Tired of getting lost? Try a Lodestaff™ today!

Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
edited April 2015 in Custom Objects
Imagine that you want to be able to always return to one particular spot in the world of TUG. Isn't there some way to tap into the energy of that area, to connect to it? To bind some of the world's neuria so that you can carry it with you but it also always stays connected to its gathering point?

The Lodestaff mod adds this ability. I wrote it so new Seedlings would have a navigation tool that is more basic than a map or return stone. The lodestaff's abilities are intentionally weak, to make up for how easy the recipes are.

8Ky8vPb.png
Apologies for the horrible video quality. It's my first gameplay video ever!
Download here (for TUG alpha v0.8.4)
See the readme.txt for installation instructions.

CAUTION!
This may break things! Back up your saved games before using, and don't stake anything important on the staff working correctly.

Changes:
(0.0.4, 14 April 2015) Updated for 0.8.4; no longer requires CommonLib; wisps now blue only
(0.0.3, 31 March 2015) Works in multiplayer. (Thanks to Johny Cilohokla!)
(0.0.2, 24 March 2015) New version, replaced recipe for powerful lodestaff (now as originally intended)

Of interest to modders:
- The script for the powerful staff uses and expands on the movement code in AICharacter.lua (v0.8.3). For this version, I stripped out the state machine so I had an easier time telling which code bits were for state and which were for movement/animation. Eventually, I'd prefer to sub-class from the built-in character scripts.
- The custom chat command handlers let the engine spawn things for them, so the mod's custom spawning should improve as the engine does.

Comments

• Wilson423Wilson423 REGISTERED Posts: 24 Seed
    This is awesome! I love it!

My only suggestion:
    Is get the energy moving a bit faster. I never walk anywhere... =)

But still a good tool for those easily distracted... like me.. :lol:
  • Red AgliatorRed Agliator REGISTERED Posts: 307 Seed
    Lodestaff 0.0.3 now works in multiplayer. (Thanks, Johny!)

I added a video to the main post so you can see the lodestaff and wisp in action.

No changes to speed/motion yet. I have some ideas that should lead to faster movement (rubber banding, player anticipation), but just playing around with them for now.
  • TeknonickTeknonick REGISTERED Posts: 166 Seed
    OP? Naw! I think it works beautifully! The slowness it has makes up for the easy materials. Perhaps a bronze version that moves faster? Maybe a super bronze one where the wisp makes you faster too!?
    The mix between the Adventurer and the Trapper yields the Tracker. Living in humble homes to help those in need. Always looking for the right coin, yet never theft is in their eyes.
    21.jpg
    20.jpg
    Teknonick wrote:
    OP? Naw! I think it works beautifully! The slowness it has makes up for the easy materials. Perhaps a bronze version that moves faster? Maybe a super bronze one where the wisp makes you faster too!?
    I like the idea of a bronze version. I already had the recipe figured out, I just hadn't brainstormed the upgraded power. So many possibilities!

And thanks. It's good to know it's useful to other folks, too.
  • PixelDragon13PixelDragon13 REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 114 Seed
    Teknonick wrote:
    I like the idea of a bronze version. I already had the recipe figured out, I just hadn't brainstormed the upgraded power. So many possibilities!

And thanks. It's good to know it's useful to other folks, too.

Bronze ideas:
    The stick made out of Hardened wood, they give more light when they're closer to the waypoint.. They will keep cats away (if they didn't already)
    TUG Modder
    Twitter: @IKStreamIvo
    YouTube: IKStream!
    Site: Pixel's Web
    Updated to work in TUG v0.8.4, and without the CommonLib mod.

The only noticeable difference should be that the energy balls have turned blue.
  • docdoc REGISTERED Posts: 6 Developer
    I really like this Mod Red Agliator! I have got lost way to many times.
    Doc

Twitter: CoreyClarkPhD
    doc wrote:
    I really like this Mod Red Agliator! I have got lost way to many times.

Thanks! Me, too!

Maybe I should put that in the challenges sub-forum: can you got lost more than I have?
  • FireRunaFireRuna REGISTERED Posts: 38 Seed
    I usually start discover every possible location in games (even if I suppose to fight monsters instead), so after couple of hours I'm finally getting lost :)
    Sure, this Mod will be very helpful for player like me...

Thanks Agliator!
  • Wilson423Wilson423 REGISTERED Posts: 24 Seed
    Anyone else have problems with this in 0.8.5 ?
  • GhostGhost REGISTERED Posts: 74 Developer
    Nothing like enabling our users to chase after shiny objects! :D

I like it!
  • ekohrmanekohrman REGISTERED Posts: 87 Seed
    I couldn't get the Lodestaff 0.0.4 to work in version 0.8.6. This makes me sad because I get lost ALOT. I guess the return stone will do instead. I hope I can remember to set the stone BEFORE I get lost. Odds are... no.
    Some call me... Terella.