glow corn

egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
I'm not sure if this is a bug or just still alpha programming but I seem to remember from the streaming this past sunday that it was supposed to be harvestable and plantable. All I can harvest from it is the cane. I can hover over the fruit and its name shows up separate from the cane but no tool or bare hand seems to be able to get the glow corn itself.

Comments

• egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
    and cutting the cane does not provide the fruit
    ok, the issue was the same as my other question. I wasn't holding down the F key long enough
    Well, I'm pretty sure that this is a bug amusing as it is. I had some glow corn in my hand and went to open a crude crate/chest to put it in and instead planted the glow corn in the crate. It is now growing in and through the crate.
    otherwise the crate still works
    It does not appear to be taking up an inventory slot and the chest is on a cobblestone floor. It is not over hoed ground or even bare earth
    correction: it's growing through the spot on top of the chest that looks like a large leaf, so when the chest is open the stalk doesn't go to the ground. It hovers at the level of the closed lid of the chest
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
    This is amazing. Wild ride from start to finish. I'll pass it along.
    It also never seems to bear fruit. I've even tried to plant successive generations on hoed ground and in the time a fourth generation has grown and fruited elsewhere this one has yet to bear fruit
    you can also plant them in the ceilings of caves, (I was trying to place the glowcorn light lights) but since they grow up, they are unharvestable.
    like lights
    I saw on the streaming thing sunday that what I presume is glowcorn was being used as lights. Apparently there must be a crafting component to it.

Also the food collection baskets don't seem to work for the glow corn. I don't know if that's intentional or not.
  • CobellCobell REGISTERED, GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 84 Developer
    I haven't been able to reproduce this yet, but I'll keep trying.

I was the one placing the lights in the ceiling on the Sunday stream. Those are just the fruit of the glow corn z-placed (so not right clicked) into the ceiling.

Also, it would greatly help readability in the future for bug reports to collect the info all within a single or fewer threads.
    yeah, I was right clicking
    you can see a tiny bit of root sticking out of the ceiling and I also did it in an overhang that I had made that was only one square of dirt thick and you can see a little bit of the tap root in the ceiling and then when you go on the roof there is the plant
    This morning there is a large amount of taproot sticking down into the room from the ceiling. Above, there is still no fruit. If you hack the stalk, there is a shaft available to take, but you have to completely dig it out before you can get it.

Personally, I wouldn't call this a bug. It seems like a perfectly reasonable thing that a plant with dried roots isn't going to fruit and if you want to get it, you should have to dig it out.

I've just been experimenting with it.
    This has got to be a bug. All the corn plants that I had planted and had been harvesting from and all the ones that had not been producing and all the corn seeds in my inventory were simply gone when I reloaded the game. I tried switching out out to a different character then closing everything completely are restarting and it's all just gone. I had not yet gotten around to doing a z-placement as lights so don't know if that would have been affected.

Where the corn grows wild is a fair distance away from my house so I haven't tried to go get more or see if all the corn in the world is gone
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel REGISTERED Posts: 191 Seed
    to harvest your corn, target the corn and press f
    ( this is for all the other folks what didn't realize and tried to hack down the plants hehe )
    I know it took me a bit to figure out.
    As for the corn I find it extremely useful!
    Z placement on walls and ceilings for light is great, but Egork, you are correct it will grow on anything.

Wicker basket and chest, is the easiest to reproduce, as if it is in your hand and you goto open the chest it plants.

Egork, your inventory is static to your character name in a game so if you changed your name in any small way you could lose your inventory ( you probably know this already, but just checking incase :) )
    what happened was that it managed to revert to a pre-corn version
    ugh that doesn't sound fun.
    I figured out the corn thing ones planted on non-hoed ground never bear fruit
    Ahh
    that is good to know!