[TUG V2.0 (OPENGL)] Suggestion: Get rid of the "Teen Seed"

With all of the new discussions happening (some of which are pretty heavy hitters), I figured I'd drop this one here too. The topic is pretty self-explanatory, but I will definitely elaborate a little.

First off, let me just say that I do not like the Teen Seed. For the most part, I don't like the way it looks and, yes, I am fully aware that the current art style is not the one we'll end up with at the end of the year. It is completely possible that the NK team could drop a picture of their new vision for the "grown up" version of the Seed and make me fall in love with it, but as it stands I like our Seeds being small, much smaller than the world and its dangers.

I am all for an "aging" mechanic, where the Seed changes in ways that reflect its environment, how it chooses to survive, where it lives and how it treats the plants and animals the make up its world. To me, this can be accomplished without designating an age range of sorts. I also think that these other types of changes allow for a far more customized or unique look and feel to individual characters. I think all living creatures in the world can benefit from these types of changes!

Now, I know a lot of folks really enjoy the progression into Bronze Age clothes and armors that comes with the growth into a teen and, as some of you know, I made a very small mod that allows for the "child" Seed to wear these Bronze Age items. If you haven't, I'd encourage you to go grab it and try it out. It gives you a great idea of what these advanced items look like on the Seed without the requirement of a great deal of XP to make your character taller.

So, there you have it. That's my suggestion and I encourage feedback of all kinds. You're not going to hurt my feelings.

My question is this. If the progression into the Bronze Age, Iron Age, Steam Age, what have you, is a little more difficult, would we really need the growth into a Teen as a reward for our hard work?
"I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."

Comments

• Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel Posts: 191 Seed
    I agree, the height differences should not be forced.
    And the teen seed, is uncomfortably "big" for many players.
    I wouldn't mind seeing aging and body shape changes, as long as height isnt part of the equalization.
    Seeds aren't human, thats clear. I'd like to see some environmental effects guiding our seeds appearances more. skin tones, shape structure hairstyles available, etc.
    A forest dwelling seed might develop green tones, and leaf or flower hair effects, one around swamp biomes might take on a myconid structure the ones mainly around cats, might go feral, etc etc.
    facial hair growth, also as age continues, but if anything I'd be happy with a character creation at start so I could choose my base girth, and height, hair style and so on from the start too.

• WingidonWingidon Posts: 1,128 Seed
    edited March 2016
    But I think... wouldn't our glorious, mysterious creators like the seeds they're "planting" into the world to grow up?

I am personally a fan of the ageing growth (I can't help but love the more slender body shape), I like the idea of the seed growing from a tiny dweller that feeds off of bits of nature to an imposing, unnatural ruler of said nature.

Still, totally a fan for the "being influenced by the place of growth", after all, with this ageing, the choices of a seed's way of life might manifest more noticeably.
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel Posts: 191 Seed
    its the height that gets me, they are too bloody tall hehe
  • ekohrmanekohrman Posts: 87 Seed
    I find many aspects of the game as it is to be "off". Baskets are far too easy to make, for instance, IMO. I think many things are the way they are right now because the developers are trying them out, not making them like the final version. My guess is that the teen is one of these things. In the final version, the growth will hopefully be much more gradual and seem more natural.
    I also find that the activities that stimulate growth are too limited as well. I like to wander around and explore and that doesn't seem to build XP, but crafting multiple items for no purpose other than XP, does. Building structures doesn't seem to give XP either, as far as I can tell (though I'm not much for building myself).
    Some call me... Terella.

A little problem with this XP system is that whatever the devs do to make it happen, there will be players that will try to grind their way into growth. So yeah, I guess it'll be tricky to make it a mere "passive, natural progress".

Also, recently I had a second look at some teen seeds, and I can't help but agree that they have slightly uncanny proportions. Yup.
  • RotsuoyRotsuoy Posts: 13 Seed
    I just wish that there was a base character customization that sort of 'locked' your character into growing a certain way.

These would be things like skin tone, hair color, body size and shape, as well as maybe a 'gender' slider?

If it was all based on sliders, I could see how the coding would be simple to sort of scale the growth of the character, but I have no idea how the game developers are working on the growth mechanics nor do I know what their engine is doing as far as that goes.

I could see how scaling your character's body shape and height down could keep them small and petite, so you could use your small size and speed as an advantage over other players that opt to make their characters more bulky and brutish. Not to mention, in real life, there are many people that eat lean diets and perform lots of manual labor but still have a higher body fat than those that don't eat as lean nor perform as many activities.

Another reason why I suggest sliders for things, especially for 'gender anomalies' (let's call them), is because I like the idea of a genderless humanoid species, but I would also like to see mammalian style genetic variants. If the 'gender' was a slider, it could be manipulated to make the character more 'feminine' or more 'masculine' (based on societal dictation and definition of the two) you could chose how your character looked in the gender they were presenting as- maybe even knock the slider straight to the center to keep them more androgynous. I mean, let's be honest here: someone's body does not determine their gender. However, I may want to make my own character more 'traditionally feminine,' or even straight up give them an apple bottom. Maybe I want to make a very 'traditionally feminine' character and give them a beard. Bring on the lady beards. X3

I had to end on that funny note, because this could go into a large discussion on body and gender and I don't want to go there. I just wanted to put in my two-cents. :D
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 20 Seed
    Have child, teen, adult, and elder. No levels its all based around crafting and ageing/xp. You naturally get stronger as you get older. as you age you out grow your armor and weapons and need to craft larger stuff to fit your seed. you naturally get weaker and die as you get old. when you die you have to restart as a child again. So your survival and progression depends on you crafting better items and gear for the future generations rather then directly handing down from you previous seed. as for gender i don't think there should be any. These seeds should be a magical race that sprout out of the ground or something. so this way gender is not relevant and if you want to have a muscular womanly looking seed with big boobs, green skin and a pink beard that would be all good . Just my take on this
    Northwind said:

...and if you want to have a muscular womanly looking seed with big boobs, green skin and a pink beard that would be all good .

...wow now that's brutal.

Altrough on your actual suggestion, I don't feel comfortable with the "becoming an elder and then dying" part myself, I need to say.
  • ekohrmanekohrman Posts: 87 Seed
    I agree with @Northwind about lack of gender in seeds. They're not supposed to be humans.

I also happen to like that I don't choose my character's look. I always found that the most annoying part of MMOs. I just want to play, dammit! Not spend hours tweaking my butt size.
    Some call me... Terella.

I'd say yes to the character creator being a super-simple "pick some of these very few options and sliders on your character's appearance, the rest will set itself as you play", with the rest being pre-set (and changeable maybe later on as you play).

Full character creators will be left for mods.
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 20 Seed
    edited May 2016
    @ekohrman @Wingidon TBH i would be fine with very little to nothing for seed creation. i would rather see the developers working on the core systems that make the game play fun and immersive like combat/crafting mechanics, AI, and world interaction! In the end of the day what will attract the most players is fun and addicting game-play. all the cosmetic "Butt size tweekers" the community can create with the tools we are given. As for "Teen seed" I feel this is one of the core mechanics that will make the game immersive. maybe it can look different but if this game is to be a success
    I think that this type of growth mechanic will do it well.
  • Jakeman6299Jakeman6299 Posts: 84 Seed
    Yeah. I kinda think the Current Teen seed model is a bit too tall. Maybe you guys at NK can keep the current teen model and use it for the adult model instead. And then make an intermediate model for the child and teen models we already have.