as players we shoudl help the server runners by keeping the ground clean if we can. :)

Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel Posts: 191 Seed
Just a thought,
I know the number of objects on the ground will eventually add more to the game lag, if we cut down a tree pick up all the bits, take them home put them in storage, wicker baskets are extremely easy and cheap to make!
If you are farming, this can hep you a lot as well too, put a wicker basket close to your plants or fruit trees. The fruit or veg will fall into it :)
If we keep the terrain fairly cleared, then that will lessen the object count on the servers we play on, and it will reduce the lag considerably! :)
Help the Server owners, and help your self, no one wants to play in lag :)

Comments

• RawrRawr Posts: 508 Seed
    I was talking with Stille recently and it sounds like his server has a fantastic amount of capacity. I'd be more inclined to say hey, everyone jump on now!
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • Hoppa_JoelHoppa_Joel Posts: 191 Seed
    It really is the smoothest running of the servers, I've encountered, however, I do notice a lot of lag when there is junk all over the place.
    I find myself often walking around and picking up junk all over the place. After about 10 minutes of that it seems to run better.
    Ah, sure. Though I think doing so would only hide the problem from the devs... *looks at @Ghost *
    No, in all seriousness though I'm sure NK is aware of this kind of issue.
  • StilleVandeStilleVande Posts: 81 Seed
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for helping out on this perspective guys, and what you are saying is completely true.

The server has to do physics processing for each object on the ground. Every time an object rolls, moves, etc, the server is the one taking the hit processor wise for that object.

Now imagine there are 500 objects in a bowl shaped depression. All of those objects won't be at rest. All of them will be moving a little, compared to the forces of the other objects around it pushing on it.

You can easily see how this can can an impact on a server quickly. :/

That being said, keeping clean while playing helps us out immensely as server admins. It takes unnecessary load off of the system, allowing more players to join.

And thank you for the kind words. I run it because I love making a place for people to enjoy themselves.

It's all about yall. :)
    Seriously, it's Faroese for Calm Water. - StilleVande
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
  • reedooreedoo Posts: 151 Seed
    I posted about this a while back ago, I get severe slow down when the server is trying to feed my client boatloads of object information. There are a number of builds where people are doing amazing things with object placement - but then when the builds get bigger and bigger it takes aggges (I mean ages 5-15mins to load terrain and objects)
    Have you tired the recent update reedoo? I've found that there is still the same amount of lag spiking when lots of people are interacting with the terrain but it does return back to a my "normal" ping.

I think this is because of the recent changes to loot but don't know for sure.