DATA STUFF - EP. 2: SPATIAL ANALYSIS

CyrilCyril REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 3 Developer

Emily Grimes, Masters student in Data Science and Analytics at the University of Oklahoma, conducted for her practicum a spatial analysis on data from the previous version of TUG (same dataset as studied here: http://forum.nerdkingdom.com/discussion/2935/data-stuff-ep-1-first-behavioral-analysis).

"A majority of spatial analyses of game player data is done for the purposes of making visualizations, such as maps or trajectory analyses. [...] Trajectory analysis involves laying the path of a player into the context of the (typically) 3D environment of a game so that designers and researchers can trace that path through the game space. There are times when being able to visualize barriers to game flow is helpful in identifying sources of player frustration that can be detrimental to player engagement." - Emily Grimes.

You can find a summary of this fundamental spatial analysis on her website: http://ekg.space/TUG_Spatial-Analysis.html. Results indicate that deeper analyses may offer invaluable information for the designers as stated above, or for predictive purposes as well (e.g. how likely a process will occur in a specific place).

Comments

• ZiafZiaf REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    Ooooooo, science. Very cool stuff.
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    Thanks for posting! This is really cool.

A lot of the similarity in maps makes sense, like gardening and crafting happening mostly around where people had built; but I found the similarity between the building map and the dying map to be interesting. I would have thought dying would be more common out exploring. Although I suppose we did have that wild cat spawning area close to the spawn point that probably killed people pretty frequently.
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 505 Seed
    no, I'd say it was people starving to death while being afk in-game.
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    Oh, good point. Or starving to death because you got so wrapped up in building/mining you forgot to eat and couldn't make it to food in time >.>

<.<