Data Mining - Dedicated server

Comments

• egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
    I found off in the middle of nowhere a shaft or maybe a well, a 2x2 surface hole that went down about 20 blocks and 14 kid goats in the bottom. I got rid of the goats and covered over the hole. That seemed to help with the local lag.
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel REGISTERED Posts: 191 Seed
    Looks like opening a basket caused a crash this time.
    Server just went down, I was alone on it.
    What's that in the sky? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it an Asteroid?
    hehehe
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    An asteroid!?! Won't somebody think about the kids?! Oh! the seedmanity. ;)
    Some call me... Terella.

In all seriousness, a server reset is okay by me. As a scientist by training, a lag testing mechanism makes sense to me. So far all we have is anecdotal evidence.
    Some call me... Terella.

Just wanted to share with you all, some very cool very real ancient structures.

tons more can be seen by searching yahoo images for prehistoric village, also another good search, for seeing an amazing real dungeons and dragons type spooky place, search catacombs of France.

I've been trying to take inspiration from some of these places in my builds. :)

I can almost envision some of these structures going up in TUG. Some are nearly there already.
    failed to connect to server message is what I am seeing this morning.
    Lastnight about 10pm I think PST, the server went down. It didn't crash, I don't think, because I got the same message then. more than likely a power failure?
    I hope everything is okay
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Should we straw poll and get a final vote? I haven't seen @marceloSR weigh in yet, as far as if a reset is something that would even be considered.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    I'm fine with it, but please keep the same seed, it is a great one!
  • marceloSRmarceloSR REGISTERED Posts: 47 Seed
    Hey, sorry for the long time... But I see a lot of cool ideas going on here!

I'll check with my professor about the server reset. I'm done collecting the data for the study already. So I dont think there will be a problem.
    As soon I heard back from him, Ill let you know!
    edited February 2016

I'm fine with it, but please keep the same seed, it is a great one!

Other than the scarcity of coconuts. :)
    Some call me... Terella.

• DooyDanDooyDan REGISTERED Posts: 31 Seed
    edited February 2016
    I'm in favor of a server reset. I like the photos that Hoppa has posted showing medieval style buildings, especially the thatch domed buildings. As Hoppa, Charlock and Talon already know, I've constructed this style of building and I think it would fit our needs as well as many of the other styles posted.

The only concern I have with using the same world seed is the numerous cats at the spawn location. I have died at least three times spawning in on this server. You have to hit the ground running, hopefully in the right direction to avoid being killed by these cats, but I guess that's the name of the game.

As far as coconut trees are concerned for this world seed (1234), Charlock and myself already have the coordinates to the one tree, which Charlock found.
    Yeah, just waiting for the word as to reset or not. I kind of don't want to bother playing while waiting to know if the asteroid is on the way. I'm ok either way. I'd just like to know.

I haven't been killed by cats in this game. I probably just got lucky. I have starved to death when I thought I had logged out but didn't.
    Oh, good call,
    the cats are rough. They can be dealt with but are bloody annoying.
    I tried single player of 1234 and ended up speed typing /debugging to be able to fly away.
    Its a great 4 corners type seed though for biomes, and I'd love it if we could find one similar.

maybe folks could suggest a nice seed for it if you got one?
    if we do go with 1234 again, I suggest town starts closer to where the Trading post is now.

or possibly building a hut with lights at spawn so new arrivals spawn inside a safe zone.

*notes to self,* Hoppa, in next world, do not sleep... you want to be a hobbit, not a giant teen.. hehe :)
    Hoppa was a teen when I logged in the other afternoon I had to rummage through names to find a suitable look again to go back to building hehe.
    egork said:

Yeah, just waiting for the word as to reset or not. I kind of don't want to bother playing while waiting to know if the asteroid is on the way. I'm ok either way. I'd just like to know.

I haven't been killed by cats in this game. I probably just got lucky. I have starved to death when I thought I had logged out but didn't.

