Cannot Access Escape Menu.

AuraAura Posts: 15 Seed
The problem is as simple as the title: When in game, I cannot access the main menu (Esc). This has been a problem for several months, but only now have I gotten my forum account password and posted this.
I do Minecraft, TUG (of course), Portal (I and II), and occasionally TF2 and HAWKEN.
I can't even decide on a single username, so I have multiple of 'em.
YAY! Chocolate!

Comments

• CobellCobell Posts: 84 Developer
    Are you running the Steam version or the launcher one?

Try two things for me:
    1) When in game, set the control keybinds to default and see if that resolves the problem
    2) If it does not, shut off TUG. Then go to the install directory of TUG. Go to the config directory and then delete the one file "user_config.txt". Then relaunch the game.
  • AuraAura Posts: 15 Seed
    Cobell said:

Are you running the Steam version or the launcher one?

Try two things for me:
    1) When in game, set the control keybinds to default and see if that resolves the problem
    2) If it does not, shut off TUG. Then go to the install directory of TUG. Go to the config directory and then delete the one file "user_config.txt". Then relaunch the game.

I am running the launcher version.
    As far as I know, all of my keys were bound to the default. So nothing to change there.

So then I tried deleting the user config. I couldn't find the install directory, so I did a File Explorer search and found the file. I deleted it, but the Escape key still didn't work.
    Then I noticed something: At first, my keybinds were in the user_config. But when I found the install directory after deletion, they were not in the user_config file. There was a file called 'keybinds.txt', which had the following config:

System
    {
    TAB = "Show Players"
    Escape = "Return to Menu"
    Ctrl-Shift-S = "Save Game"
    Ctrl-U = "Toggle UI"
    F5 = "Reload Assets"
    }
    }

In desperation, I tried deleting that file, along with user_config. Still no luck.
    When I went into game, I realized that none of the keys were working - except for the mouse movement, I was frozen. (I don't know if left/right click work - probably not).

I looked back in the folder, and saw that user_config was back, but not keybinds.txt. I'm thinking that it was a very bad decision to delete the that file... o_o

Conclusion: I'm in a worse situation then when I started. :^( Please help!
    I do Minecraft, TUG (of course), Portal (I and II), and occasionally TF2 and HAWKEN.
    I can't even decide on a single username, so I have multiple of 'em.
    YAY! Chocolate!
  • CobellCobell Posts: 84 Developer
    edited July 2015
    The file you deleted is what recreates the user_config.txt. You'll need to redownload the game again. You shouldn't need to download the whole thing, the latest versions of the launcher should just download any missing (or out dated) files.

Just to check, what kind of keyboard do you use?