Data Mining - Dedicated server

Comments

• marceloSRmarceloSR REGISTERED Posts: 47 Seed
    Thats sad =/ it should be up again!
  • marceloSRmarceloSR REGISTERED Posts: 47 Seed
    ekohrman said:

I'll be very interested to see your data analysis when you're done with your thesis. Good luck with it!
    My research subjects were less cooperative (dang squirrels!) and I had to go the non-thesis route.

Hahahaha, I'm glad that my "subjects" are cooperating more than yours.
    I'll make sure to post the research here when it is done =)
  • DooyDanDooyDan REGISTERED Posts: 31 Seed
    Hi marceloSR,
    Just to let you know, the server went down around 1:00pm MST. There were 2 people online when a third person joined that may have caused the server to crash, not sure? I hope all is going well with the data you have collected. You may want to include in your thesis information on server management, server crashes and how demanding the players were requesting that the server be restarted (hehe), just a thought.
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    I was fighting a cat when the server went down. Yikes! Pray for me!
    If you find a nice pile of bronze weapons and tools, that was me. I had a nice bronze scythe I was fond of, too.
    Some call me... Terella.

• egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
    edited February 2016
    vakari was down when I tried to log in. Is it my imagination or does this seem to regularly occur at roughly 9:45 Eastern time?

Incidentally yesterday when I was able to get back in, most of my metals were back in my inventory. I ended up only losing one tin
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    It all depends on when the actual "crash" event occurs. I've noticed I'm usually set back a couple of minutes from where I was or what I was trying to do when I realized I wasn't getting a response.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    edited February 2016
    crashed

It was interesting that it appeared that I found the end of the world until I realized that I had only reached the end of what had just immediately been rendered
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    Charlock said:

It all depends on when the actual "crash" event occurs. I've noticed I'm usually set back a couple of minutes from where I was or what I was trying to do when I realized I wasn't getting a response.

That's what saved me from the cat! It turns out the server had crashed long before I got to the cat. Whew!
    Some call me... Terella.

server down when I tried to log in
    Crash around 4:55 PM CST. They seem to be getting more and more frequent. I fear we might be in need of a reset, if @marceloSR has already gotten his data dump.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    server down again
    edited February 2016
    This was a new one around 07:30 Central time. My computer crashed while playing on Vakari and reported a memory error. When I was able to restart the computer and reload Tug I found the server was down. I don't know if they are related. This was the first time ever I've seen a memory error. There were only two of us on the server when this happened.
    edited February 2016
    I somewhat agree with Charlock about the server needing a reset. However, this may make some people angry, but if its needed in order to play on the server to lessen the frequency of server crashes, then so be it.
    DooyDan said:

I somewhat agree with Charlock about the server needing a reset. However, this may make some people anger, but if its needed in order to play on the server to lessen the frequency of server crashes, then so be it.

Yeah, Dan. Definitely not my preference, but if it means we can play longer and with less crashes, I'd be willing to take the hit.
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel REGISTERED Posts: 191 Seed
    If the server does a reset, how should we as a community go about our next buildings?
    Should we try and stick close together, which will increase the object count in one area, which is bad, or, should we spread out, which if we have areas with a large count, and then 'port' to them can cause server crash too.

My vote, is we try and work together, we build a central garden, and basket it, not a lot of plants just enough to keep us in food.

maybe we could model it after Skara Brae or something.

Ohh... Central stone henge, with baskets. plants. fruit trees.. then build our houses facing inward towards it..
    I still like the idea of continuing the underground too, all upper housing could connect via basement, and the mines below.

Just some thoughts.

If we work this out like a plan, then the potentially over-lagging randomness can be lessened and the server should stay open longer.

I've always been more of a "run in this direction until I get bored, then setup camp" type of player, but I am more than willing to focus my building efforts in one, central location if that is the decision we reach as a majority.

Historically, my trappings make for a very small footprint, in the grand scheme of things.
    edited February 2016
    I'm for a community centre where maybe we have just one blacksmith, one alchemy, one mine, etc. that we could all use. The centre would have to be large enough to house at least eight players or more, meaning beds.

We could host events, maybe hide and seek where the seeker throws spears at the hiders. If you get hit your out of the event. The hiding area would have to be limited to a radius around the centre and no debugging allowed, hehe.

Having hunting parties to gather meat and hide, etc. Maybe someone could be the farmer gathering fruits and managing the goats, someone could be mining for ores, someone could be crafting potions, etc.

