0.4.2646 Alpha Patch Notes

Auti0Auti0 Posts: 278REGISTERED
edited January 2014 in News & Updates
A new game type Survival Mode has been added. Players must scavenge for limited resources in a constrained space. Craft tools and weapons to defeat other players. The last man standing wins!

Another major change was the introduction of a dedicated server! Just launch the dedicatedserver.exe and have you and your friends connect!

Art Changes
  • Changed some terrain generation and scale
  • Updated terrain textures for forest, desert, and more!

Updated Gourd Plant Texture

Updated Gourd Torch model and texture

Updated Crude Sword texture

Updated Knapped Stone texture

Updated trees and leaves

Updated fruit trees

Updated Normal maps for aspen, acacia, maple, and winter maple trees

Updated tool and weapon art

Updated Deadwood item texture

Adjusted some existing animations

Various particle FX fixes

New Assets Added:
  • Added normal maps to cacti and various environment assets.

Added Thorny Vines item

Added Chopped Branch resource

Added Flint Head resource

Added Crude Spear weapon

Added Crude Club weapon

Added Crude Sword weapon

Added animation: Hurt

Added animation: Death

Added animation: Vertical Swing

Added animation: Horizontal Swing

Engine/Code Changes
  • Several performance optimizations have been added

Object culling based on distance

RAM usage has been reduced

Fixed numerous memory leaks

Some new graphics options have been added

Particle system improvements

Reworked some terrain generation logic

Static model culling for shadow maps

Added thickness to terrain to prevent most cases of items going through

Fixed black terrain polys

Improved crafting detection

Fixed input box

The default FOV has been increased to 60

Fixed some character physics bugs

Animation Blend Node support

Added a lobby for multiplayer games

Fixed and stabilized many Multiplayer Issues

Added basic combat

Character Death

Added delays to swinging

Players now collide with each other

Known Issues
  • The Win32 build does not work :( We are currently trying to understand why this all of sudden is happening but when we fix it we will release an updated exe just for win32.

Alt-tabbing out of the game can cause some controls to stop functioning. This can be resolved by entering and exiting chat by hitting the Enter key.

Loading or creating a Creative Mode world while in a Survival Mode map can crash the client.

When the inventory screen is open, if you select an item and then click anywhere other than the hand or inventory slots, the item will be destroyed.

A high amount of particle effects in the same area can cause a severe drop in performance.

In multiplayer games, there are some synch and crash issues.

In multiplayer games, some sounds are audible to all players.

Comments

• PsiQssPsiQss Posts: 181REGISTERED
    Awesome!

Too bad I don't have alpha access but well, it's still exciting to see Survival mode being added :)
    “You might want to think twice before you try to use a man's conscience against him. It may turn out he doesn't have one.”
  • PamcakesPamcakes Posts: 738REGISTERED, Moderator Seed
    Oh this is so exciting! Thank you Auti0 :3
    wjfjVqJ.png
    I do Seed Avatars for only a 10$ commission fee. PM me for details!
    FYTUGTwitter
  • CJCutrone9CJCutrone9 Posts: 5REGISTERED
    I. Love. You. Guys. :D

Question: Where is the dedicatedserver.exe? Second, how to I determine if it is a survival world?
  • jon14ukjon14uk Posts: 763REGISTERED Seed
    yes combat! :)
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • cambocambo Posts: 148REGISTERED, Developers Developer
    The dedicated server file should be here. As of now, the gameconfig.txt is not working for me but the server should still be up. I'll talk to Auti0 to see how we can set it up to be survival mode.

"C:ProgramDataNerd KingdomTUGAssets"

Cheers!
    If you are getting an error about dedicated_server.txt etc.. here is the quick fix.

Go to "C:ProgramDataNerd KingdomTUG" and copy the folder "Config" and put it in "C:ProgramDataNerd KingdomTUGAssets"

- Cambo
  • jon14ukjon14uk Posts: 763REGISTERED Seed
    how many people can be on a server?
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
  • Auti0Auti0 Posts: 278REGISTERED
    We have not yet determined a limit.
    I looked in that area and don't see a dedicated server.exe. I don't see any exe as a matter of fact. XD
    Did you login and update from the launcher?
    Hmm. I recommend an uninstall and redownload the latest launcher we have up on the NK website.
    Okay, well now it is there, I ran it, and it sys lots of files are missing, (Namely the gameconfig.txt (It said it was missing like 20 times, and each time said it was okay. XD) but also the dedicated_server.txt) I restarted it and it still didn't generate these things. Is this a WIP thing? Or should it have generated them and I found a bug? :D

Another question, where do I find the IP/port for this thing? Is it my computer's IP/Port? Or should this be in the missing files?
    Here's a temp fix for that issue you are having. We'll have that fixed soon.

If you are getting an error about dedicated_server.txt etc.. here is the quick fix.

Go to "C:ProgramDataNerd KingdomTUG" and copy the folder "Config" and put it in "C:ProgramDataNerd KingdomTUGAssets"
  • ProBeingNoobProBeingNoob Posts: 189REGISTERED
    Can you open a commuinty server?
    Seriusly, I aint got friends who bought this game.... :|||COL|||41d1322b03cba81416a5377df7c9090c
    2.jpg
    BMOhn.gif9gF3P.gif
    Mind clicking those eggs?
  • InvisaMageInvisaMage Posts: 14REGISTERED Seed
    Hello fellow Tugers. Every since the update my TUG keeps crashing. I downloaded the update, started the game, and I try to load or create a world and then windows says it stops responding and makes me close out of the program. I even tried uninstalling the game and downloading the launcher from the website to install it. No luck either. Thanks for your time.

Computer Specs (Working on getting a new graphics card.)
    Spoiler:
    It is possible that you are running out of memory. Try changing the viewdistance and objectdistance down to Tiny in the options menu before trying to create a new world.
  • InvisaMageInvisaMage Posts: 14REGISTERED Seed
    Thanks, I already put the settings down. For some reason it's working now. Thanks anyway though.
    Can you open a commuinty server?
    Seriusly, I aint got friends who bought this game.... :

We are planning to once we work out some network bugs. I feel your loneliness, forever alone!
  • ErwintjuhErwintjuh Posts: 25REGISTERED, Moderator
    somehow I only find base items (sticks, vines, pointy vines, bamboo sticks) but no stones or finishing items. bug or am I missing something?
  • TeknonickTeknonick Posts: 166REGISTERED Seed
    To the comment above.... Either a: You're REALLY REALLY unlucky. b: You didn't try hard enough. c: You don't find rocks objects... break some stones or small (SMALL!!!) boulders to get them! or d: You were SERIOUSLY unlucky and the world didn't spawn any of those!!!

BTW: Survival is kind of like the Hunger Games in it's current state. Once you quit (Or everyone else dies) the round ends, and the world is reset. That means keeping items or houses is impossible in Survival Mode at the current stage.
    The mix between the Adventurer and the Trapper yields the Tracker. Living in humble homes to help those in need. Always looking for the right coin, yet never theft is in their eyes.
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
  • YubaTimYubaTim Posts: 5REGISTERED
    posted a video of the crafting on youtube. wasnt able to find anything explaining the basics last night so i took the initiative.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFpshb03mMI
  • PamcakesPamcakes Posts: 738REGISTERED, Moderator Seed
    YubaTim, good video.
    wjfjVqJ.png
    I do Seed Avatars for only a 10$ commission fee. PM me for details!
    FYTUGTwitter
  • AndersEEAndersEE Posts: 54REGISTERED
    Why did I leave my pc at my apartment?!!? :(
  • SinnonSinnon Posts: 378REGISTERED Seed
    Pamcakes wrote:
    YubaTim, good video.

I see a little Fionna there?, amazing! :D
    Sintiacutetulo-1-1.png
    Enlist your faction in Seekers Order, sub-groups or alliances are not problem with the enlisting, since we are a not a clan, just a UN sistem of organization.
  • skraaglenaxskraaglenax Posts: 19REGISTERED
    Will be awesome when survival mode works on dedicated server. Any plans to introduce other survival features like hunger, thirst, hypothermia, etc.?
    Survival mode does work on a dedicated server. In the config directory there is a file called dedicated_server.txt. In there is a field called "gamemode." Change that from 0 to 1 and your server will survival now. You will need to restart the server for this to work.

As for the other features, this is just a glimpse of what survival mode will be like. There is much more to come!
    Teknonick wrote:
    To the comment above.... Either a: You're REALLY REALLY unlucky. b: You didn't try hard enough. c: You don't find rocks objects... break some stones or small (SMALL!!!) boulders to get them! or d: You were SERIOUSLY unlucky and the world didn't spawn any of those!!!

BTW: Survival is kind of like the Hunger Games in it's current state. Once you quit (Or everyone else dies) the round ends, and the world is reset. That means keeping items or houses is impossible in Survival Mode at the current stage.

After watching the video of YubaTim I am even more confused. He can pick up the purple fruits from the vineplants and break small rocks. But I really can't. They are in my world but cant interact with them....
    after forcing a reinstall via the launcher it works much better. finally :D
  • Ashen44Ashen44 Posts: 226REGISTERED Seed
    man. you guys are sooooo lucky! still need a new computer that can run DirectX11!
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it half full. The engineer sees the glass as twice as big as it needs to be.
  • Youngy798Youngy798 Posts: 891REGISTERED Seed
    I am still waiting for the Beta :D Also I need to buy more ram because I am only running 3gb
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!