How far will the complexity go?

WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
edited July 2016 in Q & A
So, musing on ideas for TUG's combat system, I saw myself considering stuff such as armor's own hitboxes and such, which don't seem too usual in games in general.
Seeing how wildly complex my thoughts are getting, I now have this question: Mechanics-wise, how complex can we expect TUG to get? How far is this game going to go in order to simulate reality?
I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.

Comments

• inoino REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 131 El Jefe
    I don't think the goal for TUG is to simulate reality... instead, our job is to create a framework of rules for the world, that are easy to understand, and open up some levels of complexity.

So for sake of discussion, lets say we make 3 versions of swords... all three are just various materials that are easy to find, and understand, with enough time. We would also introduce 2 more "advanced" ones, that offer some additional complexity to them... (3s and 5s is a pattern rule for our design, its also a lot to do with cognition). These rules apply to other aspects as well...

On the side of UX (user experience), we need to allow the LEAST amount of interactions, to accomplish something in game. This means clicks, UI prompts, and visual feedback for players, there is a world of research behind this, but in short, its about making the details easy, so the complexity of the big picture is better managed.

THIS way, if "doing things" is easy to do, and there are rules that allow us to facilitate both simplicity, and LAYERED complexity, we have a well rounded game, that is approachable for myself, and my older kids (maybe 12yo?), so that things can be enjoyed, but adults can dig into further.

On the note of HOW complex the game goes, that is something I would leave to the community. We are creating a slew of tools that will allow people to do what we do, and more. Many things we are creating for functionality in the engine will be more than what we will need them for in the immediate, but others will be able to run with it.

If we focus on making things TOO specialized, it can take away from the things that are important to us... experience, world, and narrative (which are things we are taking a lot more time with). Now, its not to say we are making a children's game, but it is important that we can sort of bridge the gap, and strive to be for PC, what Nintendo is for console, or what Pixar is for film.
    I am a Dev on TUG, and I does teh science

Follow me on the twitters, why not? @inoritewtf
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    A sufficiently complete answer, my gratitude.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    Ino said:

...it is important that we can sort of bridge the gap, and strive to be for PC, what Nintendo is for console, or what Pixar is for film.

This is the kind of statement that excited me about TUG when I first saw it on Kickstarter. Nerd Kingdom isn't about banging out a game and selling a zillion units. The concept is so much more expansive than that. They aim for the stars and I believe they have the capability to get there.
    Some call me... Terella.