The future of TUG?

SejemusSejemus REGISTERED Posts: 6 Podling
I've been reading up on TUG for a few days now and what I read really has got me worried.

I just want to know if there's a reason to be worried.. Which leads me to ask the following question:
Will TUG be the game I backed on kickstarter?

I have tried to catch up, but I just don't have the time to go through every bit of information. So I was hoping the forum could clarify this for me :)

The main thing that worries me is the fact that they, from what I've heard, are planing to go free to play?

Thanks in advance,
Sejemus.

Comments

  • ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 400 Site Admin
    TUG is still in development, but it's undergoing an engine re-write right now. One of the reasons for that is to make the game run more smoothly and on a wider range of hardware.

    The free to play thing hasn't been decided, it was a discussion we wanted to open up with the community.
    The thread with the most info on that topic can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/277930/discussions/0/458605613398667859/
    -Dee.
  • SejemusSejemus REGISTERED Posts: 6 Podling
    edited May 2016
    Alright, thanks for the info :) I must have missed the info regarding the engine rewrite.

    Just to clarify, will I still get the rewards from the kickstarter tier regardless of the free to play thing?
  • Deadlock989Deadlock989 REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    *crickets*
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    edited June 2016
    Yes indeed. You should still get some exclusive and fashionable things just for paying a bit sooner than I did. Rewards are still rewards, no matter what.
  • SejemusSejemus REGISTERED Posts: 6 Podling
    Wingidon said:

    Yes indeed. You should still get some exclusive and fashionable things just for paying a bit sooner than I did. Rewards are still rewards, no matter what.

    Well, I don't want to sound like an idiot or the like. But when you say "some" "exclusive and fashionable things", will that be the things that my reward tier, on kickstarter, said it would, or generic "you paid early, here are items" kind of things?

    Not that it's extremely important to me to get exclusive items, as I'm more interested in the game that it's hopefully going to be. But I've backed quite a few games on kickstarter and IGG and, of cause, some of them has failed to deliver, and to be honest, TUG has parallels to some of those projects right now.

    The engine rewrite comment did calm a lot of my worries, but it's something I've heard before, with a disappointing outcome. Maybe TUG will get it right and everyone will be happy, we'll have to wait and see.

    The thought of F2P scared me even further as F2P generally have less quality as those that are not.
    I hope they decide not to go with the F2P route, but I will stay on the wagon for now and see what happens, even if the decision to go F2P is made.
    As long as TUG becomes what was advertised back in the kickstarter days.

    Also I want my baby sabre tiger :>
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    edited June 2016
    @Sejemus Yeah, I'll be honest. I am not truly sure on them being specifically what you were told you would get, since time has made the idea of the game evolve a bit.

    Either way, no need to worry. Fortunately, this game's dev team has managed to obtain a seemingly reliable and good amount of funding, according to Ino, and there is indeed good looking sights on the remade engine.

    Besides, the community is hardly a fan of the F2P idea, so I doubt the devs will actually get it happening.
  • SejemusSejemus REGISTERED Posts: 6 Podling
    Well, good to know we're not few to feel like that about F2P. Hopefully someone who knows more will find the time to answer my question regarding the rewards at some point, I'm sure I can't be the only one who wants to know.
    But as I said, the game being what was promised is most important.
    Of cause it will have its consequences if they fail to deliver their rewards, but the consequences of failing to make the game is significantly worse than failing to deliver rewards.
    So I completely understand if they would go all in on the game and put the rewards aside.
  • inoino REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 131 El Jefe
    I guess I have the recent weekend activity to thank for drawing up attention to posts we overlooked!

    Yea, Kickstarter rewards are still happening, regardless of whatever "business model" is chosen. And those things will not be resold to anyone in the future. Only you guys will have them.
    I am a Dev on TUG, and I does teh science

    Follow me on the twitters, why not? @inoritewtf
  • SejemusSejemus REGISTERED Posts: 6 Podling
    @Ino Thank you very much for taking a moment to answer, I appreciate it :)
  • Deadlock989Deadlock989 REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    Yeah don't worry mate! It's all FINE.

