False Advertisement

VagabondVagabond Posts: 3 Podling
Hello,

I'm unsure whether or not it was intentional on Humble Bundle's or Nerd Kingdom's part to mislabel the current 85% off sale of TUG for steam or not, but I'd like to suggest the tag be removed.

Currently (85% off) TUG is tagged as a steam redeemable game on Humble Bundle rather than with the DRM free tag. I very nearly bought it under the assumption that it was a steam version because of this mislabel. It looks like others have bought it under these false pretenses, or at least were confused by it.

This is wrong. I understand that it puts your game in the spotlight more, but it is wrong to label something as a steam game, and in the store page have it say "Nope, sorry, not a steam game... But wait! Here is a link to our store to buy the steam version at the normal price!"

I don't mean to sound combative, but I would have been genuinely upset if I hadn't read the storepage fully and just bought it. I understand that it is only a dollar, but it is the principle of the matter. Not the money. I only buy steam games, if I were to be tricked or mislead into buying something, I wouldn't be a happy camper.

Cheers,
Michael

Comments

• cambocambo Posts: 152 Developer
    I am reaching out to Humble bundle about this as the sale period was originally not for a Steam key. It's a possible error but we are looking into supplying Steam keys because it was throwing users off who did not read the description. As of now, you will have the option to pick a Steam key if you purchase it. We are removing that little note.
  • supahzsupahz Posts: 2 Podling
    I'm with Vagabond... I game through Steam. I've given away keys for non-Steam games (like Desura) because my family plays on Steam (or battle.net) and I can't be bothered. Kind of irritating situation here. However, because I support what look like quality Early Access games, I went ahead and bought the newer Humble deal to get the Steam key.
  • LostBoyLostBoy Posts: 14 Seed
    I have some confusion somewhat along the lines of the description on Humble Bundle and the lack or difficulty of finding the info on Nerd Kingdom's site.

No where does it say this is an Online only game, but booting up into Single Player mode it appears that this game is transferring data across the Internet while playing.

Really confused here, what's going on with this?

I really don't want a Single Player game this requires an Internet connection to play, can you clarify this?

• SimbaSimba Posts: 74 Developer
    When you run the game in single player it will create a local server and connect to itself. It's a bit sloppy, but we decided to do it to get the multiplayer release out sooner. The game does not connect to the Internet when playing in single player, though you still may receive firewall popups due to it opening a local listening socket.
    Thanks for that.

The Launcher.exe seems to be more active, but launching via the TUG.exe there is still an attempt to connect to http://url123.info/e6ae7d39, which just seemed really odd.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 3 Podling
    edited May 2015
    cambo said:

I am reaching out to Humble bundle about this as the sale period was originally not for a Steam key. It's a possible error but we are looking into supplying Steam keys because it was throwing users off who did not read the description. As of now, you will have the option to pick a Steam key if you purchase it. We are removing that little note.

cambo,

You went above and beyond what I expected; I assumed I'd be flamed, ignored, or at best given a "We'll look into it" (and then it just running until the sale is finished).

I am impressed. Speechless. I can't express enough how much this act of benevolence has endeared me to your company.

Thank you.

Cheers,
    Michael
    LostBoy said:

Thanks for that.

The Launcher.exe seems to be more active, but launching via the TUG.exe there is still an attempt to connect to http://url123.info/e6ae7d39, which just seemed really odd.

How are you determining this? I will look into this for you, but I can't imagine why we would link to such a site.

I would also recommend that you do a virus scan if you can, it seems that url123.info has a history of malware.
    Task Manager -> Performance tab -> Resource Monitor at the bottom -> and then boot TUG and go into game.

I did a Malware bytes scan yesterday, I'll do a full Virus Scan today to see if anything comes up.

Thank you.

When I launch the game through Steam, I do not see TUG on the list of processes accessing the network. When I start a single player game, I see only the listening socket and a connection to itself (127.0.0.1).

Are you saying you saw something different on your's?

edited May 2015
    So I spent the day running different Virus/Malware/Rootkit scanners trying to find out, I didn't get any Virus or other hits.

I decided to insert the odd connection address into my Hosts file and reroute it to 127.0.0.1.
    To my surprise, this odd address was already being rerouted to 127.0.0.1,
    The date of my Hosts file is 5/8/2012, I'm not even sure I was running Win 7 at that point in time.

So apparently this all a big toodoo about nothing, I'm just not sure why the 127 address is being aliased to the address I posted.

I'm going try an experiment on my Hosts file and see if it changes, it will at least give me peace of mind should I forgot about this and come across it again.

Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT :

I added NULL.Loop.Back as the first entry into my Hosts file, and now that shows up instead of the Url123.info one.
    Don't recall seeing the Hosts file behave like this before, but it's been a long time since I've had a need to fool with it.
    No worries as long as we can get to the bottom of it. :)