Domesticating animals

SilasETBSilasETB Posts: 30
edited April 2015 in Gameplay
Really excited to try this. But having some trouble so far. Here's what I've found.

We have a desert pretty close to our base camp. So I built a path to make it easy to get there and back. Spawning in the desert we have goats, cats, those annoying little guys, and bearrams. We have seen babies of everything but the little gremlin things. Have fed several baby goats, and get the little heart icon appearing immediately after feeding. But that is about it.

After feeding the babies, they will follow for about 4 steps. Then they stop cold in their tracks. No more following, not really wandering either. Tried right clicking to toggle sit/follow and nothing.

Eventually another adult goat will spawn and then then follow that one.

Any help?

Comments

• Red AgliatorRed Agliator Posts: 307 Seed
    SilasETB wrote:
    Have fed several baby goats, and get the little heart icon appearing immediately after feeding. But that is about it.

After feeding the babies, they will follow for about 4 steps. Then they stop cold in their tracks. No more following, not really wandering either. Tried right clicking to toggle sit/follow and nothing.

Any help?
    It sounds like you haven't quite finished the taming process. It takes a lot of feeding to win over a baby critter. Well, a lot of feeding when they are hungry. So keep trying.

Once you finally tame a critter, you'll see a new animation just after feeding. With goat kids, I think it's a ton of floaty hearts. I can't remember what the "tamed" animation is for other babies. (It might be the same.)
  • SilasETBSilasETB Posts: 30
    Cool, that worked. Thanks!

Any tips on growing em to adults? Can we breed em too?
  • NekochuNekochu Posts: 244 Developer
    Right now, the only way to tell if they are fully tamed is to watch for the change in how they are following you. Partially tame critters will only walk to follow you while fully tamed ones will run or trot behind you when they are your pet. With the next update we'll be adding in collars and sit animations to make it much clearer when they are your pets and at what state they are currently in.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • TeknonickTeknonick Posts: 166 Seed
    Nekochu wrote:
    Right now, the only way to tell if they are fully tamed is to watch for the change in how they are following you. Partially tame critters will only walk to follow you while fully tamed ones will run or trot behind you when they are your pet. With the next update we'll be adding in collars and sit animations to make it much clearer when they are your pets and at what state they are currently in.

Oh no! No collars! D:... Don't copy Minecraft!

I like how you can't tell if it's wild or not... perhaps you can CRAFT collars to put around animals (Both tamed AND wild... evilness!)? Maybe the animals will very rarely claw them off, so you might freak out until you figure out it's still your pet. lol

Also, with breeding in the future, and with the promised Guardian/Mount variants of pets, our cats/goats should eventually grow up into these types, then you shouldn't have any confusion. Oh, and just regular variants will make it easier to tell too, especially if it's enough to not run into the same exact one every few IG weeks.

EDIT: Oh, is it possible to make it so the pet Cats will actually protect us? Cus... they usually just scare me half the time, forgetting which one's tamed and which one's not.
    The mix between the Adventurer and the Trapper yields the Tracker. Living in humble homes to help those in need. Always looking for the right coin, yet never theft is in their eyes.
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
  • NekochuNekochu Posts: 244 Developer
    The pets are just that, they will never have any other abilities than to stay near you and look cute. After you have raised one into an adult, they become a guardian and can protect you and hunt with you as well as being able to breed to produce more babies.
    Twitter: @X_Nekochu_X
    Tumblr: xnekochux
  • xx_hodgiexx_hodgie Posts: 28 Seed
    So when are we going to add Wolves or something like it? I want to be a Hunter with a Pack :D

Also can our Guardians / Pack or Herd be Geared out with armor?
    11.jpg
    12.jpg