Just thoughts on how we could have the server run better with limiting the amount of builds and objects that the server has to keep track of.

If new players don't want to be part of the community, that's ok.
    I like this idea, Dan. Maybe being a part of a hunting party would satisfy my need for being out in the wild. :wink:
    Charlock said:

I like this idea, Dan. Maybe being a part of a hunting party would satisfy my need for being out in the wild. :wink:

I thought you would.. :)
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    Sooo, I hopped on to see what everyone had built the past few weeks while I haven't been on, and ran around looking at everything by the spawn (some really cool stuff guys!). And then I went to head back out to my swamp and encountered The Edge of the World thing, which I hadn't ever seen before, and I stood there for a minute to see if it would load (it didn't); then I decided to see if it was A) nothing had loaded or B) the graphics just hadn't caught up, by stepping off the Edge of the World... It was A. So I fell off the world for a long time and then logged out; I think it crashed the server, or maybe it crashed earlier and I didn't notice since I wasn't trying to interact with anything. I'm sorry :(
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    And a central community could be interesting; I'd be willing to give it a go.
    usually when you see the world edge the server has already crashed,
    although, one time I had just a strip infront of my house that was a world hole, I fell in, and had to /debugging but I'd already fell a long ways and ended up holding spacebar for 5 minutes to fly out high enough to get the 'prevented death from a long fall' message and got ported back to land hehe.

crashes happen so don't worry. :)
    server down when I tried to log on at around 07:30 Central time.

I assume a reset means an asteroid strikes and we start over?
    egork said:

server down when I tried to log on at around 07:30 Central time.

I assume a reset means an asteroid strikes and we start over?

Yeah it would, Not a fan of it, but if its necessary then I am hoping we all work together :)

The current world might be salvageable if we limit our farms to one of each plant, and clean up unnecessary things like that pillar of spears ( which had not point and i cleaned up yesterday )
    I'm also going to build a town hall at the drop, dunno if you've seen the base structure yet :)

If we do have to create a new world, I'm testing a few ideas like the town hall and other things like that now :)
    I like the idea of an open courtyard right at spawn, so a Seed can drop in and collect what they choose to, if they want to skip the "grind" of starting from scratch. It would be a unique perspective.

The more I think about starting over, the more I like the idea. Again, though, I'll fall in with the majority decision and if that's to just refine what we already have and hope for the best, we can work on that together too.
    I'm ok with an asteroid strike. I'm ok with a town. I do think, though, that we should try to minimize the Z-Placements. Yeah, they are decorative and most of you have really cool looking houses, but if that's what's bogging things down, then we should be more creative with the various blocks and not so liberal with the Z's
    I hesitate to think the root of the issue is with z-placed items alone. I've experienced quite a bit of "lag" and game slowing behavior, even in single player games, when the world re-renders large builds as well. The best way to figure out the cause is to test, though and if we z-place a ton of items and we notice the frequent crashes, that's an easy enough thing to resolve.

It's a slightly different story for cleaning up gigantic castles.
    Maybe we need to test that then. It seems to me that block builds should require basically the same amount of coding as the environment that's already there, but I'm not literate in coding so could be wrong. Would it be feasible to have 3 servers? 1 the current vakari where everyone just does their thing. 2 another one where we build huge buildings with minimized Z's and 3 one where people go hog wild with Z's ?

If only one server is available, maybe do 6 months of one, then move on to another style?
    goat traps where you pock mark the land with a number of holes goats cant get out of, or kittens, while these should not be too laggy, there was a pit behind Night's house, someone had built early on, it has a lot of tiny chunks of floating land, a lot of pocks in the land about 4 kittens and 2 goats trapped in it.
    Yesterday Night and I removed the land pocks and the floating material, freed up the cats and goats, and the lag seemed to be noticeably less in that area too.

I've left alone the idea of cleaning up a giant castle, but the spear tower and the goat pits are gone for the most part. and also that 40 plant orchard I cut down to 2 trees and the lag improved 100%
    I've removed yesterday also every double plant I had so I am only down to one of each on trees and vegetables.
    Not sure yet though if the lag was from the trees so much or if ti was from the 100's of oranges on the ground, or the herd of 20+ goats. ( or the combination of it all )
    Oh, I looked up some pictures of Skara Brae, some amazing old structures... I may try to incorporate.
    ( just thoughts hehe)