God speculation

Comments

• ChohsanChohsan Posts: 220
    Ha, every detail counts. They never actually use the term "gods" or it's synonyms, but I still agree, "mysterious beings" bring this group to mind!

I wonder which advantages and disadvantages each entity will provide. I bet AP2 will give us a lot insight on our "gods" and what each of them represents!
    zeN5DFg.png
  • SigilSigil Posts: 678 Developer
    I noticed that but even if they don't specifically call them gods I think we can safely say they serve the role of gods.

Additionally: Worship, by definition, almost solely applies to a deity. When it's not, it is used to raise the subject to the level of divinity.

Call them something else but all the parallels are there.
    Gods are usually credited with creation, thus far there is no evidence or knowledge of these entities having created anything. Maybe they are creators, maybe they are ancient seedlings that advanced to a higher form of being, or maybe they are the "TUG Survival Games"' equivalent of sponsors.

Worship, more modernly, also refers to admiration or recognition (e.g.: muscle worship).

While I'm unaware of any parallels, I was only trying to imply that I myself am unsure of what they are and so far I have no definite reason to be sure. Personally, I like the idea of considering them gods...
    zeN5DFg.png
    I'm just working on the best assumption, until information changes. I suppose they could fill the role of arch angels but only if there is some higher god we don't know about yet.

Depending on the which religion you're comparing it to there is generally at least one higher god that created the universe and then lesser gods that created smaller things.

Alternatively if you compare this with japanese mythology there are greater and lesser gods for everything. The god of a specific river, or mountain range. This might be a better comparison as the 12 seem to associate with specific things and creatures. They don't technically have to create something so much as rule it, and if they are so unlucky, die if their domain is lost.
  • RinRin Posts: 668 Seed
    well they could be like daedra. not necessarily gods, but still beings of immense power which grant their followers a boon.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
    Daedra lean a bit more toward demonic beings though. They don't really care about mortals and use them as pawns in their power games.

That's not the impression I've got from the 12. At least not all of them. It's a good metaphor though. Daedra have many godlike qualities but are excluded from he ranks of gods. Admittedly they are primarily worshiped by the dunmer though. everyone else follows the 9.
  • RinRin Posts: 668 Seed
    these might in fact do the same thing as the daedra, using us to conquer an opposing temple, killing something poisoning one of their temples... i get a feeling one of them will undoubtedly act like sanguine.
    Warthunder, TUG and world of tanks fan/beta tester.
    member of The Lemurian empire and the Merchants guild
    Soon to be alchemist/apothecary in TUG
    20.jpg
  • LastAtlanteanLastAtlantean Posts: 116 Seed
    I think of them more like the gods in the Percy Jackson series or Kane Chronicles. i.e. we don't worship them, and they didn't create anything, but they are ancient beings of immense power.
    I haven't paid much attention to Percy Jackson but isn't that just the Greek Pantheon? They have their own creation myth too.
  • LastAtlanteanLastAtlantean Posts: 116 Seed
    True, but in the series, (book one I think) there is a discussion on God vs. gods. The Olympians are like primal forces, not necessarily "Gods" per say. They can die (read: fade). Idk, just the first thing I thought of. :D
  • Nuclear RussianNuclear Russian Posts: 424 Seed
    I can agree with the greek pantheon, up to the creation element. I would think that TUG's "mysterious beings" should be along the lines of powerful spirits that inhabit TUG's world, but not that they created it. More like Daedra, combined with Aedra, so that they can be both good and bad, depending on your relationship with them.
    Knowledge is power, Guard it well - Blood Ravens battle cry

"Re-evolution: Sound like a blast"
    "Me: It will be"
    13.jpg
  • LiamLiam Posts: 69
    skyrim_motivator_by_theshadowsnightmare-d4nppz7.jpg
    ITS A VERY DELICATE STATE OF MIND!
    6.jpg
  • WillWill Posts: 75 Seed
    This is interesting... I wonder if any of these gods might have something to do with the gods from the original Aether :)
    -Will

GvPTT.png

21.jpg
    Maybe. I wasn't aware there was more than one god in the first Aether mod; I thought there was only the Sun god. Do you have any resources I can read over?
    zeN5DFg.png
    edited February 2014
    What do you guys think about the Seeds that bear resemblances to the Oblivisei?
    tumblr_n0gd73Ehbh1sa0we5o1_r1_1280.png
    Notice the tattoo on his right arm and the form of his left arm.
    Edit: Updated the photo to one with higher resolution, note the tattoo on her lower back!
    206E2FC7A926CFCCEC619A27D1C222D587A6C37F
    Notice her footwear and mask.
    01_tug_debut_screenshot_04.jpg
    Notice the left arm and possibly the necklace.
    zeN5DFg.png
  • spacedotspacedot Posts: 416 Seed
    Chohsan wrote:
    What do you guys think about the Seeds that bear resemblances to the Oblivisei?
    02_tug_debut_screenshot_04.jpg
    Notice the tattoo on his right arm and the form of his left arm.
    206E2FC7A926CFCCEC619A27D1C222D587A6C37F
    Notice her footwear and mask.
    01_tug_debut_screenshot_04.jpg
    Notice the left arm and possibly the necklace.

