Q3 demo stuff

inoino REGISTERED Posts: 131
edited June 2016 in Dev Corner
This is a TECHNOLOGY demo of the engine... it wont look as shiny as another engine with years of development behind it, like unreal or unity, because it takes a lot of time and planning to get stuff done. But our goal is to have this engine game and the engine usable, by winter timeframe of next year, as we communicated on steam and our forums.

There are a few things that are significant about what we are doing on the technology side, but also the user experience side of things... the general theme is "accessibility". These bits are fairly "cutting edge" for the game technology space, and also a lot of the reason why we do have, and continue to get investor support. This first phase was more to do with planning, and documentation, and proving things work. Moving forward into the next couple quarters, more and more things come online. Also, be aware that lots of this stuff is running in debug, and simply demonstrating technology/tools.

First, we are the first commercial engine to fully integrate nodeJS. This is a massively supported development platform/community that leverages server side communication. Much of the reason this is significant for us, is because its a community of millions of developers, researchers, scientists, etc, who have not previously been able to access 3d games/world technology. Our general thinking is, there is a lot of pretty rad stuff that could be created on the tools side alone, with a platform and technology like this. So this decision lowers that barrier to allow more people to create things that we never expected... in areas of AI, data, play, etc... and more tools, means more modders, and more modders, means more content for everyone to play and share (also, modders won't be selling content, but NK will license awesome creations when it makes sense). In short, this is a huge deal for the games and tech space.... huge.

We are also building our engine to be able to seamlessly transcompile to web... so this means, that as companies like google, and firefox advance the power of the browser, to utilize hardware for graphics, we are ready to push all of our own content to be multiplatform. Not just what we create, but what modders create as well... being able to seamlessly push mods, maps, etc, to any platform that supports HTML5 (which is basically anything). The engine has a big focus on performance, so much so, that we were able to get our Q3 engine demo running on a surface one (first generations microsoft tablet). Still, lots of work needs to be done here, since its so early, but awesome start for us.

One of the other bigger deals here, is that this is the first steps towards also creating a real-time virtual collaborative environment, for us as a developer, and modders as well. For those that are not aware, game development is a lot like managing a word document in the early 90s... with people saving versions, and pushing emails to update things, then people screw up versions, and push things out. Entire industries have been built around this. Our tech will eventually allow us to create an environment for game development/modding, that will function more like a live google doc, instead of that date method.

The graphics, etc, don't look so fancy, but that's not something out of the ordinary. Lots of time goes into planning, and documentation... weeks, sometimes months... that way, we have lots of code that people understand, and allow others to easily become involved. We are at a place now, where more and more collaboration with graphics/rendering involves the art side. Still, all those fancy tools that exist, are also tools that the community has access to, as well.

On the AI side, what is significant here, is that AI is not hard coded, like it is with most engines. We leverage a formula driven AI system referred to as "utility theory", which for us, is an extensible framework, that will allow lots of other people to make some really interesting things, and fairly easily, leveraging the visual tools shown in the video, as well. Those tools are early still, and more will be done to clean it up, and make each things more clear... but in short (because it was a bit rough hearing jake talk), those blocks are behaviors and motivations, that people can move around, and build like blocks, to create unique AI, which can also be saved, or packaged for later use with other projects.

People don't HAVE to use those tools, they can dig right into lower level stuff if they so chose. C++, or Javascript, if they don't want to use these sorts of tools. But they are web based, and this is the general type of tool we will be creating for terrain generation, crafting, building generation, etc.

YES, lots of the theme of this post was the impact of modding. this does not mean we are not making a game, or that we expect modders to make all the things. To the contrary, it makes content creation that much easier for us, but by extension, allows for people to be able to create content easier than they did for other projects... its one of the biggest things that drive our decisions for play, and tech "what would our community need from this, and what could they do with it".

Also, we are not really demonstrating accounts systems/back end stuffs, data stuff, ALL the art assets, the HUNDREDS of design documents that exist, or various gameplay prototypes that have been developed in parallel of all this other progress. We do have 50 devs, but not every one of them is an engineer... everyone works on various things for various reasons.
I am a Dev on TUG, and I does teh science

Follow me on the twitters, why not? @inoritewtf

Comments

• Deadlock989Deadlock989 REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    That video is private.

What I'm getting from this: it's a mobile/tablet game now. Node.js, seamless transcompiling to web ... All these big Molyneuxesque dreams and ideas about something new and special ... Where have we heard this kind of thing before ...

You should have just stuck with making a Minecraft clone. It might even have worked.
  • inoino REGISTERED Posts: 131
    edited June 2016
    Well, to be fair, Molyneux stuff, was all big talk about game feature bits about how you will be a god, and next generation buzz word crap. We already have demonstrated the things above, working. Now its on to polish and introducing various game features.

Lemme check the setting on the video, see whats up.

*edit: changed to unlisted. Should work now

• CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Awesome video. I'm still watching, but there is a lot of new stuff to absorb. Thanks, Ino!
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    So, basically, you seek to make TUG a bit like one of those pipe guns in Fallout 4 (only heard of 'em, not played it), a basic thing with huge modification potential, minus the "simple and uneffective" part of a pipe gun itself.
    Well, i'd like to hope the core product is a bit more than just a pipe gun. But I think I see where you are going with this.

• WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    I haven't stated "minus the simple and uneffective part" for no reason, of course.
    Ino said:

next generation buzz word crap

Like "seamless web transcompilation"? "Incentivising"? "Leveraging"?

Web transcompiling I would argue is more technical... the other two... yea, I think it walks dangerously close to that line. Touche.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdkingdom/tug-1/description

Going through Kickstarter, staying independent, and allowing our community to take ownership of what we’re doing together allows us to stay free of the influence of those other groups. If we’re not answerable to anyone but you, the community, then we don’t have to worry about meeting someone else’s agenda. All we have to worry about is making a great game even better!

And to that, we would like to make a commitment to you: all funds raised, from now until our official launch in 2015, will go directly into the game’s development, and not into anyone’s pockets. We want the community’s support to show in full with what is being created.

Don't think this needs any comment, really, does it?
    Well, we technically are still an independent developer. Its strictly chinese regulation that states we are a subsidiary, not US law... its a consideration for tax/filing consideration.

• Jakeman6299Jakeman6299 REGISTERED Posts: 84 Seed
    edited June 2016
    Ino said:

our goal is to have this engine game and the engine usable, by winter timeframe of NEXT year (emphasis mine), as we communicated on steam and our forums.

Wait...when you said it would come out in December-ish Did you mean December 2016 or December 2017?

(edit: question has been answered. plz don't respond)
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel REGISTERED Posts: 191 Seed
    nice presentation Ino :) I am glad to see this, it looks great!
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 510 Seed
    Awesome stuff everyone. I've got a question for the graphs: How big could you go with functions and nested graphs?
    Programmer, designer, artist.
    @Rawr you mean the nodal visual scripting interface thing?

• RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 510 Seed
    Yea, that one but regardless of how you interface with it - I think he talked about being able to create graphs in code too.
    Programmer, designer, artist.