TUG Still Supporting Gameplay Research?

FlatfingersFlatfingers REGISTERED Posts: 2 Podling
What interested me most about TUG -- enough to support it on Kickstarter -- was its planned use for researching gamer play styles. The involvement of Dmitri Williams was an important part of that.

One of the rewards at the Core-Forger Extraordinaire level of KS backing promised:

"Access special Nerd Kingdom research and design experiment servers and play with the Nerd Kingdom team!!! Kickstarter EXCLUSIVE EARLY ACCESS to our server data dumps and research project pipeline, perfect for the aspiring researcher!!!"

I appreciate that the funding problems a few months ago, and the new investors, may have changed the focus of the revised development team. Certainly I understand that there's no game (and no game research) without gameplay. So I have no complaints about the progress being reported on gameplay details.

Nonetheless, I'm curious: are there any plans to make good on the promise to KS backers of early access to official TUG servers and their research data? Is the goal of gameplay research even still a thing?

Comments

• CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    This is a really good question and it makes me wonder if there is an all new or slightly modified roadmap for TUG, since the changes you mention took place. Maybe we could get a weigh in on what Kickstarter backers can expect to see and what we shouldn't hold our breath for, as far as the original rewards go.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
  • NekochuNekochu REGISTERED Posts: 244 Developer
    The goal is to eventually get back to a more research driven focus but as this project has moved through its ups and downs some priorities have had to shift. Since we have really been pushing more tech goals such as multiplayer, terrain engine and core engine; data gathering and research items have kind of taken a back burner. We'll get back to this part of the game in time but it may end up being a little further off than we had originally planned.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • FlatfingersFlatfingers REGISTERED Posts: 2 Podling
    Completely understood, and thanks for commenting.
  • Deadlock989Deadlock989 REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    Nekochu said:

The goal is to eventually get back to a more research driven focus but as this project has moved through its ups and downs some priorities have had to shift. Since we have really been pushing more tech goals such as multiplayer, terrain engine and core engine; data gathering and research items have kind of taken a back burner. We'll get back to this part of the game in time but it may end up being a little further off than we had originally planned.

Translation: fuck no, that ship sailed years ago.
  • NekochuNekochu REGISTERED Posts: 244 Developer
    I understand your frustration and anger. It does feel like we're not getting things accomplished but at this stage it really is like rebuilding a car and we've removed and dismantled the engine. There is not much to show because all we have are all the parts laid out and we're piecing it back together.

In most other studios, this process happens over years where the product is not even announced or shown to the public. Yes we launched TUG and it was never in a complete or finished state but we were very up front about how we were going to operate and that the project would be under development in phases. Right now is one of those phases where it doesn't seem like a lot of traction is happening but I can assure you we are working on the core engine and supporting systems.

I understand how this doesn't make sense to a lot of people and can feel like either nothing is happening or the studio has closed. I feel like this fear comes from the idea that everything should be moving at faster paces and this would be true if the project we are working on is just a game built on existing technology. Even in that case, sometimes development can take years before a product begins to take shape. However many people see game development on the front facing end which appears to be months in most cases. This is not true in most cases and especially not possible when dealing with a very complex project that has a lot of dependencies on technology that does not current exist.

I hope this can help with your frustration but I understand if it just feels like more rhetoric that doesn't really answer your specific concerns. At this point, you have to trust that we are not conspiring to take your money and run and that we really do mean what we say and that deep down, everyone on this project wants to make something special!
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • Deadlock989Deadlock989 REGISTERED Posts: 72 Seed
    No, the perception comes from the sheer pace at which you guys were spewing out artwork and tweets and streams and half-finished malarchy of all kinds, until the point where a Chinese investor took over your company, a-roundabout which point all output just ceased.

You are right though, it all boils down to trust. Which I do not have.