The Fungal Ent Mod

RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 508 Seed
edited July 2015 in Mods

I don't know about you but I'm just not that afraid of cats. I'd like to try modding in this impressive creature. I'd like some help though if anyone's interested. We can use this forum post as a pivot point for discussion/progress as we'll need to cover the following aspects: Modelling, Texturing, Code and Rigging.
I myself want to come in at the coding end of things but will also slowly make my way through the others if no one comes along.
Lastly, I did ask the original artist about whether we could do this and the answer is yes.
Programmer, designer, artist.

Comments

• UFIOESUFIOES REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 42 Seed
    I would love to help, but my strengths go as far as programming and maybe particle effects.
  • RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 508 Seed
    edited July 2015
    No, that's cool. Lemme try do a first pass on the model and textures and then I'll send that your way.
    I usually code first, art assets later. I will start working/experimenting with the AI of a fungal box.
    Yea. Beginner mesh modeller here so this could take some time.
  • DungchunkerDungchunker REGISTERED Posts: 70 Seed
    Hey...this would be pretty cool mod to do. I'll have to look in on this one. :)
    Well, you can't make a smoothie with it!

yes please!
    I tried making a single leg of the Fungal Ent. How does it look?

Nice. Crtl d three times and then its body time.
    edited July 2015
    That sounds like a rather shift-d way to get three more legs, but why not.

How does this look?

I have tried adding a body and head, but they look terrible. Rawr, Dungchunker, if you want to use the legs, here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fq7paedi5d5ix0v/Fungal%20Ent.blend?dl=0
    Mmm dem legs.
    Just don't ask it to go dancing, it has four left feet.

That looks much better than my attempt.
    I will be pretty busy this week, but I will see about diversifying the legs of either model the in week after.

How do you want to add the strands of mycelium? I think there are three options, I will list them in order of performance impact:
    1. Add them as a physical part of the model. (3d). I could help with this.
    2. Add them as a static image rendered separately from the model (2d). I don't know how to do this.
    3. Don't add them. This would be the easiest way, and would have the least impact on performance.
    Alternatively, we could choose both options 1 and 3, and add an option file for "RenderMycelium" which would default to true. I am pretty sure that I will be able to do this, we would only need to use native NK functions to read the file. I would like to be able to switch between rendering the mycelium and not rendering it in code, but worst case we can just add two versions of the data file, and switch between them in code.

The next thing to do would be animations, I have never done any animating ever. But I think that we would want animations for:
    • Walking forwards.
    • Running forwards.
    • Strafing.
    • Jumping.
    • opt: Strafe-Jumping.
    • Melee leg stab (for each leg).
    • opt: Melee leg kick/sweep (for the front two legs).
    • Melee arm punch/strike.
    • opt: Melee arm grab, and throw.
    It would be very intimidating to have an enemy that strafe jumps circles around the player while firing some kind of projectiles, and then when its health is below 50% or the player gets within melee range, charges the player, picks them up, and tosses them, etc...
    Hahaha yes but wooh there. I haven't done animation before either so lets just stick with walking and idling for the moment.
    Also, for the mesh, this is only a base mesh - small amount of verts and tris. What I'll be trying to do over this week is slowly increase the subsurfaces and sculpt out a high detailed mesh. After that I'll cut out the topology for a more performance friendly mesh. I imported the cat model which is somewhere around 3000 verts, so I'm gonna give myself a range of say 3.5-4k verts for the final topology.
    Sweet! Feel like i'm getting somewhere with this mesh.

The fungal corruption part will be added in with this next round of subdivision/resolution :smile:
    yo, @Dungchunker , how you getting on?
    Any progress with your mesh? Having two different meshes for the fungal ent could actually turn out quite well, at least for varieties sake.

And maybe we could get them together sometime and make some baby ents? :blush:
  • DungchunkerDungchunker REGISTERED Posts: 70 Seed
    Going good, Had allot on my plate as of late, not to mention other model interest i've been working on. That's from being ADHD (get side tracked form one project). anyways. I Think I will try and throw something together for this. I'll try and Keep the tris count way down and get as much detail as possible out of a normal map. What you have there is looking good though.
    Well, you can't make a smoothie with it!

• theskyiscooltheskyiscool REGISTERED Posts: 12 Seed
    I would love to see something like this that adds a real threat to the game. Kinda like a passive giant who you would have to respect because they'd mess you up.
  • ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 399 Site Admin
    Coming along nicely! Very cool! :D
    -Dee.
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    This is really looking great, guys! I love the new mesh.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    I've currently bitten off more than I can chew. Going to need to push my way through my other workloads before giving this project any more effort.

Below is a link to my most recent .blend file if anyone wants to play with it in the mean time.
    Rawr's.blend file

Don't miss me too much ;)
  • Raptor5399Raptor5399 REGISTERED Posts: 1 Podling
    I like the Golem design, always fun. Looks like it would certainly fit the new art style as well.
  • Adrian1205Adrian1205 REGISTERED Posts: 2 Podling
    edited December 2015
    Those looks much better than my attempt.
    Fashion covers
    14.09£
    Anyone is welcome to grab the file and remix however they want.
    My focus has change for the moment because I wasn't sure about jumping into animations and rigging. Though, you could leave it as is, create a texture for it and spawn that in-game - it would just seem slightly dead.
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    That brings to mind a pretty awesome idea for how these creatures might behave in world, though. If they stood still and resembled the rest of the forest until the unwary Seed wandered too close, then it stirs from its slumber.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."