Changing the game mode

PsiQssPsiQss Posts: 181
edited January 2015 in Alpha Forum
Hello!

I'm planning on buying the game very soon. Even though Survival mode that I'm most interested in, is said to come out next year, I'd like to start a world already and keep it throughout the whole development process. If I create a world while still in the alpha, will it be possible to change (even if by modifying the save files) the game mode later on when Survival mode comes out?
“You might want to think twice before you try to use a man's conscience against him. It may turn out he doesn't have one.”

Comments

• BandersnatchBandersnatch Posts: 101 Seed
    Unfortunately, if they change world generation ever, it will mess up the current worlds.

This is due to how TUG saves worlds, it doesn't save worlds directly, instead it saves it as a number which is then used to seed the generation of the world, which will end up identical to your old one with all of it's changes and such.

The big downside of this is that, until (or unless) they implement all of the past generators each patch and make it so that each save file uses it's respective generator version, you can't transfer save files between versions.

This will almost definitely change as we get closer to beta (or maybe to launch) but right now. If you make a world, it likely won't be compatible with the next version.

So you might wanna wait.

That said, if you buy the beta or launch version of the game before it hits those points it will probably be cheaper.
  • PsiQssPsiQss Posts: 181
    That said, if you buy the beta or launch version of the game before it hits those points it will probably be cheaper.

No, I'm gonna buy the game as soon as possible anyway ;) It's just that I have minecraft for over two years now, and I regret that I don't have 1 world since the beginning, a world that I would have played through all those snapshots and versions. I was hoping that would be possible within this game. And even if it's not, that doesn't mean I won't buy it.

But.. hmm, by messing up the world, did you mean something like minecraft's chunk errors where the new generation occurs? Or completely messing up the saves? If it's just the the transition between old and new areas that gets messed up, I think I could just deal with it.

I really hope they'll make it possible to have one world save and just keep playing it forever, with all new updates and stuff. If not from the beginning, then at least from some point of the beta. And that they'll clearly state that from this and this moment forth we will be able to keep playing the same world for ever. Otherwise it would be really discouraging to know that at some point you will have to abandon your character, all your builds, creations, all the progress you've made to be able to keep getting new features.
    “You might want to think twice before you try to use a man's conscience against him. It may turn out he doesn't have one.”
  • The saves in this game I assume will be similar to a Minecraft world, the world is procedural based on the seed. What has already been generated will probably remain so, unless they make changes to the items list itself and reuse or change an existing item's storage number to another. If that happens the game will have problems loading the world. In other words, someone makes a chair and places it, later down the line an update changes the "name" for that chair to a table. If the placement is close enough so the table fills the same area as the chair then you may end up with tables all over the place where there were chairs, this would be the lightest of side effects. It could also lead to a corrupt world if the changes were to ores or other items that are generated procedurally.
  • Auti0Auti0 Posts: 277
    As it stands, when we make adjustments to the generation previous save files are not usable. As this is an alpha, do not expect to be able to keep your world(s) through out the development process.
  • PsiQssPsiQss Posts: 181
    Ok, thank you for making it clear :) It's much better to know it now than find it out myself later!
    Well, can't wait to buy the alpha and test the game. I hope you can fix the security issues soon. Good luck and thanks for all the hard work!
  • SinnonSinnon Posts: 383 Seed
    I actually hope there's no creative mode.
    Sintiacutetulo-1-1.png
    Enlist your faction in Seekers Order, sub-groups or alliances are not problem with the enlisting, since we are a not a clan, just a UN sistem of organization.
  • This is due to how TUG saves worlds, it doesn't save worlds directly, instead it saves it as a number which is then used to seed the generation of the world, which will end up identical to your old one with all of it's changes and such...?? :lol:
    Our excellent online a+ test training programs will lead you to success in the security+ certification We also offer latest passguide and a+ exam with 100% success guarantee. Our www.principiacollege.edu is rare in IT world University of New Haven and best of luck.