune Stone at all... who is he?

It's extremely unlikely that any of my somewhat-ramblings are true, but I'm just posting this out there anyways.
    I do Minecraft, TUG (of course), Portal (I and II), and occasionally TF2 and HAWKEN.
    I can't even decide on a single username, so I have multiple of 'em.
    YAY! Chocolate!
    Aura wrote:
    Just taking an amazingly wild stab:
    When I look at the picture, I notice two very prominent characters (who are even more prominent in the other gods image (http://archive.tugwiki.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/themefiles/s-7e987e474b714b01ba29b4336720c446-files/media8.jpg) ), are the 2nd one in the bottom row and the third one in the bottom row. Trying to link this to the TUG Runes:

I am just taking a wild stab and connecting the two prominent characters with the gods in the runes...
    I think that the second one is Xaro, and the third is Caela/Stela.

However, the other two named gods (Caela/Stela and Thera) are a bit harder. Looking at the positioning of the gods in the image, the Caela/Stela god stands out the most, in front of the elephant goddess, Xaro, and the rabbit god(dess?). Due to the fact that the elephant goddess (if, indeed, they are gods / goddesses) was the first to be shown, I'm tempted to label her as Stela, but I think it is more likely she is Caela. As for the rabbit god(dess?), I think he/she is Thera.
    But that leaves the farthest god, also in the row, who isn't in the Rune Stone at all... who is he?

It's extremely unlikely that any of my somewhat-ramblings are true, but I'm just posting this out there anyways.

You might be interested to know that we've discovered some new things about a lot of these words. You can find the collected work of the community here: http://tugwiki.com/wiki/Rune_Stones

key bits of this are:
    stela (Latin): inscribed stone or wooden slab
    caela- (Latin): carve, make raised work/relief; engrave, emboss [this engraving/ this relief]
    xarom'iya
    хромая (Russian): limping, Lamely
    хоромы (Russian): rich home, Mansion

Though we don't know what m'iya means yet I've ruled it out as a sign of gods name.

My own translation of this is rough but this is how it goes:

inscribed stone lasting philosophy
    engraved, promise text
    _______, forgotten coming
    limping, I stand at darkness.

Check over the words yourself and try to find the missing ones. We're still missing a lot of the tenses and punctuation. m'iya would be a wonderful key to unlock.
    My apologies Sigil. I don't remember when I did this, but when I speculated the russian text, and forgot that the letter "x" has different pronunciation in English and Russian. "x" in russian produces an "h" sound, meaning that unless the devs are writing this in light multiple languages, I am probably wrong.

13.jpg
    My apologies Sigil. I don't remember when I did this, but when I speculated the russian text, and forgot that the letter "x" has different pronunciation in English and Russian. "x" in russian produces an "h" sound, meaning that unless the devs are writing this in light multiple languages, I am probably wrong.

Thanks for the help on that. I never felt like that word quite fit but it was a step up from nothing. We'll keep looking.
    So. Hear me out. If the TUG runes are based ancient languages, maybe the 12 are based on Old mythology.

CHZyQVP.jpg

Ganesha. The elephant God.

Annubis. The Jackal. Lord of death.

Buddha. Meditation and enlightenment. Symbol of the lotus.

Huitzilopochtli. The Aztec war god.

Am I on to something here?
  • SagelyTeknos72SagelyTeknos72 REGISTERED Posts: 6
    That does sound very interesting. The owl might be Athena, a Greek goddess of Wisdom and Strategy. Though might I posit instead of Huitzilopoctli, perhaps, it might be Tezcatlipoca, the jaguar god?
    12.jpg

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
    B66j902.png?1
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    ooo, pretty.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • spacedotspacedot REGISTERED Posts: 416 Seed
    i think that was meant for the other thread
13»