Small communitty news compilation

RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 509 Seed
In order to not get too off topic within this post. I've decided start a new post to continue any discussion surrounding the making of "...a post about all the small things people may have missed over the last year."

Initial google doc - anyone can use this link to help out with gathering sources.
Programmer, designer, artist.

Comments

• WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Good, good. For now, for the TUG v2 part, they have something to show, namely, the art stuff in here: http://forum.nerdkingdom.com/discussion/2930/some-art-stuffs-ken-dont-kill-me#latest

Hope we get more help with this from other people.
  • ElfElf REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    I've added links & dates to the vlogs, and a doc of the transcripts from the closed caption text. That part is very raw - no sentence breaks; lots of mis-converted words; I stripped out the time stamp markers (still have the originals if anyone cares for those).
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 509 Seed
    Awesome. Yea, this early stage will be messy. We'll dive into writing/structure later on. Gathering up material is step #1
    Moving into writing up a draft. This is one heck of trip down memory lane. Reading my old steam posts... I swear I'm not that arrogant in real life.
    With the time that happened since I got started with this TUG community I swear I went thru my whole second half of my Teenager Transformations. I am more mature now, I promise.

Haffat mazz'el (good luck) and all of that with the draft anyway.
    I'd like to track down:
    • Date TUG became available as an EA game in Steam
    • Date the price went from $10 to $20
    • Date TUG was removed from sale at Steam
    Oh yea, also I saw someone put Yogventures on the doc. Lots to get into.

Just to mention this, I'm getting into writing a draft knowing full well that it should not be released as is. I was thinking of it as a means for people to more easily shape the narrative.
    That's what I figured. Put all the dates in one place, with all the quotes we think are interesting or useful, and sort out from there what's worth putting in a doc for newcomers or people who dropped out a long time ago and are looking at TUG again.

I'm debating if it's worth putting in cancelled plans, like curse forge, that people might've heard rumours about.
    edited September 2016
    Ok. I got 3 pages of something. Please help. I raced to the end. I'm missing tons.

EDIT: Main working draft
    I've done some editing, fixed phrasing, offset the quotes. Should track down links for the quotes; I may have time to do that this week but can't promise it.
    I'll track down my quotes and link.
  • CustosAeternamCustosAeternam REGISTERED Posts: 77 Seed
    Nice to see the forums marginally active again. Hopefully this spark can turn back into a roaring fire.
    -Previously known as "Spirit_Guardian"
    "I will guard the seedlings with my life" -Custos Aeternam
    12.jpg
    4.jpg
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    I am sorry I don'tcurrently have the time to help.. You are all awesome for working on this, thank you. <3
    Spent another couple of hours on it today. Feeling like it's getting there. @Elf , @Wingidon , whomever else, whatca think?
    Not bad.
    The line, "featuring yours truly, Deadlock," strongly implies that Deadlock is writing the article. "Featuring our very own Deadlock" or similar would work instead.
    And as a side note: it strikes me as wrong to call what's coming in December as "V2," since we never got a complete V1, and this isn't 2.0 but a brand-new alpha version. (I'm not sure how to label that, but just calling it "2" implies that it's post-alpha stage.)
    edited September 2016
    @Rawr - looks good; I threw in a condensed timeline from the other doc. It might even look better with that at the beginning, with the TL;DR note of "busy year; version 2 to be released in December; details below," for those who just want to know what's going on without reading a few pages of drama details. (I like drama details, but many would probably just like a quick update.)
    edited September 2016
    "OpenGL TUG"?
    "Now, let’s talk about Deadlock. NK’s first ban." cut it down.
    Added extra information to timeline.

I added in an updates section at the end and put a comment in it saying that if you'd like to add in details/information, head over here to join in.

Ready?
    @Rawr Looks okay to me, but my judgment is kinda shot right now. We had a fuse blow yesterday and half the outlets in the house don't work; I'm at a coffee shop so I can get my day-job work done.
    Have posted here. If we get more ok's on this we should link to it from other places (steam, reddit, etc...)
  • AmonostAmonost REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    Looks very sound and impartial. Good Job.
    6.jpg
  • mcjomarmcjomar REGISTERED Posts: 2 Podling
    So, what's the status of the switch from 1.0 to 2.0?
    I'm an old KS backer.
    Was super excited originally to play a not-minecraft minecraft beater that had more world building, story, and seed-growing-rpg type stuff, plus all the building/crafting/etc. I like the idea of character development, exploration, ancient stuff to explore in dungeons/old civilisations, crafting new and wierd technologies, maybe building mini cultures, etc.
    Are we still headed that way?

I'm not sure what the relevant discussion points would be - where would KS backers fit in in an F2P for example?
    What would F2P entail - what would the limits be of free vs paid? Would it be subscription? Or something else?
    Why not Buy2Play like the Secret World (great game, you should take a look, at least in terms of story/world building)?
    Would microtransactions include things like... what, outfits? pets? gear? levels? dungeons? world chunks?
    In secret world, it's outfit stuff, or story chunks outside of the core, sort of like SWToR I guess with expansions? And for TSW if you just bought the core game, that's 95% of the game right there. Would TUG work that way if you absolutely have to go that route? Or will it be more Wildstar? Unless you can get a marketing boost with a complete game, and try to go back to the minecraft approach?

I guess it comes down to what kind of game/world/community you want to build?

RE:Nodes - Minecraft style is better than WoW based on the fact with nodes you know what you're getting and where, and it takes the excitement of exploration away from it. Hence with minecraft one (of a number) reason why it worked - you didn't know for sure where your next batch of resource X was coming from, or how much you'd get. It's the basic skinner box approach if you want to get cynical, in that you don't know what you'll get so it's more fun to take a chance to find out, although in minecraft there's always more of resource X whereas in the skinner box, you could just as easily get lots as nothing.
    mcjomar said:

So, what's the status of the switch from 1.0 to 2.0

In progress.
  • mcjomarmcjomar REGISTERED Posts: 2 Podling
    Rawr said:

mcjomar said:

So, what's the status of the switch from 1.0 to 2.0

In progress.
    Is there any kind of public eta, or is it still unknown?
    Cheers!
    @mcjomar the only info we have is the original estimate of "late December" 2016.