Starting to work on Songs Inspired by TUG

BtJakeBtJake REGISTERED Posts: 13 Seed
So I have been watching things from the background with TUG for a while and recently have just been wanting to get into things more. I have been compiling ideas of concepts for new songs to make and really wanted to make a new album with just music inspired by various parts of TUG. From passed builds into even future things that are being worked on. Sadly I just haven't had time for music much anymore with spending more time at work and building my own games for mobile devices. But I have the start of an idea that i wanted to get some feedback on before i move on to see if it is too dark or if there is potential. Also if anyone else has FL Studios and Komplete 10, you are welcome to get the file and work on the song as well.

Check out the song here

Comments

• SimbaSimba REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 74 Developer
    It sounds very nice, good work! Please keep this thread updated if you work on it anymore, I would like to hear a finished product.
  • BtJakeBtJake REGISTERED Posts: 13 Seed
    Will do, I just need to figure out what direction to take the song from there. But as soon as i figure it all out and add some more I will be sure to update here.

• heartup4heartup4 REGISTERED Posts: 11 Seed
    I vote that If a community member makes anything if it be music or another form of media such as a popular mod that it be considered as a possible official update for TUG. Just an idea, like your music BtJake and wouldn't mind hearing more of it while playing tug. It would be interesting to have each biome play its' own unique and fitting song to help with immersion. Of course it should be idle music and have the ability to turn down music volume similar to Minecraft's music system but more advances. Speaking of Minecraft's music system does Dev have any plans on adding something similar to the juke box? Sound tracks such as these could be added through mods to the play list to expand on the system.
    All this white hat and black hat nonsense can't I just choose grey?
  • jon14ukjon14uk REGISTERED Posts: 782 Seed
    I like that a lot it made me feel happy :D
    t63NQg6.jpg?1?9101
    4.jpg
    The Military General for xandertopia :D .
    Overseers
    keepers of Balance
    the Fist of Glory
    Ars Arcanus
    Purus Aeternam
    Naturam Universitatis
    heartup4 said:

Speaking of Minecraft's music system does Dev have any plans on adding something similar to the juke box? Sound tracks such as these could be added through mods to the play list to expand on the system.

I think I remember talking with Ino on twitter and that was something they wanted to do (have discs in the game you can use to play music)
    Me - "@inoritewtf if you ever put music discs in @TheUntitledGame I wouldn't mind helping write a song or two"

Ino - "@btjake @TheUntitledGame that would be pretty rad. We have something on the design side in mind for this. A topic we will share soon."
    But I was also thinking of making a dubstep wand or something so different music does different magical spells but i have just been to busy to learn lua to make it happen.

• heartup4heartup4 REGISTERED Posts: 11 Seed
    That sounds great! I'm still learning Lua and was putting a group of people together to make a mod pack but unfortunately was gone for an extended amount of time due to family situations and am only recently returning and therefore have no idea what the current status of the group 'MUG" is. I would love to help make a wand like you have described and have also found another person on the forums that you might consider working with for they have a very similar agenda and by combining both of them I think something great can come out of it. @FireRuna
    All this white hat and black hat nonsense can't I just choose grey?
    I will have to look into doing music more soon I guess. Right now I have been finishing my first mobile game so just working out bugs and such but once I am done with that I could make music my next big project.

Alright, so I have been having a lot of troubles getting technology to behave itself and actually lost the work I had on this song... but its ok because I have dusted off after loosing my song to corruption and have written a new and better song. Go Here to listen to my newest work and as always make sure to let me know what you think.

• ShadeeShadee REGISTERED, ADMINISTRATORS, Moderator, Developers Posts: 399 Site Admin
    edited August 2015
    Sounds great! Love the atmosphere of it. :)
    -Dee.
  • CharlockCharlock REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 293 Seed
    Yep. Kind of love that! :)

Do you have a plan on how/when you're going to implement it into the gameplay? It really makes me want to start recording my own videos again!
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    I make music for Cambo to use in the tug videos so no plans to make a music mod but I know there is someone who is doing that. I just make music for others to use, share and enjoy

Updated to now have a bit more bass and moved some flute parts around. Just trying to find the right blend of sounds.

It's unfortunate that there isn't a way to implement your tracks as ambiance. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate it.
    "I’ve been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library."
    Well there may be music discs later from what I heard from Ino so I might have some of my songs used for those but you can always just play it in the background as you play, it just doesn't fit the style of audio they want for the game since it would have no source yet

• reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    I kind of wish that TUG had some ambient music that played in the background - something like Helios or Asura (their more 'world music' tracks and less like the heavier electronic based tracks) and music like Eluvium for more 'trigger event' music like finding items part of world lore or golemns or things like that - it's still a bit down-tempo but a little more theatric.

Did anyone ever play Knytt Stories? It was a free-release game (amazingly good small scale platformer), but that had some great mini-tracks in it that weren't too complex but contributed a lot of ambiance to the different biomes and areas in the game.
    I am actually interested to see how they can use the environment to create music instead of having premade songs that just play at certain cue points. Though I do want to play around with the sounds of the crystals at some point to make something that is based around their certain sound and then fit music around that.

If Tug was to have anything ambient here is what i would think it would sound something like.

Something like that would honestly change the entire tone of the way I feel when I play the game. Don't take that as a bad thing, as there is definitely power in music, especially when it's ambient and in a context that incites an emotional response.

You mentioned before you posted the sample that you were interested in playing with the crystals and the tones they make. What you posted sounds fantastically inspired by that very thing. It's very complex, but it's made that way by what I'd call "simple" sounds. It almost reminds me of panflute.

Thanks for posting it!
  • reedooreedoo REGISTERED Posts: 151 Seed
    So that Noisy Forest track is very mush like Knytt Stories - they had layering on all their ambient tracks - so there was the sound effects of the area you were in (wind, trees, dripping, etc.) which was layered with some very simply ambient music. It gave the game a very basic but complex sound. It was really enjoyable.

All the game music files are .ogg and you can grab it from the game data folders to get an idea (it's a free game http://nifflas.ni2.se/?page=Knytt+Stories )

When I was writing that song, I was just trying to think of what would make sounds to add to the music. I think a cave would really have a lot of cool sounds to play with to make music like tumbling rocks for the beat, the crystals (which I did just pull the sound from the game, converted them to mp3 from ogg to use with a sampling tool to make an instrument) and the wind in caves can also have tones because each cave is a different size so they could make nice long droning tones. But with the forest, I thought that maybe as wind passes by certain trees they vibrate to make the pan flute sound. Also maybe when you hit a crystal it makes the sound instead so you could play them like a xylophone. I know nerd kingdom just isn't at the part of production where they are adding sounds to the game, they have bigger (whole engine reworking) to worry about so I think eventually when they have the time and have their own audio engineer they will add something similar.