    Sleep now. Hushhhhhhh. It's fiiiiiiinnnnne.
  • PacManPacMan REGISTERED Posts: 16 Seed
    Since this post seemed to drum up some activity recently.. and I haven't checked on TUG in about a year.. I suppose I'm happy to see that things are still brewing. I had, in fact, put TUG down as a failed investment, having assumed nothing was really happening. Reading the recent posts on IGG and a few other things has given me some light into what is happening.

    So, I'm interested in TUG still, and I have invested quite a bit some years ago into it. My question is what happens to my multi-license Kickstarter level. I had originally shared some of the keys with a couple friends when the game was releasing in Alpha, but since then neither of those friends have interest in the project. Are those extra license-keys scrapped? Do I have control over those licenses? When a new engine/version is released in Alpha test, do all those keys reset for my tier level?
    15.jpg
  • ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 400 Site Admin
    edited July 2016
    PacMan said:


    So, I'm interested in TUG still, and I have invested quite a bit some years ago into it. My question is what happens to my multi-license Kickstarter level. I had originally shared some of the keys with a couple friends when the game was releasing in Alpha, but since then neither of those friends have interest in the project. Are those extra license-keys scrapped? Do I have control over those licenses? When a new engine/version is released in Alpha test, do all those keys reset for my tier level?

    The original owner of the extra gift licenses has control over them up until they are sent out to be gifted. Once they have been redeemed, they are owned by the gift recipients who have redeemed the keys. It would be kinda bad of us if we allowed people to gift a game but also allowed them to revoke that access from the person who received and claimed the gift. If the gift keys were sent out, but the licenses were never redeemed by the recipients and they aren't yet tied to an account, then we can still retrieve them if you send an e-mail to [email protected]

    -Dee.
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    Shadee said:

    If the gift keys were sent out, but the licenses were never redeemed by the recipients and they aren't yet tied to an account, then we can still retrieve them if you send an e-mail to [email protected]

    I know this is true, because I did it. I sent a gift key to my dad. He didn't receive the email for an entire half hour (!) and got impatient and bought the alpha on Steam. [email protected] retrieved the key and I was able to send it to my son.
    I guess I know where I get my impatience from.
    Some call me... Terella.

  • arshan272arshan272 REGISTERED Posts: 92 Seed
    Given that this thread is titled "The Future of TUG" and I do not want to pollute the forum with a similarly titled thread, I would like to use this one to ask a few questions. The first is: Is there an estimated time of completion for the release of the engine rewrite? I will ask my second question afterwards.
    Apparently, my opposite class is the Alcoholic.
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    arshan272 said:

    Given that this thread is titled "The Future of TUG" and I do not want to pollute the forum with a similarly titled thread, I would like to use this one to ask a few questions. The first is: Is there an estimated time of completion for the release of the engine rewrite? I will ask my second question afterwards.

    I believe that by December a beta of the newly re-engined game will be released for us to chew on and test.
  • arshan272arshan272 REGISTERED Posts: 92 Seed
    Wingidon said:

    arshan272 said:

    Given that this thread is titled "The Future of TUG" and I do not want to pollute the forum with a similarly titled thread, I would like to use this one to ask a few questions. The first is: Is there an estimated time of completion for the release of the engine rewrite? I will ask my second question afterwards.

    I believe that by December a beta of the newly re-engined game will be released for us to chew on and test.
    I communicate this with neither malice nor cynicism: Is there an official source stating this?
    Apparently, my opposite class is the Alcoholic.
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    arshan272 said:

    Wingidon said:

    arshan272 said:

    Given that this thread is titled "The Future of TUG" and I do not want to pollute the forum with a similarly titled thread, I would like to use this one to ask a few questions. The first is: Is there an estimated time of completion for the release of the engine rewrite? I will ask my second question afterwards.

    I believe that by December a beta of the newly re-engined game will be released for us to chew on and test.
    I communicate this with neither malice nor cynicism: Is there an official source stating this?
    Yes.
  • ZiafZiaf REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    @arshan272 with a little looking around I found the post by Shadee here (http://forum.nerdkingdom.com/discussion/2966/hello#latest)
    confirming that December is the goal at the moment.
Sign In or Register to comment.