Read Sigils post on the page before this. It explains what you are asking.
    There is a unique link near the top right of each post that allows you to link directly to that post in a thread. I checked all of his posts on the previous page (page 4) and I don't see anything that "explains what I'm asking". Perhaps you could link me to the post where he discusses everyone's opinion?

In all seriousness, I think you misunderstood my question. I was opening the images, their similarities (in appearances and equipment), up for discussion. I wanted us all to speculate and exchange theories, not "answer" why they look the way they do. For example, someone in the TUG group chat on Skype suggested the shoes might make the Seed in the second photo run faster, which makes some sense seeing as they're boots.
    zeN5DFg.png
    Chohsan wrote:
    There is a unique link near the top right of each post that allows you to link directly to that post in a thread. I checked all of his posts on the previous page (page 4) and I don't see anything that "explains what I'm asking". Perhaps you could link me to the post where he discusses everyone's opinion?

In all seriousness, I think you misunderstood my question. I was opening the images, their similarities (in appearances and equipment), up for discussion. I wanted us all to speculate and exchange theories, not "answer" why they look the way they do. For example, someone in the TUG group chat on Skype suggested the shoes might make the Seed in the second photo run faster, which makes some sense seeing as they're boots.

ZZzRfde.png
    Chohsan wrote:
    What do you guys think about the Seeds that bear resemblances to the Oblivisei

The highlight text explains. If you cant make that out it says "A unique worship system that will allow players to gain blessings and boons from mysterious beings before and during matches". We are going to look like them because of that system. Your question was answered. If you ment all of that to be one question half of it was at the bottom of spoilers with over sized images, not really easy to read that as one piece. If you wanted to mean what you just typed out then you should have just said that.
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution Posts: 1,105 Seed
    Not necessarily, spacedot. It means that we are worshiping the Oblivisei or the gods, whichever NK implements for this. It does not mean that we will adapt to be like them. Would it make sense for people to worship the sea and then grow gills? Maybe for the Zora, but not so much in TUG (in my opinion). The seeds might make themselves look like who they are worshiping to show their devotion, or they might put on masks or equipment reminiscent of their patron deity, but in most games, the deities are usually not so present as to act on the behalf of all who worship them.
    5.jpg
    I couldn't have predicted you would misinterpret my question to the degree that you did. However, what would be your reasoning for not answering my question after I elaborated on it, was I still too vague or unclear?

Moving to the photo, which reads, "A unique worship system that will allow players to gain blessings and boons from mysterious beings before and during matches." No where does it say, "your Seedling will look like the Oblivisei you choose to worship," as you seemingly inferred.

It does not, in fact, verify how worship, blessings or boons will be implemented or manifested. With none of that clearly stated, my next question is what actual evidence do you have to support this belief?
    zeN5DFg.png
    Chohsan wrote:
    I couldn't have predicted you would misinterpret my question to the degree that you did. However, what would be your reasoning for not answering my question after I elaborated on it, was I still too vague or unclear?

Your question was answered. The seeds have been blessed therefor look like the gods they received the blessings from.
    Chohsan wrote:
    Moving to the photo, which reads, "A unique worship system that will allow players to gain blessings and boons from mysterious beings before and during matches." No where does it say, "your Seedling will look like the Oblivisei you choose to worship," as you seemingly inferred.

That is exactly what it means. "Blessing and boons" could be idk, maybe a stronger arm which ends up looking like the gods arm.
    Chohsan wrote:
    It does not, in fact, verify how worship, blessings or boons will be implemented or manifested. With none of that clearly stated, my next question is what actual evidence do you have to support this belief?

Maybe its the pictures of seeds with additions or alterations which look directly like the gods .

Arguments derail threads and since you still will disagree or discredit anything i say here. Wait for the update and see what happens.
    Maybe for the Zora, but not so much in TUG (in my opinion).

Don't forget that TUG is actually drawing a lot from Legend of Zelda including how they originally wanted the art to look nearly exactly like Wind Waker. It's kind of a loose connection but it is there.
    I regret having bothered, spacedot. I assumed you had more of a rational mind; you're not very competent.
    zeN5DFg.png
    Spacedot and Chohsan:

My 2 cents, is that it could work either way. Either you gain boons through worship and look more and more like the deit(ies) you worship, or by applying tattoos and enchanting body parts (guy with rock left arm) would you get boons from deit(ies).
    Boons can be both physically noticable, or be something hidden (more muscles on a seed, or just stronger muscles for the same size) (stronger fire magic that is only noticable when casting, or visable red crystal veins in left arm).

