Data Mining - Dedicated server

marceloSRmarceloSR REGISTERED Posts: 47 Seed
Hey everyone,

With the support from Nerd Kingdom, we started a dedicated server where I will collect gameplay data to use on my master's thesis.
The goal is to discover how we play TUG and suggest improvements based on what we learn from it.

To join the server, please e-mail me at [email protected] or follow these instructions

If you have a friend that do not own TUG and want to play, ask him to email me, since I have some keys I can handle for those interested in contributing with the research.

Remember that, to ensure that all your gameplay data is being tracked correctly, you need to have the Vakari Mod installed.
You dont need to do anything else after this, just have fun playing TUG :)

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me,
See you on the server!

Comments

• CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Is this server down at the moment?
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • marceloSRmarceloSR REGISTERED Posts: 47 Seed
    The server crashed yesterday, It should be up now
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    I just wanted to say this is really cool; this is one of the (many) things I was excited about when I backed TUG. I think studying what people do in a game as open as TUG could be very interesting – you'll have to share what you find :)

How many people are playing on the server? I saw the cool stone castle by where you spawn.
    I haven't seen anyone around lately, but when I started playing I also saw the structures by spawn. I'm in the wilderness not too far off from spawn. The world seems to have a pretty decent amount of creature spawns though, so it can be a little treacherous to travel any good distance away.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    I've started playing on the server and I'm curious about the server rules, if any. Can I add to someone else's structures or mines? Can I use someone else's workspaces? Take from some else's garden? Can I destory somebody else's stuff? Can somebody destory/steal my stuff?
    I admit that I borrowed a hammer rock and axe rock out of a crate by the castle to get started since the hammer rocks are depleted in the immediate environs. I replaced them later when I has tools. I've also eaten out of the garden since it is renewing.
    I don't want to piss anyone off, so a little guidance please.
    Some call me... Terella.

Oh, are you the one camped under that Trepod tree with the hollow log under it Charlock? That's a cool spot.

I don't know about official server rules, but I'd go with a golden rule/don't be a jerk guidelines. I might refrain from building on other people's stuff till you have their permission. Modest garden nabbing is probably fine since food grows fairly quickly, and using workspaces doesn't wear them out, so it seems innocent enough if you're in need. Destroying and stealing stuff goes pretty firmly in the jerk/"I'd rather people not do that to me" category; but I think part of the point of TUG is the freedom of choice. People might start putting big nasty guardians around their stuff though ;)

On the vein of not building on people's stuff w/o permission, I started a base a little ways from the spawn point/castle (though I can't find the castle now for the life of me -.-) by the border between the Mesa biome and the forest biome, where a Trepod tree is at the entrance to a canyon. There's a little garden and some orange trees and a cave I started chipping into the canyon wall before I decided that I hate sand and picked up camp to move to a swampy spot; I won't be returning so if anyone wants to take it over feel free :)
    I'm the one in the hollow log and trepod tree camp, playing as Terella. I'll certainly play by the 'don't be a jerk' rules. But the blasted buildings by the castle give me chills. I'd hate to have my hard work undone.
    If you'd like to find the castle again, just go to my camp (if you can find it again), start in the log, head towards the planted fruit trees and just keep going. It's not far at all.
    Conversely, you can find my camp from the castle by going straight out from the castle steps. Please wipe your feet before entering my log. ;)
    Some call me... Terella.

edited January 2016
    Nice! I did manage to find my way back to the castle and your camp; I wiped my feet ;) I think I finally have a proper mental map of the vicinity, thankfully.
    I hadn't seen those burnt out buildings before... Hopefully it was someone destroying their own work or something. I also saw what might have been a tree house that was burnt, and the tree chopped down, out in one of the swampy areas.

I'm making a tree fort in a trepod tree in the swamp, it's a ways from the castle though. On that note, I'd be happy to trade fruitwood planks or other things for stacked fruit wood if anyone is interested.
    I'm a good distance away. You've got to cross the swamp into the plains and I've got my base setup on two adjacent sand dunes (lots of thieving Kinokojin in the area). There's also a Watouwr tree in the area that I've stuck a bunch of large torches too (makes it a little harder to miss) and a healthy population of Bearrams. So, if you come looking for me, be careful! :wink:
    edited January 2016
    So I was playing about 30 minutes ago (1:50-2ish, California time) and got a message that you were logging on Terella, and got all excited to have someone else online at the same time; and then the server stopped responding and I can't join now. I think we crashed it :/ What happened on your end?

