Mod testing group (open)

kokonuskokonus REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 16 Seed
edited September 2015 in Mods

Mod Testing Group

There are some modders working on mods.
But they need to playtest them all by themselves.
Which obviously is allot of work.
So let us, the community, take some of that work and playtest them.

We aim to play the mods and write down what mechanics we think should change.
We also send crash raports and other eventual problems we find.
However in the end it is to the developer to decide what to do with this information.
Finally we give it a star rating from 1 to 5, 1 being unplayable and 5 being unstoppable.

Communication can be done by email, pm or skype.
However if you know a better service to chat through, dont be afraid to tell.
Mod files should be uploaded by the modder(s) to make it easier to aquire it.

Open to mods and testers

Rules

While we dislike rules, there are still some to keep us reliable.
  • Do NOT spread any and all mod files to other people or services.
  • Personal advice may be includes but must be dictated with "I think".
  • Unless you get explicit permission from the mod author you are not allowed to make and share screenshots and or videos.
  • Personal information may not be told to other people without explicit permission
Current playtesters.
  • Kokonus
  • Pixeldragon13
  • Wilson423
  • LostSocks
Current Mods.
  • Whetstone mod by Charlock

How to apply for tester:

• Name

How to apply your mod:

• Mod name
  • Mod description
  • Possibly a picture or two
Ill PM you for further information
Sorry for the bad format, still learning

Comments

• LostSocksLostSocks REGISTERED Posts: 11 Seed
    Brandon, 21.
  • UFIOESUFIOES REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 42 Seed
    I assume you mean that this group is intended to beta test otherwise unreleased mods. I may take you up on this offer.

One thing that I would like to bring up, is the difficulty of testing mods for multiplayer compatibility. Not all modders have access to a computer that can run a client and server at the same time to test for bugs and crashes. For mods which simply add a collection of objects without much scripting, this is not an issue. However, for mods that use more scripting such as Thermobarics and Aerogel, it becomes necessary to test their scripts in a multiplayer environment, where issues which have a small effect on singleplayer are compounded and could potentially render the mod unusable. I think it would be helpful to have a server set up to just test mod's multiplayer compatibility, and eventually the balance between multiple mods interacting in a multiplayer environment.
  • Wilson423Wilson423 REGISTERED Posts: 24 Seed
    Wilson, 44
  • PixelDragon13PixelDragon13 REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 110 Seed
    @UFIOES we're probably not going to make a dedicated server, but just one for short sessions. The reason for this group is for testing, multiplayer is indeed hard to test if you're alone.. But wait, there's a community that might want to test too! :chuffed:
    TUG Modder
    Twitter: @IKStreamIvo
    YouTube: IKStream!
    Site: Pixel's Web
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Mod Name: Whetstone
    Mod Description: Whetstone is a simple addition of a portable item that allows you to "sharpen" bronze tools and weaponry. The whetstone can be crafted without a station (at the sacrifice of a few seconds of time) or at any workstation in the game (which is a little faster). It's a limited use, single stack item.
    Further Detail: I am putting the finishing touches on the coding. I am currently using pre-existing art assets (object/texture), but looking for someone to help me out with that, just to make it a little more original! Once I have a final decision on that piece, I can supply some screen captures.

Let me know what you guys think!
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • kokonuskokonus REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 16 Seed
    Charlock said:

Mod Name: Whetstone
    Mod Description: Whetstone is a simple addition of a portable item that allows you to "sharpen" bronze tools and weaponry. The whetstone can be crafted without a station (at the sacrifice of a few seconds of time) or at any workstation in the game (which is a little faster). It's a limited use, single stack item.
    Further Detail: I am putting the finishing touches on the coding. I am currently using pre-existing art assets (object/texture), but looking for someone to help me out with that, just to make it a little more original! Once I have a final decision on that piece, I can supply some screen captures.

Let me know what you guys think!

Wilson423 said:

Wilson, 44

LostSocks said:

Brandon, 21.

Added all three to the conversation
  • LostSocksLostSocks REGISTERED Posts: 11 Seed
    Hey sorry I havent been much help, in the middle of moving to a new city so i'm a bit busy.
  • kokonuskokonus REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 16 Seed
    Oh dont worry, not allot to test atm so no hurry.
    Also this may help talk to eachother (not sure if it works though)
    https://join.skype.com/i7pg7Xr