Data Mining - Dedicated server

Comments

• marceloSRmarceloSR REGISTERED Posts: 47 Seed
    edited February 2016
    It is up again now! Thank you for the warning Charlock
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    I think I crashed it this time... :sweat:

11:03 AM CST.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • DooyDanDooyDan REGISTERED Posts: 31 Seed
    Are we still having issues with baskets and/or chests becoming corrupt? Just as I opened my basket to store a few items, the game crashed. I'll delete my basket to see if that helps.
    the server is up now, can you try opening your basket again?
    I don't think it was me opening my basket that crashed the game. When I logged back in, I was no where near my basket. It was probably something else.
    Seems like whatever is causing the crash is becoming more and more frequent. We went down again around 7:45 PM CST.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    I wonder if a player and I using a return stone near the same time caused the crash?
    edited February 2016
    Server is up again. From what Ive hear from them what can cause the server to crash is a lot of objects being calculated at the same time., that happens when players are playing really far from each other.
    edited February 2016
    So, we should be playing as a community, such as a village, living close to one another? That makes it a different type of online game play, which may be a good thing... :)
    The server appears to be down.
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel REGISTERED Posts: 191 Seed
    I think I was on during that crash time on the 2nd as well, I had not been doing anything but initial exploration looking at folkses build and scouting for a place to build, myself.
    Got a chuckle about a "cat" and a baby goat in a hole.
    Seems someone had a baby goat in a hole, and it looked to me like a couple of cats had went after it but it's position was lower than their ability to strike, and I think one of the cats wild strikes killed the other.
    Upon logging in, I went found a rock, made a knife, came back skinned the dead cat and then went exploring until the crash . Its times like that I would hve thought to have a screen capture recorder running hehehe
    oohhh.. that was an unfortunate crash.
    I got killed by a cat that came in my base and was heading back to get my things.
    I just arrived to the pile of things and the server died.
    Hehe... hopefully I can recover it all.
    So,
    thoughts here, on what could help the servers from crashing.
    It seems, for those of us that have built away from the start we have a large number of objects in our areas. And when someone new logs in, the large count of their area occasionally causes an overload.

I think my logging in caused last crash.

Could ( just speculating ) the server block that a player had logged out in, be saved client side, and "if" when it pings the server for this client returning, is returning to an empty ( player free ) location, just have it load their client side just for them and give a slowed down log in so there isn't a huge overload of traffic? maybe like a minute or two load. I am not sure this would work, I am just thinking..
    Pretty sure if you log in at same location another player is the overload is less.
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    I think the server crashed again today. There were 4 of us on at the same time. Saw some new buildings that are realy cool. Someone (don't know who) has decided to put their belongings on display (Z placed) rather than in containers. This looks very cool, but I have a question: Do the extra objects that must be rendered affect the server? Could it be contributing to the crashes? I hope not because I like the look.
    Some call me... Terella.

I think it definitely has something to do with the server calculations of objects in a specific area. In our case, I think it's the initial spawn point. It seems most folks like to start building at or near the place the drop into the world.

That brings to mind the possibility of a mod (or maybe an addition to Vakari?) that would randomize Seedling spawns. I haven't even looked at the data around it, so I'm not sure if that would be possible, but I don't know of another way to keep folks from just building where they start out.
    marceloSR said:

From what Ive hear from them what can cause the server to crash is a lot of objects being calculated at the same time., that happens when players are playing really far from each other.

Charlock said:

I think it definitely has something to do with the server calculations of objects in a specific area. In our case, I think it's the initial spawn point. It seems most folks like to start building at or near the place the drop into the world.

Now I'm confused. Should we be close together or far apart?

Some call me... Terella.

Lol. Good question!

I thought it was the large number of objects at spawn that might be bogging down the server and eventually causing the crashes. Maybe I'm mistaken and it's that large numbers of objects are being calculated in multiple areas simultaneously.

We need a Dev to weigh in and maybe some debugging tools in place.
  • egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
    Server seems to have crashed again. I believe there were 2 players at the time.

BTW, did someone find a coconut or did a devgod spawn one?
    I tracked down a very small patch of jungle and put baskets around the coconut and banana trees. I don't have the coordinates at the moment, but I can post them here tonight.
    We've probably made the world HUGE by all our wanderings trying to find those blasted coconuts! Maybe that's why it keeps crashing.

@Charlock I heard stories of your griefer hunting. You're my hero!
    Some call me... Terella.

Haha! Never underestimate the man with the fireball gauntlet..
    Hehe, I nearly killed myself with one of those fire gauntlets today and "lag"

there is a lot of worry every time I attempt to log in, as to whether it will crash or not.

vakari seems to be down again
    I wonder if some of the top players on server, like DooyDan CHarlock Bella etc could get a remote server reset for when the server is down?
    That would help us all a ton. A lot of times we get the login crash when someone arrives and we arent all together then it may be down all day
    Hey guys, Im sorry for not being as active and resetting the server as often.
    I had to start analyzing the data and writing the thesis, so sometimes I get distracted and forget to check the server as I used to.

But we are working on a system to notify us when the server is down. So we can reset it as fast as possible.
    I'll be very interested to see your data analysis when you're done with your thesis. Good luck with it!
    My research subjects were less cooperative (dang squirrels!) and I had to go the non-thesis route.
    Some call me... Terella.

edited February 2016
    Vakari down again.

Marcelo, I assume that you get emails when we post to this thread? I didn't know if there was a better way to let you know.
    Yes I do, so every time I see someone posted here I go immediately check if the server is down! hahaha
    got a weird pop up message after eating some pumpkin seeds earlier, and about 4 minutes later server crashed, not sure if they are related as I eat a lot things hehe.
    vakari crashed, right after I started to smelt so undoubtedly lost my metal ores