permanent z-placement

egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
I attempted to color bricks with dye. It wouldn't work on the crafting tables and so I tried refiring them on the stone furnace. I used the z-placement to get the stack of 80 bricks and 10 dyes to fit on the furnace. First off, it wouldn't let me place the stack. I had to click individually, 80+10 to place them. Then I fired up the furnace with a piece of coal and hit G. Nothing happens. Tried several more times in case there was a keyboard issue, same results, no crafting, no colored bricks. Then I tried picking up the items and found that they are now no longer able to be retrieved. I can see them. When I hover over them their item name shows up but can no longer pick the items up.

Comments

• egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
    also placed a flatrock on the ground with the z-key and now it too is permanently stuck in place
    Charlok's suggestion of holding down the F key is working to retrieve items but there's still the issue of why the bricks won't dye. Can they only be colored before you make bricks?
  • CobellCobell REGISTERED, GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 84 Developer
    When you z-place now, we assume it's cosmetic or a more permanent placing, so those items are ignored for the purposes of crafting (except for crafting stations like tables). To craft the bricks, you have to drop those with the 'q' key or dropping them directly out of your inventory.

Is it simply that you can't retroactively dye bricks? I tried the ancient table, the artisan table, the alchemy table, the furnace. It doesn't matter how I place the items q key, z key, one at a time or groups. I think that I tried all possible tools.

It just won't let me dye already made bricks
  • CobellCobell REGISTERED, GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 84 Developer
    Are you trying to dye already made clay brick?

The current recipes for colored bricks are
    16 Clay, the appropriate dye, and a furnace (that is z-place and fueled and is burning. Note it has to be the base Clay and not Clay Brick. The dye and Clay itself should be dropped so they are the floating, sparkling loot drop.
    Yes, someone told me that I could retroactively dye bricks. As far as I can tell you can old dye them as you make the bricks.
  • NekochuNekochu REGISTERED Posts: 244 Developer
    Yes, so you dye them as you are making the brick. You can make a clay brick that has no color to it or you can add in the dye as part of the recipe components to dye the brick during the baking process.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux