Question about .dds's and .hkt's

RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 510 Seed
Why do my mod folders get filled up with these two different file types? They seem to be a by-product of the engine. Is it something I need to see or helps performance wise because if not, I'd rather not have to search through the extra clutter.
Programmer, designer, artist.

Comments

• MeldrixMeldrix REGISTERED Posts: 24 Seed
    I think .dds is a directx format that makes a model friendly for the renderer and hkt is a texture version, not completely sure that's what they are but it's what I gathered.
  • NekochuNekochu REGISTERED Posts: 244 Developer
    .dds are created for the textures and .hkt are created for collision files. Each one of these are created and necessary when a new item is added to the game. You shouldn't need to adjust either of these as they are created automatically.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • MeldrixMeldrix REGISTERED Posts: 24 Seed
    Nekochu said:

.dds are created for the textures and .hkt are created for collision files. Each one of these are created and necessary when a new item is added to the game. You shouldn't need to adjust either of these as they are created automatically.

Turns out, I know nothing about these things.
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 510 Seed
    Ah, sorry wasn't clear. I'm talking about afterwards when I've finished playing the game or before I've started up the game. I wish to have "clean" folders as you say nekochu, I shouldn't need to adjust either of them.
  • deasantadeasanta REGISTERED Posts: 12 Seed
    Delete them the enigine will recreate them on startup. Recreating it slows down the startup process a bit.
    Deasanta's TUGs : Website | GitHub | Google+ | TUG community on G+
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 510 Seed
    edited October 2015
    Actually fair point. Did some make shift tests on my start up times.
    fresh machine, deleted all .dds, .hkt --> 2 min 45 seconds
    Restarting TUG straight after --> 55 seconds
    Restarting machine --> 1 min 40 seconds
    Note: times recorded from hitting "play" in steam to hearing the TUG sound.

Side note: Where can I turn that off?

Those are some decent time differences. I think I'll just edit the folder view options.

EDIT: if your on a windows machine the following command will do the trick but you may have to tick hide hidden files - "attrib +h *.dds /s"