Case Sensitive Player Names (Sort Of)

CharlockCharlock Posts: 293 Seed
While playing around on a multiplayer server, I noticed something interesting. When you have an already established player instance (i.e. "Charlock," with a capital C) and you log out, change the name of your seed with a difference in case (i.e. "charlock" with a loser case c), then log back in, your seed remains the same, but you're dropped back into the world at the original spawn location.

I don't know if this constitutes for a "bug," necessarily or just odd and unaccounted for behavior. I've done this several times and recreated the scenario on each occasion.
"I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."

Comments

• Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel Posts: 191 Seed
    do you retain your inventory?
  • CharlockCharlock Posts: 293 Seed

do you retain your inventory?

You do! The only change that I can see if that you're moved to the original spawn.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    Hmm interesting.
    have you went back as Charlock with a capitol? curious if you go back to Capitol location or old spawn location?
    This could be a beneficial bug, there's been times I've lost spawn point.. hehe.
    of course now I just use debugging to find my way back which usually works.
  • CharlockCharlock Posts: 293 Seed
    Yes, if you log back in with the original player name in the original case, you're placed exactly where you were before you made the change.

I've only tried this with the first letter of the player name, but I would wager that you could do this multiple times, with multiple combinations of case in your name (i.e. Charlock, charlock, ChArLocK, etc.).
    Yeah I bet you are right about any letter capitalized.
    I don't know if this is is now basing on something but I've had the blonde short haired seed everytime lately on new maps when I tried right after the patch released..
    I never tried this bug you got yet though, ( been busy the rest of today unfortunately ) So no time to test either.
    Hmm... as long as it is maintaining the same inventory and not using a duplicated one, it would be good to get your bearings if you get lost.