The poll tool is here for a reason

mosesoperandimosesoperandi REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 22 Developer
edited January 2014 in Science!
Please use it to develop surveys on diverse research topics and file them here in "SCIENCE!"

See the example above.

What's your favorite video game camera/PoV? 22 votes

first
50% 11 votes
side
0% 0 votes
iso
0% 0 votes
third
22% 5 votes
"god"
0% 0 votes
cinematic
4% 1 vote
abstract ("I prefer pixels to people")
0% 0 votes
cat
18% 4 votes
other (reply in thread)
4% 1 vote

Comments

• Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    That's above. But as for the poll itself, it really depends on the game that I'm playing. If it's more of a strategy game, I would like either third or 'god' view so that I can watch my back in case of ambush. If I want to immerse myself into the game, first person. But as for my all time favorite, it has to be cat.
    5.jpg
  • SmartyOf95SmartyOf95 REGISTERED Posts: 394
    I honestly have no idea what Cat POV refers to...
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    SmartyOf95 wrote:
    I honestly have no idea what Cat POV refers to...
    Means you're viewing your adventures and the character you control from a cat that is arround here.
  • SmartyOf95SmartyOf95 REGISTERED Posts: 394
    As long as it doesn't bite or scratch...
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
  • TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    I agree with ReVo in that it depends on the style/genre of game I'm playing.
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    It does depend on the game and style, but I do favor 3rd person. Even in combat situations. But I also am not a big complainer and I completely understand the organic feel they are going for which the 1st person, transition over to craft-able 3rd person cam.
    You do what you do Moses, get that! *snaps fingers in z*
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    I didn't know you were a saucy black woman Pam
    5.jpg
  • mosesoperandimosesoperandi REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 22 Developer
    Thanks for the replies thus far all.

Cat PoV is in fact the humorous option in this survey (who says you can't have a little fun in the research process!). That said, I do want to see a great game that attempts to provide a cat perspective on the world.

Of course the most optimal camera style/PoV varies based on the style of game, but the intent of this survey is to prompt you to think about which kind of experience you trend towards aesthetically when you think about games in general...that and of course to have a little fun here in the forums!
  • PamcakesPamcakes REGISTERED, Moderator Posts: 738 Seed
    Hmmm. Do you think maybe cat perspective would work on wisps? As in when we die and don't go into our bodies right away (waiting for the best moment), would we be seeing through them during that time? Or would it just be viewed from 3rd view? I dunno, I'd like to see how NK would go about it if you guys wanted to try it out.
    That's a really cool shirt you have on.
  • mcmanusaurmcmanusaur REGISTERED Posts: 141
    Please use it to develop surveys on diverse research topics and file them here in "SCIENCE!"
    If I'm not mistaken, can't you only ask one question per thread with the poll tool? That seemed to be the case the last time I used it, and it limits its potential as a survey tool, so I wonder if that can be fixed.
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
    You forgot Fisheye. I remember playing one racing game where that was a cheat. Made everything impossible. AND FUN!
  • mosesoperandimosesoperandi REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 22 Developer
    @mcmanusaur, indeed you are correct. I didn't actually mean here in this thread, but here in the Science board.

@Sigil, noted I'll add it although this particular poll was intended more for a humorous example than a real research instrument :D
  • FreemanFreeman REGISTERED Posts: 141
    My most favored POV is Third Person View. And I'm extremely picky about how its done too. If a game doesn't have a nice third person camera it can really throw off the whole experience for me.

For example, I adored how the camera worked in Fable 1, but in the sequels, I was always annoyed by how pulled back it was. That's not to say I don't care for games with pulled back cameras. God of War and the Devil May Cry games have always done that well. I love how they pull in for the money shot when you finish up a battle in DMC or are doing something particularly brutal in God of War.

Granted, even different games favor different types of third person view. But I generally like to see my character being awesome.

My least favorite is probably Isometric. Again, there are some games that I like in that style though. Like Gauntlet Dark Legacy.