Ars Arcanus

Comments

• TestamentofTestamentof REGISTERED Posts: 1,234 Seed
    Indeed, That too.

Do we know how many members have transitioned over yet?
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • Marioface5Marioface5 REGISTERED Posts: 57
    Indeed, That too.

Currently there are 262 members for the new forum. The count can be viewed in the Statistics bar at the bottom of the page with all of the boards.
  • LeifLeif REGISTERED Posts: 361 Seed
    Indeed, That too.

7 members have posted in this thread. A few more may have joined but not yet posted. I sent a PM to as many members as I could on the old forums, but I think quite a few are probably still unaware of the new forums.

Hopefully when things pick up they will all find their way over.
    otViQlH.png
    Marioface5 wrote:
    Currently there are 262 members for the new forum. The count can be viewed in the Statistics bar at the bottom of the page with all of the boards.

Yes I know that....
    Leif wrote:
    Indeed, That too.

7 members have posted in this thread. A few more may have joined but not yet posted. I sent a PM to as many members as I could on the old forums, but I think quite a few are probably still unaware of the new forums.

Hopefully when things pick up they will all find their way over.

Good, Good
    MWA HA HA HA HA HA
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
  • AmonostAmonost REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    I would love to join this guild and help in collecting/researching magical knowledge in the world of TUG!

I want to experience all of what magic has to offer in game. So I'll probably be a generalist/ jack of all trades if I can.
    Although, I think mobility will be very important for us mages so whatever magic helps with that I'm there.
    (speed boosts, flight, teleportation, pass through walls, breathing under water, protection from environmental effects, portals/gates)

As far as skills go I'll probably dabble a bit with magic item creation and I will most definitely help in building the base of operations when I find you guys in the world.
    6.jpg
  • Re EvolutionRe Evolution REGISTERED Posts: 1,105 Seed
    Well, it's always nice to have fellow members on board (considering that we're missing quite a few right now :( ), so welcome aboard! I shall be the wandering, magic using anarchist of the guild, so if you want anything chaotic, come to me :)
    5.jpg
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind. ;)
    6.jpg
    Welcome Amonost!

Happy to have another builder on board. :)
    otViQlH.png
  • maxh4ck3rmaxh4ck3r REGISTERED Posts: 3 Podling
    magic in tug sign me up.
    15.jpg
    maxh4ck3r wrote:
    magic in tug sign me up.

Welcome on board :D
    otViQlH.png
  • WigginWiggin REGISTERED Posts: 18
    New members, yay! Did anyone compile all of the things we decided/discussed on ye olde forums? There were some kinda important stuff there, if I recall correctly.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
  • SmartyOf95SmartyOf95 REGISTERED Posts: 394
    So what are your guys ideals and rules? Is it mainly a magic research guild or just a guild where magic users can reside without having to worry about when we'll get attacked next, or both (which would be cool xD)? Are you accepting of all schools (just using schools as a filler cause I have no idea what the magic system will entail) of magic i.e necromancy potentially?
    Ps. just being curious xD I will join based on your answers :P
    - Member of the Arcane Council, the Ruling body of Ars Arcanus.
    Wiggin wrote:
    New members, yay! Did anyone compile all of the things we decided/discussed on ye olde forums? There were some kinda important stuff there, if I recall correctly.

I didn't get to go over all 600+ posts(!), but I do have a handle on what we discussed regarding guild organization. If anyone else has any specifics they remember, please go ahead and post them.
    SmartyOf95 wrote:
    So what are your guys ideals and rules? Is it mainly a magic research guild or just a guild where magic users can reside without having to worry about when we'll get attacked next, or both (which would be cool xD)? Are you accepting of all schools (just using schools as a filler cause I have no idea what the magic system will entail) of magic i.e necromancy potentially?
    Ps. just being curious xD I will join based on your answers :P

Both.

We are first and foremost a collective of magical practitioners. Our headquarters will be our Arcane College, primarily an institution of magical learning. The centrepiece of the College will be our library, where we will store all our magical research for members to access and share.

The guild has a democratic structure, so senior members will have a place on the council and get a vote and a voice in the decision making process.

Members are free to choose which area of magic most interests them. We will be exploring every branch of magic, including dark magic. We have quite a few members already who are interested in researching the dark arts. I feel it's better to understand it and control it than to suppress it. Anyway, as scholars, we're too curious not to learn about it!

All we require is that members respect guild rules (when these get decided), share their research by contributing to our library, and participate in making it a kick-ass community :D

At the same time we will attempt to be as self-sufficient as possible, so members will have a place to stay, be fed, be protected and pursue their magic and non-magic interests in peace and security. We actually encourage those members who have other (non-magical) interests to pursue them since we will need builders, gatherers, hunters, warriors etc. to help in running the organization after all.

Of course we don't require that all members be permanently based at the College. We will likely have other bases (maybe dedicated to particular branches of magic) as well as some itinerant members too, I'm sure. We want everyone to have FUN and play the game in their own way.

That's where we are so far, but there are still plenty of decisions to be made. :)
    otViQlH.png
    Well in that case I'd love to be apart of the guild :D I've been considering playing as an alchemist/healer type based in a village and will be happy to be as source of arcane, botanical and alchemical knowledge for the college. Unless of course I'll be required at the college to teach or participate in any other activities.
    SmartyOf95 wrote:
    Well in that case I'd love to be apart of the guild :D I've been considering playing as an alchemist/healer type based in a village and will be happy to be as source of arcane, botanical and alchemical knowledge for the college. Unless of course I'll be required at the college to teach or participate in any other activities.