Oddly enough, Hoppa was only killed after I'd made base 2 and that was out by Dan's house i the wilderness hehe. Though one of my seeds yesterday got et by a cat at the spawn drop just as soon as I made him. (( we need a seed face mod hehe so I don't have to keep losing good names due to not lookin like I wanna look ))
    I don't think the world seed is much of an issue, most are similar, but some are better than others. Photo of my potentially next house, hehe, hobbit style.

oooh I love it.
    I'd like to live in a place like that IRL.
    the Skara Brae shots I put up, really look a lot like Tolkien's Bag End Layout in a way, and i was thinking something similar to that a combination hobbit smial and Skara Brae
    checking out seeds:
    1234567890 has desert, swampland, savanah, bamboo, and fruitwood forest at the start.
    There are bears in the desert,
    4321 looks a lot like 1234 except I didnt see any desert.
    1111 was a mountain-top spawn in the snow.
    going to check out more...
    edited February 2016
    seed 1337 the "leet" seed.
    You spawn in the middle of a fruitwood forest, which is bordered on the edges by bamboo and also cocoanut jungle. the jungle borders a very large mountain of swamp. the fruitwood forest you start in is huge, but not far from other resources, still checking other borders. a village at the drop seems doable.

Savannah on one part of it, (( looks like, if you kept with a border, you could always find your way back home and still find good stuff. Desert visibly in sight across a patch of Savannah.
    I didn't explore this seed beyond the starter and its borders, but I'd say 1337 holds up for "needs" but would require some traveling scout parties to gather at the beginning, if we picked this for a seed.

No cats that I notice in the forest at all. Maybe I was lucky not to find any but I didnt see any except in the desert.
    I did a few experiments with world seed numbers and these first six numbers '213141' will give you a jungle next to spawn all the time. Adding numbers to the end of this string will give you slightly different world generations.
    DooyDan said:

I did a few experiments with world seed numbers and these first six numbers '213141' will give you a jungle next to spawn all the time. Adding numbers to the end of this string will give you slightly different world generations.

Disregard that. I guess adding numbers to the end of '213141' does not always give you a jungle near by.
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    I'd be down for a new seed; though the one thing I do really like about our current seed is the huge amounts of goats everywhere by spawn, just because you need them for materials and in single player mode I've had trouble finding goats in the past. So maybe keep an eye out for goat wildlife as well while ya'll are checking spawns?

Personally I also like the idea of having some cool snowy mountains in the area. Or a mesa biome so we can do houses built into the cliff walls would be cool too.
  • marceloSRmarceloSR REGISTERED Posts: 47 Seed
    I heard back from him, and we can do the server reset.
    When you guys are done deciding the seed, I'll reset the server!
    edited February 2016
    @marceloSR You pick. It's your server. We can walk to a nice build site. When should it reset?

What was the decision on 3 servers, or a designated time frame with different, "guidelines," of builds to try and tease out information regarding lag?
    seed: o234a
    starts you at the edge of bamboo, fruit forest, and cocoanut jungle! If you circle you can find some swamp that borders too.

1b3d is forest and cocoanut jungle.

with this examination I will attempt to locate cocoanuts!

3 in the 3rd space now is my tester.

testing random words too, goat cats etc
    it seemed goat had also a cocoanut spawn too.

*tests*

seed: aaaa
    has also cocoanut right in spawn.

3333 has fruit forest, bamboo, snowy pine hills, and swamp bordering.

So, 3 isn't cocoanut. Hmm...

lets try aa3a .... which looks identical to aaaa

back to testing...

12aa has fruit forest and cocoanut, but does not look the same as the others.

34aa looks good, it looks like 1234 in terrain contours, however where the bamboo, and the desert was is cocoanut jungle which does alter the general shape of the terrain some.

ahah! here we go,
    34a1 has a patch of bamboo now, but int he opposite direction where our 'old' bamboo grove was.
    2 must be savannah or desert I am guessing but the spawn is only those first 4 that are really visible.

I will now try 34a12222 and see what happens....
    and that changes everything... no cocoanuts

from all this testing, of various things anything after the first 4 seem to alter things drastically

So for my testing today,
    34a1 seems the best.
    please check it out guys see what you think?
    edited February 2016
    I did a quick fly around the starter area in the current server. and video'd it.
    I'll need to try and make time to edit it if I can, and post it.

server crashed before I could get everything, but it provided me with the ability to get some underground plane shots of the mines we had going in the current area chunk.
    I tried out Hoppa's world seed 34a1 and it looks great. There is a very large open flat area not far from spawn, in the jungle area that would be great for a small town. There would be no trees to chop down, but lots of coconuts around the open area. There are a few cherry trees, pumpkins, melons and gourds. Apple trees can be found in the bamboo forest not far from spawn, but orange trees we will have to hunt for. There appears to be a fair number of goats as well as cats in the area. I would vote for this world seed.
    Server appears to be down, is that just a normal crash or part of a reset?

tug_vid from Will on Vimeo.