Trying out hosting a server?

ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
edited March 2015 in Servers
In this thread I'll post when I decide to host a server, usually 5pm Arizona time Saturdays or Sundays.

Server IP is 68.228.33.188:6600

Make sure you have Johny and Sigil's SteamPower loaded: http://forum.nerdkingdom.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1626

And here's some resources:
TUG Crafting http://tug.ovh/crafting/tug-search.html
SteamPower Crafting http://tug.ovh/crafting/steampower_custom.html
SteamPower Guide http://tug.ovh/crafting/steampower_custom.html

Given my internet connection and computer specs, I predict I could host 3-4 players, but I'll allow as many as want to play until it melts or has performance issues. Sometimes there's a lot of lag, let me know, sometimes reloading the world helps.
I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
TUG modder (at least in the ounce of free time that occasionally flits by)

Comments

• RawrRawr REGISTERED, Tester Posts: 508 Seed
    hey if you got something ready, I'll jump in
    Programmer, designer, artist.
  • ZakeZake REGISTERED Posts: 216 Seed
    I'll try and see if I can set it up by 5pm, not sure if I'll need to do any port-forwarding.
    I think more than I say and say more than I do, but I do more than I used to and plan to continue.
    It's live, the IP should be 68.228.33.188:6600.
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
    I'm glad you guys are enjoying the mod. Sorry I couldn't stay. My connection is poor.
    I'm actually rather surprised it worked as well as it did. My upload speed is only about 3MB/s so that could be part of it too. I'll probably try to do this semi-regularly, maybe most weekends. Perhaps we can even add more mods to the mix as they come out.

It's funny, Rawr didn't report any issues from New Zealand, though I noted his ping was about 150 vs my 0 and my roommate's 2. I would have thought you would have had an easier time from Seattle. (I'm in Arizona.)
  • SigilSigil REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 678 Developer
    Yeah but my ISP is the devil and I share internet with a household. Not great for gaming.
    HA! ~150ms is what I use to have to play with in LoL until roit brought in Oceanic servers. Actually I didn't notice the lag until just before I left. Will get better with time for sure =)
    Thinking of doing the server again Sunday at 5pm MST. I might also bring it up tonight, not decided yet. Looking forward to building more SteamPower tech!
  • steppinrazorsteppinrazor REGISTERED Posts: 7 Podling
    I'd love to join, if you have room? :) Once I can make the time I'm thinking about hosting too. I have ton of old boxes and spare parts. I even have an old server box sitting next to me that I tried getting a Mumble VoIP server going. The main problem was that I could never figure out port forwarding and I think my internet service has me set on a dynamic routing externally. I didn't want to mess with it and end up losing the internet (my family would go crazy without their Netflix!).
    Turns out port forwarding was really easy, at least on mine. I'm hosting on a laptop but there doesn't seem to be an issue. Doesn't look like I'll host today but probably tomorrow. Last time there weren't more then three people on at once so I don't think you'll have trouble. I'll allow everyone to join who wants to, but we might have to ask someone to leave if my laptop starts to melt. Doubt that'll happen until at least 5 or 6 players.
  • johnycilohoklajohnycilohokla REGISTERED, Developers Posts: 283 Developer
    I'll try to join tomorrow :)
    Hopefully the ping will not affect the game too badly.
    My Blog
    jc.png
      yt.png  t.png  
    Okay cool! You'll have to teach me port forwarding (especially if dedicated servers come out for Linux). Is the time still 5 pm? What timezone is would that be? I someone mention Seattle, and my ISP probably has my IP set up there. So I think I'll have a good connection.

How much horse power does the server need (I assume dedicated ones will need a bit more)? My little Linux server box doesn't exactly have the latest technology. :)
    How much horse power does the server need (I assume dedicated ones will need a bit more)? My little Linux server box doesn't exactly have the latest technology. :)

The multiplayer that you can host from client will definitely use up more resources, since you are actually playing the game and hosting a server.

The dedicated sever should run with significantly less resources, while the physics calculation will still need to be on the server there is no need to render anything and there will be no rendering related CPU calculations and the ram usage will be smaller, well obviously this is per player so big dedicated server will need more power.

At this moment there is no way to tell how much power the server will need, there is a lot to it and it will depend on things like render distance, how scattered the players are, how many mods you play with(and how optimized those are) and the amount of object you have loaded.

