Big Creature Suggestion Thread

CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
I'm going to drop this out here, mostly because I've been having some really interesting/funny ideas for TUG-style creatures. Everyone should feel free to post here, but I wanted a central repository for all of my ideas.

Of course, everything posted here is fair game for NK and modders alike.
"I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."

Comments

• CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Name: Bealrus
    Solitary/Social: Social
    Biome: Arctic

This one is pretty funky, but I've recently been playing a lot in the arctic biome and was trying to come up with animals to populate that type of region, without being too run-of-the-mill.

Sort of a cross between a walrus, a beaver and an antelope or reindeer. Very large, blubbery pinniped with a thick coat of dense fur. They have long snouts with pronounced, frontal incisors, used for chewing through pine bark and to help with burrowing. Males have large antlers and females have much less noticeable, snubbed horns. Babies would closely resemble fur seals, but sport a signature, beaver-like tail.

They might be slow moving, but a stampede of a herd of these things would be hilarious.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • xx_hodgiexx_hodgie REGISTERED Posts: 28 Seed
    Arachneetle
    Spider's body with beetle's head

Swamp biome

Behaviors : digs pits for nests and tunnels to connect nest with a queen as a hive mind

It hunts in swarms!!!
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
  • WingidonWingidon REGISTERED Posts: 1,128 Seed
    Magical Dragon bearams.
    I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
    edited September 2015
    Name: Dragoth
    Solitary/Social: Solitary
    Biome: All

A massive and rarely seen creature that inhabits all biomes. Dragoths are largely reptilian in appearance, with the exception of their huge, moth-like wings. Their color schemes change, depending on the area they've come to call home (arctic dragoths might be all white, or have tints of blue to their scales/wings).

Dragoths are solitary beasts, living in large cave systems, for the most part, but have the ability to take to the sky to hunt for livestock (and not to mention Seeds).

If you're lucky or unlucky enough to come across one of these gigantic creatures in the wild, you might fall victim to any number of breath weapon types (fire, ice, poison, etc.).

Edit: It would also be a pretty cool mechanic to have a creature of this type be able to pick things off the ground, animal or Seed, and either carry them away to a nest/cave or just take them higher and higher, then drop them. Just to take the fight out of their prey.
    Name: Goblik

Goblin-like, "humanoid" creatures of reasonable intelligence level. Capable or primitive technologies. Lives in small settlements with rudimentary shelters, tools, farming habits, etc. Slightly smaller than the child-level Seedling in stature. Capable of being friendly or aggressive, depending on the "tribe" or behavior of Seedlings already encountered.

If killed, Gobliks would drop simple tools, armor, resources, etc. Befriending a tribe of Gobliks might come in handy for any Seedling that might be outrunning an enemy or predator and need a distraction or a safe place to lay low while the threat subsides.
  • dunkleosteusdunkleosteus REGISTERED Posts: 1 Podling
    Charlock said:

Name: Goblik

Goblin-like, "humanoid" creatures of reasonable intelligence level. Capable or primitive technologies. Lives in small settlements with rudimentary shelters, tools, farming habits, etc. Slightly smaller than the child-level Seedling in stature. Capable of being friendly or aggressive, depending on the "tribe" or behavior of Seedlings already encountered.

If killed, Gobliks would drop simple tools, armor, resources, etc. Befriending a tribe of Gobliks might come in handy for any Seedling that might be outrunning an enemy or predator and need a distraction or a safe place to lay low while the threat subsides.

Are Gobliks inherently nasty or just a primitive culture?

Are Gobliks inherently nasty or just a primitive culture?

I think they could go either way, depending on their own exposure to outside influences.
    Idea list of additional, small-prey type creatures:

Jackalopes (antelope/rabbit hybrid, seems like a good fit for TUG)
    Squirrel-bats (Not the most creative name, I know. An arboreal rodent with the capability of true flight.)
    Subterranean creatures (rodents, reptiles, pseudo-humanoids)
    Insects (both small and terrifyingly large)
    Aves (I know the files for a "bird" species have been in the core for a while, but I feel like we need quite a few aerial creatures, both predator and prey)

One thing I've noticed on a handful of Steam reviews is that the world seems "lonely" and sparsely populated. I think a few updates that include some new critters would go a long way to fix this.
  • egorkegork REGISTERED Posts: 139 Seed
    edited February 2016
    Didn't notice this thread but mentioned in another thread

Moosephants which can eat fruit trees as well as fruit and vines , step over small walls, probably immune to one handed weapons and stone tools. I don't know how difficult the coding would be but it would be neat if tamed (extraordinarily difficult) they could move logs and boulders.

Boardogs uproot vines as well as eat fruit and meat. If tamed can patrol an area to chase away herbivores.
  • RotsuoyRotsuoy REGISTERED Posts: 13 Seed
    @egork
    MOOSEPHANTS. KGHFKTDCJHGLHLKJBLB.

I actually came to this forum because a friend saw some doodles I had done of ideas I wanted to suggest a while before we all caught wind of the bearam and the moa. I might add the doodles to this thread or make a new one, I'm not sure. There's quite a few of them. Two were a tiger-bear creature (remember, this was before bearams) and a little 'chicken' that looked like a dodo bird. I would love to have small, noisy, chicken-like creatures that ran around pooping eggs the Seeds could snack on, or even corral them into one place for maximum egg-poopage.

Let me just say that moosephants sounds amazing. I want to draw these now. Also, I'm all about tusky wolf/dogs. I must draw these too.
  • RotsuoyRotsuoy REGISTERED Posts: 13 Seed
    Charlock said:

Name: Bealrus
    Biome: Arctic

This one is pretty funky, but I've recently been playing a lot in the arctic biome and was trying to come up with animals to populate that type of region, without being too run-of-the-mill.

Sort of a cross between a walrus, a beaver and an antelope or reindeer. Very large, blubbery pinniped with a thick coat of dense fur. They have long snouts with pronounced, frontal incisors, used for chewing through pine bark and to help with burrowing. Males have large antlers and females have much less noticeable, snubbed horns. Babies would closely resemble fur seals, but sport a signature, beaver-like tail.

They might be slow moving, but a stampede of a herd of these things would be hilarious.

Honestly, this is probably my favorite one you've mentioned, because:
    edited May 2016
    So, considering that we currently have bearrams (which we can potentially tame and use as mounts, pets, and the like), crossbreeding between tamed species, and that certain possibility of having dragons which might, in difficult-and-tricky-but-possible ways be tamed...

I sexually identify as a set of knight full plate armor. I hope you can accept me the way I am; otherwise, check your armor privileges.
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    Flying bears are my favorite! I may have had flying bear animal companions in multiple D&D games >.>
    <.<
    edited May 2016
    I dream of, one day mounting a glorious, flight-capable dragon bear, one clad in heavy armor.
    So far I am already in love with the bearrams that we have ingame, that's a very good thing.
  • NorthwindNorthwind REGISTERED Posts: 20 Seed
    It would be cool if was able to create a monster builder out of preset limbs,textures,sounds and such. kinda the one in spore.
    edited May 2016
    Might be tricky to make it fitting.

Unless you can use lots of MAGIC and SCIENCE to create a machine to create such things out of captured subjects. For science, of course. Just don't expect the gods to approve of the morality of such a thing.
  • NorthwindNorthwind REGISTERED Posts: 20 Seed
    agree it would take one smart mother F***er to make something like that