TUG's new focus

ElfElf REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
The newest update says:
Can you give an overview of the new TUG in a couple of short paragraphs, as if to new potential customers? What’s the “elevator pitch” description of the game?
  • The game takes place in procedurally generated worlds filled with floating islands that are enriched with resources, populated with diverse cultures and held together by a deeply rooted narrative.
  • Players slowly discover the beginnings of their universe through interactions and relationships developed within the game as well as uncovering the history of their own purpose for being.
  • Through a series of relationships and a string of choices our players determine their friends, their enemies and their eventual place with their creators.
That's an amazingly passive description. The concept of "survival" isn't there. Neither is "build communities." Nope; players are supposed to learn things - "discover" how the universe began, "uncover" their history, "determine" their friends and enemies. It sounds like players are supposed to absorb the game that's been handed to them, maybe get some social activity, but not create anything, not change the world itself.

I am interested by the "diverse cultures" and "deeply rooted narrative" part, since Tug v1 had none of that. But the rest looks like "we have a story to tell and we're telling it through very complex biome arrangement and NPC placement" instead of "here's a world for you to survive, build in, and create communities."

The update also confirms that voxel building will only be available during creative mode, and that survival mode building will be done with prefab elements. I understand the server load issues for endless building in multiplayer settings; I am worried that the combination of the limited building and the new basic focus of "you are here to figure out what's going on" rather than "you are here to build the world you want to live in" means sharp limitations on building styles and abilities.

It does sound like a setting more suited to tablet/mobile platforms, though. And those players won't, for the most part, know anything about the several- year history of dissatisfied existing players.

Comments

• RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 509 Seed
    In this instance @Elf I'm disappointed that you've still focused solely on things that don't feel so good with you. Frankly, it's an answer to a question who's answer has been in development/growing for a long time. In-completeness or lack of the terms you wish to see... to me feels like an absurd thing to point towards.

I like having you as part of the community but please remember the weight that comes with consistently pointing out the wrongs. I'm requesting some balance from you. In the grand scheme of things, the big thing here that you and I know is more important is that NK is now beginning to build communication with the community. Might be a nice idea to thank them for that.

As far as building communities is concerned, at some point it's the community that builds itself. Not some in-grained coding, plot or push from the dev team.

Oh and as far as creating a setting for tablet/mobile platforms where none of the new customer base knows about dissatisfied existing players - NK building communication up with us now wouldn't make sense if that was their end goal. Not to mention the hardware limitations of mobile/tablets. From someone who got to test a small snapshot of TUGv2 earlier this year - FOR GOODNESS SAKE, tug is being developed for PC. I'm going to start repeating that for as long as it takes to sink in.
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • ElfElf REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    please remember the weight that comes with consistently pointing out the wrongs. I'm requesting some balance from you.

I had a long reply all written - nearly 500 words - and then I realized: you're right. Absolutely nobody wants to hear me gripe about TUG development.

I'm done. Have turned off notifications from the Discord and unfollowed the tumblr; I'll try to ignore the frustrating updates and wait for version 2 beta. If I'm lucky, it'll be playable on whatever computer I have then; if I'm even luckier, it'll still have features I enjoy.
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 509 Seed
    Thank you @Elf . Well, I'll still try to listen to your gripe. I was just a bit tired of it on this day.
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • morty19067morty19067 REGISTERED Posts: 4 Podling
    There's a discord?
  • PixelDragon13PixelDragon13 REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 114 Seed