BTW: If you have access to the router port forwarding is simple enough, just find you router and follow the instructions, the port is 6600 UDP.
    My Blog
    jc.png
      yt.png  t.png  
    Sigil is from Seattle but has slow internet so he kept lagging out.

My laptop has 8GB of RAM, Core i7 processor (3612QM, from 2012 so things have probably improved) and AMD Radeon 7730M 2GB graphics. While 3 people were on, TUG was burning through about 5.5 GB of RAM, I've never had a program do that since I added virtually every mod I could think of to Minecraft (~350 I think).

Internet speed for me seems to vary. Cox told me I'd get 50 mbps, usually I get 30 down and 3 up but right now my upload is clocking at a relatively massive 14, so hopefully I keep that 14 tomorrow. I'm guessing you'll want a download speed of at least 3-5 as a client. Here's a thing: http://www.speedtest.net/

I think overall the limiting factor is how much area needs rendering; 3 people close together isn't bad when I limit the render distance to 8 but if I get 5+ people or folks want to go exploring I may have to tune that down to 4-6.
    I have a tower from 2009. It was a pretty nice computer back then. I had the terabyte hard drive and one of my 4 Gig memory sticks go bad at the same time, but it's still kicking. I replaced the hard drive but I'm down from 16 GB of memory to 12 GB.

Here's the specs.

CPU: 64-bit Intel Quad Core i5-750 @ 2.66 Ghz
    RAM: 12 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450

I'll have to get the specs on the little server box but I have a ton of old memory to put in it and probably a motherboard somewhere around here. It's a 64-bit with 3 hard drives (a 160 GB and two 20 GB ones, not sure though but yes it is old... maybe its a 200 GB a 160 GB and a 20 GB or something...).

Anyway, I hope the dedicated servers have the ability to run on Linux because I have a ton of install disks for all sorts of distros and I haven't had a chance to use them recently.

Man, I am a giant nerd... maybe this isn't the kingdom for me. XP

-steppinrazor
    Server will be up starting at 6pm MST aka Arizona time (1am GMT), that's 40 minutes from this posting. I might have it earlier if I can finish what I'm doing. Remember, SteamPower mod for 0.8.2 must be installed or things will get weird.

Server IP is 68.228.33.188:6600. I'll probably keep it open for about 2 hours, though we might keep playing if we do something amazing. See you all there!

PS Send me a PM so I know to expect you, that way I don't walk away or miss the login memo in-game.

EDIT: Server is officially open! :D
    Doesn't look like I can connect.
    My Blog
    jc.png
      yt.png  t.png  
    Sorry, should be good to go now. My port forwarding was set to the wrong local IP so I changed it to the right one.

By the way, steppinrazor, this site is super useful, just go through and find your router model and it'll walk you through how to set up port forwarding. http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/
    Sorry I had to close it down early, but I'll try to make this a weekly thing. Any suggestions on a better time? We're all over the world, but if 2pm for Rawr / 1am for Johny / 5pm for Sigil isn't the best, I'm somewhat flexible.

Ironically, seems Rawr had the best connection outside of my house so far. Hopefully NK is able to improve the prediction for mining and perhaps the connection stability. If anyone has thoughts on what I can do to improve my connection so things are more stable, I'm listening, but I'm guessing I'm doing the best I can.
    Zake wrote:
    Sorry I had to close it down early, but I'll try to make this a weekly thing. Any suggestions on a better time? We're all over the world, but if 2pm for Rawr / 1am for Johny / 5pm for Sigil isn't the best, I'm somewhat flexible.

Thanks for letting me test few things today, it looks like the ping/latency 200ms+ still needs a good bit of work.
    I'm ok with that time.
    My Blog
    jc.png
      yt.png  t.png  
    Zake wrote:
    Ironically, seems Rawr had the best connection outside of my house so far.
    hehe! Score 1 for New Zealand, the under dog.
    Who's up for more server play? Planning on 5pm Arizona time, Saturday March 7.

Remember to have the latest SteamPower installed. We'll be playing the same world, follow the torches from spawn to the base.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Server+Time%21&iso=20150307T17&p1=393&ah=3
    Oh! thought I missed this ... silly NZ time being 1 day ahead. Catch ya soon.
    [strike]It'll be up in just a hot second.[/strike] It's now online, IP is 68.228.33.188:6600. PM me or post if you have connection issues.

Had to re-install the game recently and it looks like things like player inventories may not have saved.