The Unknown Server - Survival

StilleVandeStilleVande REGISTERED Posts: 81 Seed
edited October 2015 in Servers
Welcome to The Unknown Server's thread. The server is an unofficial TUG server ran by some of the playerbase community.

You can connect at any point and time using the FQDN of tug.stillevande.com in the TUG client.

We also host a Starbound and Minecraft FTB Infinity Server!

Starbound server can be connected via:
starbound.stillevande.com port 21025

Minecraft FTB Infinity Server can be connected to via:
minecraft.stillevande.com port 25565

You can get the FTB Infinity Client here:
http://ftb.cursecdn.com/FTB2/launcher/FTB_Launcher.exe

NOTE: You have to use Java 7 (preferably 64bit). Java 8 will not work. You can get Java 7 here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

You can connect to our TeamSpeak server via"
voice.stillevande.com

Our forum website is http://tug-theunknownserver.enjin.com/

We highly encourage all public clans to participate, and on a PvP standpoint, it must be consensual between both parties, unless your person or property is threatened.

Listening to the Devs, we expect to have a maximum server player count of around 15 or more.

Here are the following specifications of the dedicated server:

Firewall:
Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall with QoS set for udp/6600

Switch:
24 Port Dell PowerConnect Gigabit managed switch.

Server:
2x Xeon 5650 Processors (12 physical cores w/ Hyper-threading = 24 cores)
72G ECC Registered DDR 3 Memory
4x 64G Intel Extreme X25E Solid State Drives set RAID 0.
Automated daily backups.

Operating System:
Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Internet speed:
100Mb/s Down - 9Mb/s Up

All of this hardware is privately owned, so there are no rental fees for this community.... ever. :sick:

Seriously, it's Faroese for Calm Water. - StilleVande
regular-banner-3.png
regular-banner-1.png
regular-banner-3.png
regular-banner-2.png

Comments

• StilleVandeStilleVande REGISTERED Posts: 81 Seed
    edited June 2015
    *padding for future information*
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
  • SimbaSimba REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 74 Developer
    Just so you know, you won't be able to password protect servers right now. It's probably best to leave your IP hidden and use that as the password.
    edited June 2015
    Good call, thanks man. :)

Fixed everything up. You need to register on the gameservers forum now to get the connection info.

Thanks again man!
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    edited June 2015
    Guess what I have in my gnarly old hands thanks to Ghost.

The server binary. :)

I have full greenlight to go forward and start the dedicated server. But Id like to get everyones opinion on which seed to use before we go into full production.

Go ahead and post here the seeds you would like me to try (if anyone has any of note). I will be spinning up the server tomorrow tonight and go thru any seeds that were requested.

If not, we will keep re-genning worlds until we find one everyone likes. :)

Login information can be found in our forums, and I will set the schedule tomorrow tonight for the time we will be world genning.

Stay tuned!
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    edited June 2015
    I have spun up the server for now for players to come in and stress test it before we start looking for the world we are going to use in production.

Also, due to the sensitive nature of to beta dedicated server, no staff members will have access to the dedicated server.

Just a heads up.

regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    We now have a Twitter account! You can follow us at:

https://twitter.com/The_Unk_Server

regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
  • gbusrtgbusrt REGISTERED Posts: 50 Seed
    is the server only up at set times or down at the moment
    It was down for a short time. Please remember, we are running the first incarnation of the dedicated binary. So, we are finding stuff inside of it that shouldn't act the way it does.

It doesn't happen very often, but rarely, it does crash. This was one of those times.

That being said, if your client crashes, or you find a bug, make sure you post it in the bug section.

Any and all bugs we find will make the binary that much more stable. :)
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    Remember to read the Server Etiquette section. It will show things that impact performance and/or tank the server.

http://ow.ly/ORmsa
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    We are giving a game away to the person that makes the best homestead on the server by Sunday night @ 8PM Central.

The list of games are:

Serious Sam 3: BFE
    Sanctum 2
    Thomas Was Alone
    Dear Esther
    Awesomenauts
    To the Moon
    The Binding of Isaac + Wrath of the Lamb DLC
    Dungeons of Dredmor Complete

So, start building people, lets see what comes from this give away. :)
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    Stillevende
    the lag is not just affecting me it hit two other while i was online
    yound and max
  • LostSocksLostSocks REGISTERED Posts: 11 Seed
    I was looking for the registered users section, but I can't seem to find it.
    Right after you register on the website, go look at the forums. It will appear on the top section of the forums.

gburst: The Dev team believes they found the source of the issue. Until it fixed though, we may have to disable the script on the server thats doing it.
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png

gburst: The Dev team believes they found the source of the issue. Until it fixed though, we may have to disable the script on the server thats doing it.

cool nice to see a possible fix so quickly

well that lag killed me i could not eat and was killed cause i die of hunger
    digging fantom blocks lagtastic
  • Youngy798Youngy798 REGISTERED Posts: 905 Seed
    It seems that every so often I get terrible block lag where it will take 10+ seconds for a block to actually place.