Awesome. I'll put you down on the members list. Welcome Smarty :D
    otViQlH.png
    one of the Devs recently posted a thread with a link to the archived forums so if points need to be resurrected you can find them.

That being said I do believe we had more or less decided to run a magic healing/enchanting service
    The Machine is on....

6.jpg

otViQlH.png
    one of the Devs recently posted a thread with a link to the archived forums so if points need to be resurrected you can find them.

Unfortunately the archive only saved the first page of each thread, so most of it is missing.
    That being said I do believe we had more or less decided to run a magic healing/enchanting service

Ah, you're right. Thanks.
    otViQlH.png
    I've been playing around in Alpha for awhile and I have some ideas as to where to build our base.
    Before I go into detail though, do we want to keep this topic secret from non members?
    6.jpg
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Well, now I feel COMPLTELLY as a member of your precious group!
    By the way, I plan on making myself a living spot in some sky island somewhere, but so I don't live so lonely (darn there I am quite the oposite of the real me o.o) I think we can make the island a brand extra base for us to use! C: (and on the way I get a bonus on people to take care of my moa stables lol, just that this thing is just a random thought)
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
    Amonost wrote:
    I've been playing around in Alpha for awhile and I have some ideas as to where to build our base.
    Before I go into detail though, do we want to keep this topic secret from non members?

Hmm. Good question.

Our HQ is going to be public, so we can probably discuss that here. We will have some private facilities for research purposes however.

What does everyone else think?

At any rate we probably need to set up something for private discussion soon.
    otViQlH.png
    Wingidon wrote:
    By the way, I plan on making myself a living spot in some sky island somewhere, but so I don't live so lonely (darn there I am quite the oposite of the real me o.o) I think we can make the island a brand extra base for us to use! C: (and on the way I get a bonus on people to take care of my moa stables lol, just that this thing is just a random thought)

Sounds good :)
    otViQlH.png
    Probably our main base could be open to the public, but have a secondary fortress hidden away that the leaders (?) of our guild go to to hold like some type of information get-together, talking about what magics to share with the world, and what to keep to ourselves
    5.jpg
    Probably our main base could be open to the public, but have a secondary fortress hidden away that the leaders (?) of our guild go to to hold like some type of information get-together, talking about what magics to share with the world, and what to keep to ourselves

Well we previously discussed having our Arcane College built on an adventure server. This would allow us to build something very public / open and not have to worry about griefers or aggressors ruining it (since having to rebuild a library of information each time would be a nuisance).

All our branches / bases built on the survival servers will need to be well fortified as you say, or based in a settlement which is well protected.

Of course, everything depends on how NK implement the official servers.
    otViQlH.png
    Speaking of branches, how are we going to go about those? Oblivion/Morrowind style where there is a branch in each of the main cities that pop up? Or have them spread out in the wilderness, where only a select few can find them? And what about the magic? Will each branch have their own unique focus, or have as much diversity in the houses as possible?
    5.jpg
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Leif wrote:
    Wingidon wrote:

Sounds good :)
    Yay! Just saying it will still stay under mostly my own conditions, because it's basically my house and personal land, but adapted so some friendly magic scholars can research in good conditions.

BTW I think I am going to work mostly as a magical craftsman there, so basically, if possible, I will work mostly on enchantments, spell-combos and toying in many ways with magical crystals which I see tied on my boots to cast spells with stomps!
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
  • ZiafZiaf REGISTERED Posts: 111 Seed
    Speaking of branches, how are we going to go about those? Oblivion/Morrowind style where there is a branch in each of the main cities that pop up? Or have them spread out in the wilderness, where only a select few can find them? And what about the magic? Will each branch have their own unique focus, or have as much diversity in the houses as possible?

My guess would be a little of both. There will probably be too many cities to get a guild branch in all of them, but we should try to expand to most of the major ones, and a few guild structures out in the middle of nowhere as well would probably be a good idea as well.

It had sounded like we would try to have some specializing schools, but Probably one or so of each would be my guess, so the rest of the branches would probably just be general ones. They might also sway a bit depending on the preferences of the members running it.
    True, I guess we'll have to wait for beta to show up before we go in to too much detail.
    5.jpg
    OK. So I have a feeling that the rune stone material will eventually have some sort of magical significance. (component in magic items, totems, artifacts, creating warded barriers?)
    If that is the case then we will need to stockpile a lot of it.
    As of now I have only seen it appear naturally under two biomes. (The Deep Forest and Pine Forest Foot Hills)
    It appears sparingly under the deep forest and copious amounts under the pine forest foot hills.
    Although the game is still in early development and this could change.
    So I'm thinking we start in or close to the pine forests.
    What do you guys think?
    6.jpg
    Personally, it doesn't matter to me. I will be wandering around in the TUGiverse (we need to make this a thing) as soon as beta hits, trying to find all the pretty stuffs. Where we eventually build our homebase is entirely up to you guys. But the forest sounds as good a place as any. Good supply of wood and those rune stones
    5.jpg
    It seems to me that some branches should be dedicated to a particular focus area, while others should be more general. The dedicated branches would be conducive to researching a particular focus areas deeper aspects, while at more general branches, research could go into areas relationships between each other and how they interact. Meanwhile having individual mages across the world could act as independent sources of arcane knowledge that are dictated by the environment such as botany and alchemy.