Issues with terrain since 0.8.6 patch

reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
With the new patch - a lot of different terrain and material types have now popped up - filling my inventory to excess, but there are a random bunch which once mined/gotten I cannot for the life of me "place" from my hand but I must "drop" it from my inventory by dragging it out with the mouse.

- Cotton (from spooky biome)
- Oats (from spooky biome)
- Clay (from the red rock biome)

I also used a crude bed for sleeping and the grass growth (shaders) have reset to the terrain that I have removed from the game, resulting in grass literally growing in thin air.

Comments

• reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    Also sand is another one I randomly am unable to place in certain areas. But sometimes I am able to place it in others. I'll keep trying where it does and doesn't work to see if there is a pattern.
  • NekochuNekochu REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 244 Developer
    To make a connection, it sounds like the ones you are having trouble with are the blocks that place as spheres rather than cubes or rounded cubes. Spheres have always had some issues with placement but you might try carrying larger amounts when placing as the ratio of blocks needed to make a sphere varies depending on the placement situation. Also try placing sphere blocks on mostly flat terrain. We'll look into the weird placement issues some more. Thanks for the feedback!
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • DapperHamsterDapperHamster REGISTERED Posts: 58 Seed
    Did anyone ever figure out anything about the floating grass growing back? It is very irksome, I'm wondering if there's a way to stop it from trying to grow back on dirt that isn't there anymore.
  • CobellCobell REGISTERED, GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS, Developers Posts: 84 Developer

Did anyone ever figure out anything about the floating grass growing back? It is very irksome, I'm wondering if there's a way to stop it from trying to grow back on dirt that isn't there anymore.

I think there's 2 likely scenarios for this:
    1) There might be residual grass voxels in here (especially if this was sloped terrain or you placed/dug as a sphere shape). The voxels are likely very tiny, so you can't find it, you can usually remove it by placing fresh blocks around and in the area, and then removing them again.
    2) There's a known issue that when clients leave and return to an area in a game instance, some older grass textures can pop up. Leaving the server and rejoining can temporarily "fix" this.