Block placing itself seems to be fairly slow for me, and digging. Maybe that's just TUG though.

Other than that the server is going very well, we have an awesome little town with farms, mines etc.
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
  • CrazyShadowyCrazyShadowy REGISTERED Posts: 98 Seed
    edited June 2015
    I was fooling around with the /teleport command on the server earlier and kept falling through the world, so I then relogged to try and fix it but since logging off I can't log back on at all. I don't know why or whats causing it but I think everyone should avoid the /teleport command till this is fixed

Edit: It seems as if I broke the only TUG server in existence by using the /teleport command. No one I know can get onto the server either

Edit again: I just made a world record for the first and fastest time in breaking a TUG server I now am a world record owner and that will be my record for my whole life. Since it is the first I hold the world record for breaking the first ever TUG server and another for fastest time doing so the server was only up about 2 days
    Yeah, it seems as though teleporting spikes all 24 cores at 95%.

Ill add it to the etiquette thread.

Server is rebooted. Keep away from teleport please. :p
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    I think the server died again
    Hello there! I am Youngy future owner of Plainhold (hopefully), go read the topic about Plainhold, and the Lemurian Empire, maybe also some of my other posts, like my mining suggestions! :)

Bye!
    Back up!
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    that was quick :D thanks

Bye!
    edited July 2015
    WELL THE LAG

ran to the edge of render distance and ran off world ,after falling for 5 min i decided to ask if they are looking at the lag issue

login in to is fun +5min before i get in

chest, open chest it dose nothing, get board run around and suddenly i see open chest inventory while i am a long distance from chest
    wow did the post above with my seed still falling and went back to game and he still falling, he can fly its a pity its only downward
    well had to quit, if i starve the first thing i know is i die no time to eat as lag kills me before i know i need food :(
    gburst, I don't know what to tell you there bud.

When the server is in Dallas, and you are in the UK, latency tends to happen at those distances.

Can't get away from physics. :(
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    edited July 2015
    nuts thought you hinted that it may have been a code issue, was hoping for a code fix

play on my friends Minecraft server in Canada (Barrie), get lag there to but now ware as bad as on the TUG server. the lag just make the game unplayable :(

when my ping settles down on the TUG server its comparable to the Canada connection 150 ish

on the server now ping 140ish no problems
    I am going to be making a new map soon.

See if we can find a good starting map. The map we are running is just the default one that was made when Ghost and I fired up the server the first time.

More info coming soon!
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
  • docdoc REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 6 Developer
    gbusrt said:

nuts thought you hinted that it may have been a code issue, was hoping for a code fix

play on my friends Minecraft server in Canada (Barrie), get lag there to but now ware as bad as on the TUG server. the lag just make the game unplayable :(

when my ping settles down on the TUG server its comparable to the Canada connection 150 ish

on the server now ping 140ish no problems

The problem is not really "lag", although it may visually show itself in that way. The issue is more about prioritization of task being processed on terrain. Essentially the sever generates small pieces of terrain under every player that is connected. Your local client generates the terrain you see, but the server must generate a patch of terrain under every player so it can be authoritative on physics and game calculations. Also, every modification to terrain must be processed by server to ensure consistent environment for everyone playing (also to prevent cheating).

At this point in time, we gave all generation task a higher priority on the server so a player would not fall through the world as they ran. So essentially what you are seeing as "lag" is the server getting overwhelmed with terrain generation task, and is holding off on processing any terrain modification task. This definitely gives the appearance of "lag", but essentially its just a delay in actually processing the terrain modification task.

Having a lower ping is not going to have much of a difference (if any) on this issue, as it looks like our movement and synchronization algorithms are still holding up pretty well. Also remember this is test release of dedicated server, and we are super happy to have people like you and @StilleVande out there testing our stuff and helping us find these types of bugs. Its hard to get this level of testing in house as it requires a large number of people to be playing all doing different things to get solid stressing of the game.

I know @Ghost is keeping track of all the bugs that are being identified, some can be fixed quickly, others (like the terrain task thread priority) will have to be worked into our development timeline and will most likely take much longer.

Thanks for helping us develop TUG!
    Doc

Twitter: CoreyClarkPhD
    It's been decided to open up the world in a public sense. All players can connect to tug.stillevande.com

Say that, there is a new map in place this weekend!

Come join us and let's see what kind of damage we can do this weekend. :)
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-1.png
    regular-banner-3.png
    regular-banner-2.png
    Wierdly on this new map my block 'lag' is gone. I was smashing blocks and building and there wasn't any noticeable delay

Bye!