Personally, I would have both type of blessings/boons. Certain things, like super-strength, don't have to be visible (deity grants denser and more efficient muscles). Physically noticable boons would be weird, since they would morph the seed forever, or until injury/surgery. A rock arm would protect against light sharp objects, but be worse off against sledgehammers.

Also, I would hope that physical boons granted by the deities would not make you look like the deity. If I think back to W40k, the Chaos Gods don't per-se grant boons that make their followers look like them (except nurgle, but that's a special case); They grant boons that are within the god's own sphere of influence, and they are rarely (except nurgle) physical changes. Boons can also be special weapons and artefacts of rare properties/power, granted by deities for obedient service. The possibilites are numerous, so all the argument was, was two alternating interpretations of the same sentence. Here I have provided even a 3rd (items given by deities). What do you think?

13.jpg
    I'm curious what it is I said that allowed you and spacedot to perceive my opinion on the interpretation of that sentence. I intentionally avoided giving one, in place of hearing others'.

That aside, I like to remain open to the various possibilities available when speculating; I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer. After all, it could be any, all, or none of the great ideas provided so far (i.e.: character designs made to emulate or pay tribute, physical transformations, and/or bestowed special artifacts). Other possibilities could include that these are the result of a skill/ability, channeling an Oblivisei, equipping special gear, or making deals with demons.

What do you guys think?
    zeN5DFg.png
    I perceived your opinion as being the polar opposite of spacedot's, given the direct reaction of spacedot. Although, having re-read the thread, you do not actually provide an opinion in this matter. What do you think about this yourself, chohsan, in what form would the Oblivisei grant boons to seeds?

I would say that there are 3 ways to do so: 1) grant boons only noticable upon activation (stronger fire magic, higher jump height, etc), 2) physical changes (rock arms, wings, bloated pestilence ridden body (it's actually a nurgle blessing), etc) or 3) physical items/companions granted by the Oblivisei (unique fire swords, armour that arcs lightning to those who attack it, a fighting golem, etc).

13.jpg
    In regards to blessings and boons, I don't really know. I'm going cop out and say status buffs because those are probably the simplest to implement this early on. There isn't very much for me to go on, though.

Lately, I wonder if the relationship of Oblivisei to Zerahei (Seedlings) is based on that of a deity to a human. If so I can't imagine the scale of the relationship of Zerahei to Eternei, but it's fascinating! (Assuming that Eternei are conceivably entities and that they are "superior" to Oblivisei.)

Also, you can review this post if you're curious where my terminology and rankings are coming from.
    zeN5DFg.png
    Not to spark a flame war, but I wouldn't liken the relationship of a zerahei to a Eterneir/Oblivisei, to one of a human and any current forms of deities. In video games and stories, gods and spirits could easily communicate and grant boons to their followers. In real life, that has yet to be determined beyond anecdotal evidence. I would like the gods to behave like the Daedra to the people of Tamriel, the house of Olympus to Camp-Halfblood, or any other fictional setting, rather than one of a human, to any perceived deity.

Alternative interpretation: I wouldn't want to adorn a shrine to worship a deity ingame, I would rather use a skill set favourable to a particular Oblivisei, and have Oblivisei offer me boons and rewards, should I rise up and complete the challenges they set (like the daedra from Skyrim).

13.jpg
    You'd probably have to say something more ignorant, obvious, or oblivious than that to spark a flame war. I was more curious if their relationship was based on a human to deity relationship, not so much how it realistically compared to one. Need it be said, I'm sure most of us would agree that video games are different from real life. Beyond that, I'm not very familiar with Skyrim so I can't really comment.
    Alternative interpretation: I wouldn't want to adorn a shrine to worship a deity ingame, I would rather use a skill set favourable to a particular Oblivisei, and have Oblivisei offer me boons and rewards, should I rise up and complete the challenges they set (like the daedra from Skyrim).
    I'm not sure what you mean. Do you think we may have to actively celebrate an Oblivisei to receive their blessing/boons?
    zeN5DFg.png
    Yeah, not just build temples and sit around inside in a crouched position, changing the flowers. Have the shrines be used solely for communication with deities (revieving quests and rewards), but actually do things to qualify as a champion for a deity. For example, Khorne, the god of blood and war, granted daemanhood to a champion, after he destroyed over 1000 worlds (with his army, of course, in the W40k). TUG should have similar active celebration of deities for receiving blessings/boons, albeit not as violent or tedious in scale as my example.

Although, part of worship would also be the actual creation and visiting of shrines, but what I am stressing is that that sort of passive worship should be accompanied by active celebration of a deity.

13.jpg