Can't place workbench?

LatiodileLatiodile REGISTERED Posts: 3 Podling
I've got no idea how to place a Crude Workbench, I've tried every combination i could do, from Pressing Q to right clicking, and straight up crafting with it in my hand.. not sure if this is a bug, or if i'm derping out, but every other normal block places fine

What's the deal? i can't do anything without this workbench...

Comments

• LatiodileLatiodile REGISTERED Posts: 3 Podling
    I just realized how much of a lack of info I have, I'm in survival and I'm running the Steam version of 0.8.9
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel REGISTERED Posts: 191 Seed
    to place things like work stations and decoration and so on, press Z, then you and hold shift and scroll with mouse, or hold ctrl and scroll with mouse, or hold both and scroll to rotate and position your object.
    pressing V will snap the object to grid too, so it will place aligned. :)
    I hope this helps you
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    @Latiodile - I recommend a good wiki to get you oriented such as tugwiki.com or tug.gamepedia.com
    But beyond the basics of the control system, I would discover the game by trial and error rather than using the wiki for everything.

On a related note, I just listened to the RANDOM GAMER INTERVIEWS PETER CONCERNING TUG and found it very interesting to hear Ino's comments about how they didn't do a tutorial on purpose for research reasons. This project is definitely about more than just a game. :)
    Some call me... Terella.

• LatiodileLatiodile REGISTERED Posts: 3 Podling
    I managed to get this far without a wiki, its just this one thing is what halted me for a bit... i found out that you had to press Z by pressing every key on my keyboard... (slightly barbaric) whu not just use the same key as place block?
  • CobellCobell REGISTERED, GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 84 Developer
    We actually had an older control scheme that was exactly that. Right click would drop what was in your hand unless you had something targeted that the item had a contextual use.

We switched to this new control scheme as part of a larger update where we introduced the sparkly loot drop system where certain objects weren't physics active. It was part trying to reduce the performance footprint that large numbers of physics objects would cause, part making it harder to accidentally pick up something you were using as decoration, and part how the different control scheme would be regarded by users.

Both control schemes had their own pros and cons.
  • ElfElf REGISTERED Posts: 70 Seed
    Just restarted the game after several months... can't grab anything.

"We didn't make a tutorial because we wanted to see how the players would figure things out" is a stupid move. Also, a terrific way to get a swarm of refund requests when the game goes live again on Steam; people will pay for it, load it up, play for fifteen minutes, realize they can't figure out how to do anything, and throw it back.

"Social experiment" should not mean "we're going to do things we know will annoy and frustrate many players" unless your end goal is "we only want a small pool of players who are willing to put up with nonstandard game mechanics with no instructions."
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Woah, rough.
    Altrough it is true that basic controls (and controls overall) cannot be really discovered by intuition, so, at least there should be a basic way of having that shown to players.

It wouldn't be that normal for a real person to not know how to move an arm to pick up a thing, after all.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
    The input screen of the setup tab shows all the controls. And even let's you change them.

I would also add that a newly born human (newly sprouted seed?) learns how to interact with their environment entirely by trial and error. It must be very frustrating and I expect one of the reasons that babies cry so much.
    Some call me... Terella.

The controls are better placed in a thing that you ARE going to see ingame at least once, rather than simply hidden in the "options" menu.
    It's much easier to know how to do something if you find out the control key when you can do it, otherwise it's likely that you will forget about it.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
    Wingidon said:

It's much easier to know how to do something if you find out the control key when you can do it, otherwise it's likely that you will forget about it.

@Wingidon, I definitely see your point. It would also help with the immersion of the game not to have to look at the options or a wiki or a paper list whenever you want to do something. Having a dialog box pop up or a message in the chat area the first time you find floating loot saying "Use the f-key to pick up items" would be helpful. It could even continue to pop up until you turn it off. This could also happen with items you put in your hand, items you drop to craft, etc. I would prefer that to a tutorial, especially if you are required to go through it.
    Some call me... Terella.

• ElfElf REGISTERED Posts: 70 Seed
    @ekohrman Human babies, unlike new seeds, have a caretaker who teaches them how to do things - or they die. New seeds are supposed to be able to survive alone from the first moment they spawn; they should not have to click through every key on the keyboard hoping that one of them does what any toddler-age human would be able to do without thinking about it.
    @Elf - Good point! Also a game isn't really supposed to be too realistic anyway or it isn't fun. Can you imagine if the game was really over when you died?
    Some call me... Terella.

Well, it's easy to explain why would a seed know all of the stuff ingame, it's basically Platon's concept that "learning is remembering", and the seeds know most things from the moment they spawn, but they simply don't remember them until they find something that reminds them.
    (desire of showing my knowledge sated, back to normal)

Yeah, it makes good sense. The cool thing with these fantasy-themed games is that they can allow themselves to have these unnatural things going while remaining logical. We're playing as some kind of magical-ish beings, aren't we?