Full client or mobile/browser

EmissaryEmissary REGISTERED Posts: 2 Podling
Some of the recent rhetoric has me a little concerned about a game into which(due to buying copies for friends) I have invested a fair bit of money.

Is this still planned as a full PC client release, with all of the associated quality and complexity, or is it going to be simplified to be accessible through browser or mobile?

There is nothing that tends to sound the death knell of a game faster than that moment when they announce: "also for mobile!"

Comments

• Deadlock989Deadlock989 REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    I need $250,000 to finish this:

http://progressquest.com/play/
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Almost as impressive as your work toward raising your post count on a forum for a game you've supposedly given up on. Bravo.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    About 50 comments on a single weekend. Incredible.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
  • inoino REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 131 El Jefe
    @Emissary I can appreciate your concern, and as a gamer, if I read that shit from any typical game dev, I would inquire on the same.

Our engine is capable of being local PC... as in, traditional PC executable, same as Rust, or Skyrim, etc... but also is capable of transcompiling/converting to web. Its a fairly "new" thing in game technology... web graphics are advancing INCREDIBLY quickly these days. We are not holding back on quality of the visuals, user experience, or graphics. Its a PC game, first and foremost.

This is one little post I just found online with the impact of webGL advancement, but there are lots of interesting samples out there emerging http://blog.djbarney.org/html5webgl-export-from-unreal-engine-4-the-death-of-traditional-3d-renderers/
    I am a Dev on TUG, and I does teh science

Follow me on the twitters, why not? @inoritewtf
    @Emissary that's a "yes, simplified".

Think about the last game you played on a phone or a tablet. Now think about whether that would be fun on a PC with a mouse and keyboard or even a controller. Are you thinking of Godus? Because you should be thinking about Godus.
    Charlock said:

Almost as impressive as your work toward raising your post count on a forum for a game you've supposedly given up on. Bravo.

Cheers babe
    Wingidon said:

About 50 comments on a single weekend. Incredible.

Tis but a trifle
  • EmissaryEmissary REGISTERED Posts: 2 Podling
    ino said:

We are not holding back on quality of the visuals, user experience, or graphics. Its a PC game, first and foremost.

This is the bit that matters to me. Ultimately, I'm not too worried about graphical quality. I'm worried about UI choices and depth of gameplay. Whenever mobile is considered in game development, you can watch the UI become painfully simplified in no time at all. Simple sounds good, but it usually means limited.

It's also worth noting that with an eyefinity setup, browser based games are usually terrible for me.