Do baby animals grow on their own?

CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
Originally my question was going to concern wild animals alone, but I guess it's relevant for both wild and domesticated cubs and kids. If left to their own devices, will baby animals grow on their own?

I do a lot of hunting and because the babies don't yield as much as the adults, I usually let them on their own after I've mercilessly slaughtered their parents... So, you know... Just wondering. :blush:
"I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."

Best Answer

Answers

• WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Due to remarkably bad parenting, cubs and kids are uncapalbe of growing on their own. Adult cats and goats really require adequate teachings included in their society.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed

I don't think they do, giving them a growth potion does the trick for sure :)

Yep, I know Growth Potion works for domesticated animals, which is fine. What I am wondering and increasingly interested in creating as a mod is whether or not all of the orphaned cubs and kids running around my games will ever grow up through eating and/or just existing for a certain amount of time. Sort of like an XP system for critters.

From what I can tell from the Cub/Kid LUAs, there's no system like this in place. In fact, it doesn't seem as thought Cubs/Kids even graze/hunt/scavenge.

A mod like this sounds like a pretty big undertaking, but I think the pay off would be a much more robust wildlife ecosystem. Rather than just waiting on new spawns of adult critters, the babies would actually grow as they age and eat. Maybe it would even be possible to implement wild breeding.

Like I said, a big undertaking and I'm starting out very slowly, but I think this would be a HUGE addition to the immersion aspect of the game and maybe something NK would implement as vanilla, at some point.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • PixelDragon13PixelDragon13 REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 110 Seed
    edited January 2016
    Oh I would love that to be a thing! I never thought or heard about such a system, awesome!!
    TUG Modder
    Twitter: @IKStreamIvo
    YouTube: IKStream!
    Site: Pixel's Web
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    +1 for that idea Charlock
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Thanks guys. I started looking at some scripts last night and... I imagine I'll probably have something to play with around the time of the final release of the game... lol
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 503 Seed
    hehe looking forward to it ;)
    Programmer, designer, artist.