I was looking for ya Charlock when things stopped responding; I think you might actually be somewhat close to my base. I'm in the swamp, between a plains biome and a forest biome. If you go to Terella's Trepod and log camp, and then follow the junction of the swamp and forest biome you get fairly close to my Trepod fort-in-progress.
    @DapperHamster I tried to log in, the loading screen got to 100% and then hung. We may have crashed it. :( I tried to log in again and got nowhere.
    Now I know where to find you, I'll drop by. If I don't get lost. Which I do. ALOT! Note to self: Must progress to bronze level and make a return stone.
    Some call me... Terella.

Im trying to fix the server now. Ill get back to you guys when the issue is solved!
    If you guys want return stones, I can make them. I'll harvest some frost stones and hammer rocks and keep them in a chest at my base. If you find me, feel free to use my alchemy table to craft a couple.
    Server should be up now! Sorry for the trouble.
    edited January 2016
    My husband and I are both playing right now, and other than some latency issues (110-150), its working fine. Thanks!
    Some call me... Terella.

Im inviting some people I know to play this weekend on the server.
    It would be nice if we could play everyone together (until the server crashes! hahaha, but I promise to fix it asap! xp)

I'll be there as well!!
  • egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
    Been building my castle
    Someone Z placed a spear on the ground pointing at it. I'm hoping because you found it interesting to look at. Now I'm lost off looking for coconuts but I did find melons which I've planted by my place
    I've done a lot of traveling and must ask, Are there coconuts anywhere in Vakari?
    Egork, I've traveled a lot but I havent found any coconut as well... =/
    Im building a tower near the desert entrance going by the castle. My goal is to build at least 10 floors. Lets see how far I can get..
    Ive got some floors to rent now! lol
    Im not crafting any furniture, so feel free to stop by and help decorating the place!

live twitch stream on the server!
    Are other people having things disappear out of baskets?
    Actually my anvil disappeared, my flatrock from my firepit, all the tools and building supplies from a basket. Is this going to be a thing? I'm all for helping with the research, but what's the point in playing if there are thieves afoot? That's not my sort of game.
    That is unfortunate, but I think unavoidable a lot of the time. It's also a little curious, from the point of view of data collection. It makes me wonder if the mechanisms in place have a way of reporting on thievery!

For your sake, I'd recommend moving away from spawn. That's what I did. It's not a sure fire way to avoid the thieves entirely, but it's better than being right in the middle of the most heavily trafficked area of the world. Also, it's a survival server! Persevere!
    You have pets that are "lockable," where other players can't interact with them. Can you make crates that are lockable?
    I ask this partly because I suddenly can't open my own crates. I'm not sure right now if it's my hardware or the game.
    edited January 2016
    OK it's not my mouse. I can load a single player version of TUG and the right mouse button works. I tried to go back to Vakari and the start button is greyed out. I can't get into the server.

Question: Is your datamining something that can only be done through that one particular server, or if I have the vakari mod and play a single player version, will you get data?
    The data collection can only happen on the Vakari server. It sounds like you're having some connection issues. If the server becomes inaccessible it could be because it is actually down for maintenance or experienced some kind of bug/crash.

Try shutting down TUG completely and starting the game again. As far as the issues you're having with your containers in the game, that sounds like it could also be the server or your machine experiencing some lag. It's also possible that the server DID experience a crash and you were caught in it, so when you went to reconnect, it was just unavailable.

Give it a little time and try to connect again later.
    The server crashed last night, I had to reboot it this morning. Sorry about that =/
    As Charlock said, that was probably the problem...

And (again as Charlock said) I can only collect data when you are playing on the vakari server,

There were a lot of new players these past days. Now we have around 10+ players per day.
    Server crash! 7:21 PM CST.