Death of Seeds--- is there an after life? and yes... I wanted this to sound dramatic.

josiah-gamingjosiah-gaming REGISTERED Posts: 19 Seed
So i have (and I'm sure we all have) seen the videos showcasing seeds being able to grow from child to teen seed. I have wondered though if the seeds will eventually be able to grow old and die. Such a mechanic would be interesting to see in a video game. In my opinion, which let's face it, I am not a developer so don't read into this, dieing while in single-player TUG would kind of suck. You would make your character, play, and no matter what,... they would die. It wold just be a huge inconvenience.......... Multi-player on the other stone filled shiny hand.... (see what I did there?) would actually make sense. Our characters are called seeds. What do seeds do? Well, seeds grow, like our characters, and they re-populate, then die. Of course this means I am talking about multi-player enabled creation of kids, or 'new seeds" Now don't freak out just yet, because I know that most people probably don't wanna play TUG and go find someone else in their randomly generated world to make a "kid" in first person mode. I am thinking more along the lines of... your seed is old, you are incredibly advanced, you have the best tools science and magic can make. But this seed did not turn how you expected. You hunted too many cats in your days and you would rather have gone the route of science-y wizard rather than brutish hunter. Well don't worry, you are a highly advanced seed this late in the game. This means that you (working with others in muli-player) can create some sort of ancient relic that allows you to combine the power of the stones in your hands to create a new seed! (I'm spit-balling here because I have no idea how seeds are created in the games' lore.) now with this new "seedling" nothing happens at first because you, or the person who helped you make it are still alive. The new seedling would act like an AI that just sticks around. But this AI has it's own inventory which allows you to add all your items and gear to it. Once you die that little blue floating orb appears. But instead of just dieing and re-spawning (admit it you have died in TUG,.. those cats are mean!) this time, in multi-player, you guide the little blue orb into the body of the new seedling you created to start a whole new character. But this way you don't have to start from scratch. This would allow players to re-experience the game, learn from past character's outcomes like body shape and abilities, and it would allow them to create what would resemble a family "tree".... they are "seeds' after all. It's just an idea, but i had it, and for better or worse, thought I would put it out there to see what everyone thinks of it. Would you want to see something like this in multi-player?... if so tell me, ... if not.... I guess you can also tell me. ;)

Comments

• RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 506 Seed
    I'll indulge this. And extend it. Perhaps you've found various scrolls scattered throughout the game. Sat down to study them and learnt that it's possible to interface between other creatures that have infused blue crystals (similar to the one on the back of your seed's hand). Through experimentation, you've been able to momentarily take control however it's been immensely draining on your neuria (magical energy). You go in search of runes and magic to further hone your ability.
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • mercormercor REGISTERED Posts: 64 Seed
    A legacy system sure would give characters nice extra layer of depth.

And it should be more or less possible to be modded in to the game already with current mod tools.

Family systems aren't that common in games, but there's some nice ones used in games.

Rogue legacy, if I remember the name correctly had one where every time you died, the next life would be the next child in family tree. Every child has different perks that makes them bit more unique. Likewise system that would inherit random perks from parents might be interesting.

Crusader kings has a system where your game continues as long as you have heir alive when your current character dies. Given that land ownership largely is based on inheritance, it kind of gets important that you plan ahead how your family tree will turn out.
    Modder in making. Point of Interest mod - Now with GUI

twitter: @mercorinred
  • mercormercor REGISTERED Posts: 64 Seed
    Oh, and raph koster mentioned in a star wars galaxies post mortem blog post about a planned feature that was never implemented.

According to the post, one of the original ideas for jedis was a system were Jedi characters had only one life. They would start lowbies and get more powerful by time, but keeping them alive would also become harder after time passed. Finally jedis could reach their level cap and eventual die.

The interesting feature idea here was that player could then on his normal characters summon the spirits of his deceased max level characters. The spirit jedis would just stand there, but would kind of act as an indicator of that players game history and achievements.
    Modder in making. Point of Interest mod - Now with GUI

twitter: @mercorinred
  • josiah-gamingjosiah-gaming REGISTERED Posts: 19 Seed
    Rawr said:

I'll indulge this. And extend it. Perhaps you've found various scrolls scattered throughout the game. Sat down to study them and learnt that it's possible to interface between other creatures that have infused blue crystals (similar to the one on the back of your seed's hand). Through experimentation, you've been able to momentarily take control however it's been immensely draining on your neuria (magical energy). You go in search of runes and magic to further hone your ability.

LOVE that idea! would make it extremely worth while looking for dungeons. And in stead of just being a high tier character, you could start training to controll other characters at a lower level by controlling animals... that's great.